Women for Women International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer L. Windsor

1. "Great People, Great Mission"

Pros

Working at WfWI, I am motivated by an incredible mission and many supportive coworkers. WfWI has an incredible mission and the efforts of the majority of people who work here truly is driven by their desire to play whatever small part they can to support women in war torn countries. What I appreciate most about the organization is its activities on the ground for women’s social and economic empowerment as well as for changing the hearts and minds of the men in her life who may be limiting, or worse, abusing her. I have seen the trainers working with women in two country offices and they also truly cared about the women they serve. I am inspired again and again whenever I think about the high likelihood that the training could be the first time that some of the women participants have been "allowed," by their husband/male relatives to join a group that is intended for their own personal and economic development. For me, the best part of the working at WfWI is knowing that, because of my indirect effort to support the whole organization, each woman of the thousands we serve each year has a safe space to discuss with her peers about any issues that worry her, which at times includes abusive situations. I’m motivated by the fact that through the community of individuals she's training with, with her neighbors and with the mere presence and acceptance of the work of WfWI by her home community, she is able to have that space, a few times a month, to really feel safe to learn about herself as an individual, to know that her fellow neighbors can be her lifeline, and she truly does have rights as a woman.

Cons

There have been many leadership transitions in recent years and the economic downturn in the United States has affected non-profits across the board. As comes with any transition including those two factors, there have been ups and downs during my time at WfWI. We are a small team in HQ (around 50 people) in an open office environment so what has kept me going is working with a team of hardworking, committed individuals around me, and of course the inspiration from the mission of our work on the ground. I believe that the current global leadership team at WfWI is made up of incredibly motivated, seasoned professionals in their fields who will continue to keep the ship sailing forward in the midst of transition.

"Incredibly Mismanaged Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Women for Women International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The altruistic mission is what motivates employees to remain at the organization. Lots of young coworkers who's first jobs are with WfWI. There's a large focus on building camaraderie after work hours and doing fun in-office team building activities and all levels of staff participate.

Cons

WfWI is undergoing considerable financial hardship (as it has experienced financial decline in sponsorship/fundraising in the last several years). The senior leadership & numerous Presidents in the last few years have also contributed to the chaos of transition. The current leadership isn't very transparent about expectations and what their needs are, and as a result, there are many revolving positions open. It also isn't one of the most innovative, effective or transparent development organizations regarding fundraising models or in-country programs.

Advice to Management

Leave.

"Poor management and unfair treatment"

I worked at Women for Women International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven organization with the majority of low to mid level employees committed to the cause. Great location and nice office.

Cons

In no way is this organization an Equal Opportunity Employer, as Management condones unfair treatment of employees with intellectual disabilities. Shameful!
    The women of HR play favorites and have a "mean girls" attitude when it comes to dealing with employee issues. Complaints made by female employees about the inappropriate behavior of male coworker(s) is also not taken seriously by HR.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for your poor management and lack of care instead of putting the blame on your hardworking employees!

"Poor Management"

I worked at Women for Women International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lack of accountability at all levels special from Senior Management. Senior Management does not lead with example. Lack of governance and risk and compliance. Unrestricted funding affects the organization in many ways.

Cons

Employees feel passion for their work.

Advice to Management

YOU NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE AND SHOW TRANSPARENCY WITH DONORS, REGULATORS, MOREOVER TO EMPLOYEES

"Management Changes on a Weekly Basis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Women for Women International (More than a year)

Pros

The office is in a good location, close to the metro. The office is in a secure building with new office spaces and conference rooms.

Cons

There is too much turnover, particularly of the higher level staff. They are constantly letting people go, only to hire people who are even worse, and who choose not to stay around.

"Great Idea Poor Execution"

I worked at Women for Women International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are drawn to the mission.

Cons

Management is horrible. No clear communication. Unrealistic expectations.

8. "Growing Pains"

Pros

Solid mission, working in some of the most difficult places on the planet.

Cons

Growing pains have lead to high staff turnover and eroding staff morale.

Advice to Management

Choose a clear strategic direction and stick with it.

"A total mess of an organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Women for Women International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Hard-working team that was dedicated to the job
    Nice new office in central Washington D.C.

Cons

Terrible CEO and Board management
    Poor financial performance led to constant layoffs
    Culture of fear
    Constant cutting of benefits
    No pay-raise in two years

Advice to Management

Take better care of employees. Treat them as positive and valuable additions to the team. Be smarter about the business decisions made as selfish and impulsive strategies lead to bad financial performance and overall a poor business environment.

"Great mission and field work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

WfWI's mission is inspiring and the field work is profound and legitimately changes women's lives. It is a good place to work if you focus on the programs and their impact in some of the most challenging places in the world.

Cons

The organization is still transitioning from the founder to permanent professional leadership. The transition has been bumpy and it can be a challenging environment for the staff.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on the employees and provide clear strategic leadership.

"Good organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Women for Women International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment, mission/vision oriented, nice staff

Cons

Lack of accountability, lack of formal procedures, poor management practices