Wolters Kluwer Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Wolters Kluwer Chairman, Executive Board and CEO Nancy McKinstry
Nancy McKinstry

1,008 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Pros

I enjoyed the people that I worked with and the work that I did.

Cons

The biggest dowside was the hiring process, as a returning seasonal (for four yrs) who was working on my accounting degree I was passed over for a full time position more than once.

Advice to Management

I would consider revising the hiring process, and related requirements should be clear. When I applied any combination of experience and education were going to be considered, but It didnt happen that way. To be clear: NO one without a four year degree was hired, in spite of my four years experience working with the software.

2. "Marketing Campaign Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Campaign Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Campaign Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience to learn, and lots of opportunities to cross-train.

Cons

Stuck in a cubicle all day with little interaction.

"Wolters Kluwer - consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Salary in conformity with the market
    Flexibility, possibility to work from home if necessary.
    International projects

Cons

Opportunities for training are limited
    Almost no guidance, especially for newcomers
    Limited career opportunities

5. "Over all a good company"

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO and other good benefits

Cons

Constant changes all the time

6. "Overall, a good place"

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time

Pros

A very liberal telecommuting policy. (depending on the department you work in, see CONS) Good relations with other departments

Cons

While the editorial departments have liberal telecommuting policies, customer service & tech support people have to be in the office on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Management should abandon the in-person presentations. Not everyone can make the live meetings, because of different workflow demands. Management presentations should be recorded and available at employees' discretion. Power Point presentations in the live meetings have been too cluttered, and are best suited for on-line reading.

7. "Global Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours and coworkers are amazing. The benefits aren't terrible either! Executive leadership is amazing and communicates clear goals to whole company.

Cons

Immediate management can be short sided.

Advice to Management

Consider potential and customer satisfaction along with production and numbers earned.

8. "Analyst"

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time

Pros

Good vacation, benefits and can learn top niche industry tools and knowledge.

Cons

Management are least bothered about the employees benefits and are not open minded. Lot of politics.

"Boring and Relatively Secure"

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time

Pros

Depending on the team you're on this could be a cushy job with work life balance for someone with caring responsibilities. 4 weeks of PTO for the first year. 5 weeks for the 5th year. 6 weeks for the 10th year.
    Telecommuting is available.

Cons

Lots of management turnover. There is a software development office in India, so if you need to work with them, then be prepared for after hours calls, work, etc. A lot of the developers are from a different culture that have difficulty respecting female engineers. General lack of curiosity to improve software development practices.

"Environment going downhill"

Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Wolters Kluwer (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, ability to work from home (depends on manager), plenty of PTO. I was very pleased with this company with my prior manager.

Cons

A new manager was assigned to my team and it was like working for a micro-managing tyrant. WFH was taken away for no apparent reason. Every morning meeting felt like a "defend your job" session. Work environment went downhill fast. Whole team was demoralized.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like replaceable cogs in your corporate machine or you will start to see a higher turnover rate. There are plenty of better companies out there to work for.

"Good overall company, no career mobility, too much politics"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work-Life balance
    - Generous PTO
    - Good number of holidays
    - Time flexibility
    - Annual bonus
    - Tuition reimbursement
    - Paid developer conferences
    - MSDN licenses

Cons

- Too much office politics
    - Inability of management to distinguish high performers from average performers and under performers
    - No recognition for high achievements or taking on extra responsibilities
    - Limited upward career mobility
    - Promotions only given to those in the inner circle of upper management
    - Some staff with longest history in company and in key positions have severe attitude and ego problems (very difficult to work with)

Advice to Management

Management at the TeamMate office needs to take the following suggestions from those who left:

- You need to distinguish high performers from average and under performers. You make no effort to recognize the achievements of high performers, which is why you have lost highly skilled and knowledgeable workers over the last few years.
    - You need to institute a fair and impartial policy of promoting those who delivery high quality results. You need to stop promoting people who only belong to the inner circle of upper management without delivery high quality results.
    - For such a small office with fewer than 100 staff, your organization has too much unnecessary office politics, such as office gossip, backstabbing, and throwing people under the bus. Such an environment makes it very demotivating for those interested in doing their work and staying away from office politics.
    - You need to recognize that those in key positions of the company have the worst attitudes and you need to address their behavior before more people leave your company. These people know they have a lot of power in your organization and will not hesitate to throw honest people under the bus because they refuse to acknowledge their own mistakes and take responsibility for their actions.
    - If I were the VP of TeamMate, I would know who are the high performers from the office politicians. Your organization can produce the same work output with half the people because I would downsize half the company.

Showing 1,008 of 1,068 reviews