Wonder Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

3.7
Wonder Founder and CEO  Justin Wohlstadter
Justin Wohlstadter
Pros
  • "being able to work from home/remote allows for a flexible schedule(in 32 reviews)

• "Reviews are blind, and unlike other freelance platforms, employees are protected from insatiable clients(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Use researchers to provide information to clients, then tell the researcher that the research was not good enough(in 34 reviews)

• "Review process is subjective and demoralizing(in 20 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Great company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and culture and benefits

Cons

typical startup problems especially with the pandemic

2. "Terrible Executive Leadership and 0 Transparency"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers and individual managers

Cons

-This company has 0 long term upward trajectory and lacks a strong business plan. -Executive Leadership is the worst I have seen at any company I have worked for. They painted a picture of a healthy company multiple times before mass layoffs in both 2020 and 2019. -Compensation is well below industry standard -Some executive leaders are rarely seen or heard from.

"Full Timers beware"

Former Employee - I Worked At Wonder Full-time

I worked at Wonder full-time

Pros

Yearly offsite team retreat is a lot of fun Smart, nice, and hardworking coworkers Good work life balance As a part timer you can make good money if you are good Fair compensation They have been nice to give severance pay to laid off staff

Cons

Not a stable company There have been mass layoffs in 2019 and 2020 The direction of the company pivots massively every quarter Confusing company vision The executive team sugarcoats everything You will not know how the company is performing until they need to make cuts When they do make cuts you will have no prior warning or no prior indication the company is struggling Culture of toxic positivity The executive team does not have lot of experience and are not experts in the industry they are trying to establish themselves in

"Sprinting to nowhere"

1.0

I worked at Wonder full-time

Pros

Scrappy startup where you have to wear a lot of hats, which allows you to learn a lot

Cons

Huge disconnect between executive team and everyone else. Toxic culture - everyone is always stressed and overworked. Company was built around the sales team, when it should have been built around the product. Constant grind, but half of the time you aren't sure what you're actually working on or how it's going to help the company grow.

Continue reading

"These people don’t pay their employees"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Wonder part-time for less than a year

Pros

I get to log off whenever I want!

Cons

I know your work is based off of some rating system that support never bothered to explain, but I think a 4 star rating deserves pay at least. I completed 5 jobs and was only paid $16 each for TWO of those. You get to participate in “Mentor Week” and then never actually receive a mentor or a notice that it’s happening.

"Always be learning"

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People: Positive, Driven, Thoughtful. The people at Wonder are remarkable. - Growth Opportunities: Plentiful. Many interesting problems to solve and skills to learn. You'll wear multiple hats as the company evolves. - Values: Strong, Clear. The team is genuinely curious, humble, tenacious and positive in their approach to problem solving and to each other.

Cons

- Strong, unapologetic values: Leadership is direct about the company's values, work style, and purpose. Those who embody them will flourish, those who do not may struggle. - Learning by trial: At all levels, learning often comes by trial and error. If you're looking for formal, established training programs this may not be the best fit for you.

"Amazing people on the mid tier"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly hard working and brilliant mid-tier employees. - Lots of room for growth on the Sales side. - Some of the most gifted PMs, who will do incredible things (likely elsewhere).

Cons

- Product is lacking in direction. - Non-sales teams operate in panic mode 95% of the time. - "Flexible schedules" actually means that employees are expected to become available 24/7. - Upper management has bias to recommend automation, even when it's the wrong call. - Hires lots of entry level employees with no plans to help them develop. - Managers have overbooked schedules and no time to mentor their direct reports. - "Automate yourself out of a job" could put you out of a job. - Understaffed Post-sale teams. - People dissapear with no indication why.

"Be bold, be curious"

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

// Curiosity Driven: Wonder is an ideal environment for the self-directed learner; curiosity and action are applauded. // Product Forward: every corner of the company is a sandbox; lots of room to experiment, analyze, critique, and build. // People Bound: the people are incredible; they bring a unique and diverse set of skills / experiences to the table that make for a truly incredible workplace. // Growth Opportunity: plenty of roles to fill with a strong penchant for promoting from within.

Cons

// Product Whiplash: the downsides to rapid building + internal team mobility are the speed & coherence of product change communications reaching every corner of the org. I know this is already a company-wide priority. // Rocketship Expectations: Wonder very much operates as an early-stage company, and the people work incredibly hard on the problems they care about (or the problems they want to automate). Be prepared to work hard and put in the extra hours; it's only a con if you're not! // Fast & Furious: conversations tend to be critical and analytical; know your stats and be prepared to defend when someone shines a light in your dark. It's a great way to learn if you can maintain an objective perspective.

"Some amazing people remain at Wonder. It's a shame what has happened in the last year."

I worked at Wonder full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Opportunities to advance due to turnover. Everyone seems to become the "head of" something - The product & Eng teams are relentlessly experimenting to somehow try and make the product work - Some great people (recruiters take note)

Cons

- Massive turnover in the last six months, especially on the Executive Team. This includes Head of Eng., Head of Sales, Head of People, another Head of People/Ops, Head of Business Intelligence. This is very telling, especially since most abruptly quit. - Employees are often fired (or quit) without any communication to the majority of the company. People just disappear. - The product isn't actually reliable, but we don't talk about that. - The way certain employees are treated is very troubling. The issues at Wonder are beyond the "typical startup challenges". I encourage you to reach out to ANY former employee - you will learn the real story.

Wonder Response

February 28, 2019People Operations

Hi there, It sounds like you had some bad experiences here and it’s painful to read that you’re left with negative feelings. However painful, this feedback is really helpful for us and will propel us to be better, so thank you for sharing. We work hard to foster transparency, even in sticky situations, so here goes: - Since the creation of the exec team, 4 exec members have either been fired or quit. Reasons range from poor fits to mis-hires to life changes & cross-country moves. These departures aren’t easy - they affect a lot of people and require a lot of resources, so to mitigate in the future, we’ve significantly expanded our exec team interview process to ensure it’s the right fit for both parties before making the commitment. - We’ve tried multiple different strategies to communicate departures across company (all-hands, emails, Slack messages etc.), each of which worked to varying degrees and come with its own set of pros and cons. After speaking with advisors and other startup exec teams, it’s clear this is a process startups often struggle with as they grow. We’ve navigated towards a comm strategy that ensures everyone necessary is informed, while being as transparent as legally possible, while maintaining employee focus and morale. It’s not perfect, so I’m sure we will keep tweaking it as we learn. - Our product is definitely a work in progress. We’re an early stage startup working to make knowledge accessible at a massive scale and it will be a loooong journey to get there. Improving our product is something the entire company talks about regularly - from weekly company-wide updates, to brainstorms, to channels in slack dedicated to ideas and product feedback, to retros to learn what has worked and what hasn’t. - It would be helpful to hear more about your experience so we can learn from it. Assuming you still have a number or email you can use, we would really appreciate if you’d reach out to us with more details. - Wonder Team

"Best place to work for brilliant, humble, hungry, team-oriented individuals"

5.0

I have been working at Wonder full-time

Pros

This is the best family (best way to describe Wonder) to be a part of if you enjoy solving really challenging problems with other brilliant people.

Cons

There are so many fun opportunities to work on it's sometimes hard to stay focused.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 67 English Reviews