Wonder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Wonder Founder and CEO Justin Wohlstadter
Justin Wohlstadter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The best work from home job in terms of pay and support I have found" (in 25 reviews)

• "You get to choose when u want to work" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to check in every 30 minutes to show you're working on the request" (in 16 reviews)

• "Researches sometimes took a lot of time to finish" (in 7 reviews)

"Best place to work for brilliant, humble, hungry, team-oriented individuals"

I have been working at Wonder full-time

Pros

This is the best family (best way to describe Wonder) to be a part of if you enjoy solving really challenging problems with other brilliant people.

Cons

There are so many fun opportunities to work on it's sometimes hard to stay focused.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"OK research job"

I have been working at Wonder part-time

Pros

The ability to work remotely.

Cons

Pay is calculated at a flat rate and the time estimated to complete each job is underestimated.

Oct 5, 2018 – Head of Community

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your experience at Wonder - glad to hear you've enjoyed the flexibility of the work.

We would really like to learn more details from you about which jobs you work... More

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - SDR in New York, NY

I have been working at Wonder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- the people: everyone is super smart and motivated, and most of all, humble and honest.
    - fantastic work life balance
    - selling a product that basically sells itself, applies to any person in any industry
    - management is very helpful
    - There is no hierarchical structure - you can chat with the CEO whenever you want, and he'll actually listen to your ideas.

Cons

- As with any startup, things can change quickly and you need to be able to roll with the punches

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to your employees, it is what makes Wonder so great.

"Good in theory, Awful in execution"

Current Employee - Research Writer
    Current Employee - Research Writer

I have been working at Wonder part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Sounds like a great gig on paper
    - Great active and supportive online community
    - Frequent communication and clear on-boarding process

Cons

It is very hard to be successful at this job. When I applied, I understood that I'd be writing research reports with a timed deadline that you could extend by 30 increments minutes if needed. However, they must have just revamped their system, because no such extension exists. You have four hours to complete an assignment and whatever is completed within that time is automatically submitted for review. Four hours seems like a lot of time, but it is difficult to read and synthesize long and detailed notes and sources, create and outline and write high-quality error-free pieces. Those who are successful at this must be machines!
    -If you submit work that does not pass 4.5 in quality, they send it back to you for revisions, however, you must still be online and available. If you worked on a project at night and slept afterward, you'll wake up to emails requesting further edits, but your opportunity window will have expired and all of your work is discarded and the research request is sent back to the general pool. Truly a waste of valuable time.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the application process should reflect the actual experience. During the application, we're allowed unlimited time to complete a research report, but in actuality there is a 4-hour timer. Some people don't work well under such tight time pressure with no ability to extend the time. Being transparent about this during the onboarding process probably would have weeded me out and save us both a lot of time.

Oct 5, 2018 – Head of Community

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback about your experience on Wonder. It’s really helpful for us to understand how we could have better set up your expectations about assignment time limits in... More

"SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in New York, NY

I have been working at Wonder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Selling an amazing product: Wonder itself
    -Above industry+NYC standard for salary/OTE
    -Excellent support by sales ops/management

Cons

-It's a startup: sometimes things aren't as clear cut as a large corporation
    -Training varies, but is increasingly formalized

"Tedious, somewhat boring work. Really nice and polite management."

I worked at Wonder part-time

Pros

- Work as much or as little as your time allows.
    - Helpful management. Gave constructive criticism when needed. Were not patronizing at all.
    -A range of different tasks to choose from.

Cons

-Tedious and somewhat boring work.
    - Low pay for each individual task.
    - Payment amount did not always correspond to work done.

Mar 20, 2018 – Head of Community

Thank you for your review of Wonder! Glad to hear that you enjoyed aspects of your experience working with our team. We've recently rolled out a guaranteed pay program for our analysts with strong... More

"Freelance Analyst"

I worked at Wonder part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home on your schedule.

Cons

Peers determine whether your work is paid o not. Leadership lacking control over "teamwork" leaves competitive co-workers in charge of evaluating work. Work is not dependable. You must maintain a 4.8 out of 5 rating on all work or you could be locked out.

Advice to Management

Take control of the process so it is consistent and fair. Stop allowing peers to grade each others work because it has become a personality contest.

Oct 5, 2018 – Head of Analyst Success

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'd like to say plainly that review should never be a personality contest. All work that goes through the Wonder Knowledge Assembly... More

"Wonder can work for you...if you learn, follow the set up, and complete the work."

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Wonder part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work on your own schedule. I used Wonder for income after I had been laid off, and ran into a lot of scams out there. At first, I thought this was going to fall into that category as well. But it didn't. It took a couple of months to learn the ropes - the format is very specific and you need to follow the formats - and they are all provided. Once I learned the formats, and learned where to find information, I was more than covering my bills, and was able to have a bit of a social life again. When you start, it will take a while to get a sourcing or writing job completed. Once you learn the tricks, you'll be able to complete jobs in about an hour. Make sure to stick to topics you enjoy or want to learn about!

Cons

It is painstaking starting out. While there are templates, and your work gets reviewed, it can be upsetting if your job gets kicked to another person. Reviewers should not only review, but instead mentor. While it may seem like that's what they are doing, sometimes the reviewers comments don't help very much, or they haven't read the important details pertaining to the job. Something changed with the website which doesn't allow me to see sourcing jobs available - I don't like being given a topic. I work full time, and when I do get to work on Wonder, I want to be able to pick something I enjoy!

Advice to Management

It would be more helpful with someone new starting out, to be given a "buddy" to help guide them - show them the tricks, tips, formats, work in tandem - until the new sourcer/writer can be on their own.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Wonder part-time

Pros

A great team of folks .

Cons

I wish we could pick jobs.

Mar 20, 2018 – Head of Analyst Success

Hi! I'm glad to see you're enjoying your time with Wonder and thank you for the feedback.

We're always working to make sure that the requests you're working on are personally interesting. But, to... More

"Don't Waste Your Time unless You enjoy working for free"

Current Employee - Sourcer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Wonder part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I have discovered yet

Cons

I was excited to start but I have not been paid for my last two assignments even though I got a score of 4.0. The website states that you are paid $10 for your first three assignments and that you get $10 an assignment and $16 if you have a quality over 4.5 or so.

My last two assignments have been 4.0 stars and I have not gotten paid for them.

Glad I figured out this company was a scam the first week

Advice to Management

Pay people for work done

Mar 20, 2018 – Head of Analyst Success

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We'd like to get this payment issue resolved ASAP. If you could please message our Community Manager, @Rhett_Admin on the Community Slack... More