Wolseley Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wolseley Group Chief Executive John Martin
John Martin

1. "Human Resources"

Pros

Good development opportunities available if your manager nominates you

Cons

Matrix organization - hard to get stuff done

2. "No training"

Former Employee - Integrated Buyer
    Former Employee - Integrated Buyer

Pros

Seems like a good company. If you are an insider you are treated well.

Cons

Nepotism, favouritism, no training, poor management. Unless they change their philosophy with training, turnover will continue.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Better managerial skills will only benefit their support staff.

3. "Credit Assistant"

Former Employee - Credit Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Credit Assistant in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Wolseley (Less than a year)

Pros

They had great benefits and holidays.

Cons

Supervisor did not like to train or interact with employees.

5. "Employee oriented"

Current Employee - Tool Crib Attendant in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - Tool Crib Attendant in Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Wolseley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication within entire company

Cons

Difficult to change shifts unless someone quits

Advice to Management

Not let customers dictate how our staff should do things

"Would not recommend to anyone"

I worked at Wolseley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros that I can think of. Very lacking. Gain some sales experience but it is limited as large accounts are kept solely to very few people.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership and training is nonexistent. Often times performance goals are made for the sole intention to see others flounder. Very much a good ol boys club and no communication is existent. Also company direction in the industrial field is extremely lacking. No professional knowledge and capability specifically within the application engineering fields for automation engineering. Competitors will soon discover the largest weakness is lack of knowledge from Wolseley as they are still basing their business practices off Ferguson a successful subsidiary of Wolseley in the commercial plumbing and fixtures world. Typical week consists of mandatory 50 hours (expect more typically 60 hour work weeks and working on the weekends) Extremely stressful environment. Bosses yell at employees and create more problems than solutions

Advice to Management

Clear the existing leaders from leadership roles and start from a clean slate. Bring in knowledgable people who have real experience in the field who actually train. Emerson Process will continue to dominate the field with engineers and contractors who require real expertise

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Wolseley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Ferguson has some great employees. Unfortunately, they are owned and controlled by Wolseley. I loved what I did, most of my co-workers and my team but after two years I couldn't handle the bullying and horrible work/life balance anymore.

Cons

Most toxic environment you can imagine. Turnover alone is evidence of this. I feel sorry for the employees in the UK that can't even leave for three months when they want to get out. Incompetent management that are bullies. Worst part is that the bullies are known but nothing is done about it. Worked with some great people who have all left in the past 6 months. HR in Wolseley and Ferguson do not care about employees and are corrupt. If you are considering a position in Ferguson but will report to Wolseley, do some serious research. Also, ensure you have tough skin and don't mind being screamed at and sworn at; and being thrown under the bus and not supported.
    Heads of departments in Wolseley speak poorly of and disrespectfully about leadership in the other companies they own (including Ferguson) and in front of employees.

Advice to Management

Eventually the bullying will turn into a harassment suit and then you will HAVE to deal with the bullying that is overlooked by leadership and HR. Look at the massive turnover and don't take lame excuses for the reasoning. Require exit interviews and have them delivered to executives and not the bullies themselves. Some people that left weren't allowed to complete an exit interview and another had to do it in front of the bully and HE wrote the responses and made the employee sign what he wrote without giving the employee a chance to read everything that had HE had written before signing.
    Your culture is horrible and lacks leadership willing to stand up for what is right and ethical to make long overdue changes. People are afraid, and rightfully so; hence the reason you lost so much great talent in the past year. HR performs "investigations" and then managers report that all is well and everyone is content. While everyone looks at each other wondering how that was the outcome when everyone had so many issues that they shared with HR. You have heads of departments that should be independent but are buddies with other departments and give preferential treatment by looking the other way or letting things slide that they shouldn't. I could go in but I think I've gotten the point across.

"Actuation and Controls sales for mid atlantic region"

Former Employee - Actuation and Controls Sales and Support in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Actuation and Controls Sales and Support in Richmond, VA

I worked at Wolseley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits: 5% match 401k, anthem blue Cross PPO 10 Ferguson pays 1/2, ESP, potential for advancement if you are a male...and being white helps a great deal

Cons

Long hours, employees (upper management included) are stretched thin, pay scale and room for advancement is considerably lower for female employees compared to their male contemporaries.

Advice to Management

Take care of the good ones. Eventually they (like myself) will leave when they realize the juice ain't worth the squeeze. The industry is high paced, stressful, and requires incredible attention to detail...you can't get by on sales trainees alone, eventually your customers (as amazing as they are) will turn away due to poor quality service and lack of knowledge.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wolseley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Long hours if we are going to keep on the edge of business

Advice to Management

Work less hours.

"OK if your face fits"

I have been working at Wolseley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people in the organisation. Many changes made to the organisation were needed and have been effectively executed.

Cons

Decisions not always made for objective reasons by senior management. Demotivating managers in certain areas whose behaviour appears to go unaccounted for. Some parts of the business were retained for too long when they were not contributing.

Advice to Management

Make decisions for objective reasons and be honest with employees.

11. "SharePoint Administrator"

I worked at Wolseley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is highly valued, pay is significant OK upon joining

Cons

No significant pay review, career progression is almost non-existent