Wonga.com Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wonga.com Group CEO Tara Kneafsey
Tara Kneafsey

Pros
  • Great people, lots of socials and free drinks, can be a bit hectic at times but you get lots of opportunity to try new things (in 7 reviews)

• The opportunity to work with really smart people on very interesting technologies/problems (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Redundancies are done now and the next year is going to be hard work to get the company back to making money again (in 3 reviews)

• Company has been through 2 rounds of redundancies which was hard for a lot of people to deal with (in 2 reviews)

"Hard work but great rewards"

Current Employee - Greater London in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Greater London in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of socials and free drinks, can be a bit hectic at times but you get lots of opportunity to try new things. Difficult past but really starting to see the results of positive change.

Cons

Long hours & hard work. New office is a bit corporate.

"Head of Networks"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer Head of Networks in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer Head of Networks in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a great IT vision

Cons

A small company, but anyway it has a great vision

May 16, 2017 – Group CEO

Thank you for your review! I'm really glad you're enjoying working with us here at Wonga.

"Brilliant place to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources BP in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources BP in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vibe and energy. Great team. I worked closely with the Tech team and found the CTO in particular to be really inspiring. He has a real passion for his team and is driven by doing the right thing for his people, company and customers. Some difficult changes and decisions implemented but managed professionally and sensitively. A real inspiration!

Cons

Pace of change can be quite demanding but is generally was well supported. Some difficult decisions impacting some of the team had to be made which no one likes and whilst managed well I think has left a bit of a sour view with some that have had to leave which may explains some of the more negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. There's been some difficult decisions that have had to be made but it's all for the longevity of the company. The people are great and the leaders were positive and driven by improving the customer and people propositions.

Apr 10, 2017 – Group CEO

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review – as a company that prides itself on being FinTech to the core it is great to hear you had a brilliant experience working in our Tech team. The last ... More

"wonga is turning the corner"

Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the 'old timer' engineers are gone and the new engineers don't have any of the bad habits of the past. The new engineers that have been hired in the past 2 years are really strong and have improved the product and code base. The new management team (CEO/CTO) all know way more about fintech than the old managers and will be able to make the company profitable again. Office in London is in a great location, weekly beers are great.

Cons

Company has been through 2 rounds of redundancies which was hard for a lot of people to deal with. Redundancies are done now and the next year is going to be hard work to get the company back to making money again.

Advice to Management

Keep clearing out the 'old timer' engineers and staff who were part of the problem with bad business and engineering decisions. The company can be saved and you should keep making the changes in the product and people that you need to keep the company from going bankrupt. It was a tough decision to make all of the layoffs but they were needed. I look at my time with the company in pride and hope you guys can make it work.

Apr 10, 2017 – Group CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I’m glad you had a positive experience working with us! The last couple of years have definitely presented their challenges for us but, while it ... More

"Wouldn't go back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, free breakfast, great company parties, new group and UK Ceo's really get it, can work from home if needed

Cons

No clear career paths, poor HRD, unclear goals, poor and late communication around changes that will affect the whole population, little or no pay increase in 2 years employment

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect, we are all adults and and can be trusted. Pay staff in line with market. Performance manage useless exco members

Mar 20, 2017 – Group CEO

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and I’m sorry that you are no longer part of the team here at Wonga. I agree with your point around communication, leaks to the media are always ... More

6. "From dawn till dusk"

Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As far as there's nothing really working or usable you can create a lot of things from scratch and gain a lot of useful experience in sandbox-mode. The average Joe is really helpful and friendly and this will help a lot.

Cons

The management culture is more suitable for developing economies and not the UK. That's hidden under a layer of employee-friendly things like free beer on Thursdays and work from home on Fridays.
    Managers can blame their employees on problems and get away with that - and that was always the case.

Advice to Management

The management style should be adapted to reflect UK business culture.

7. "Great"

Former Employee - *N/A in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - *N/A in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, free drinks on thursdays, relaxed dress code, smart dedicated people, fantastic office, listen to employees at all levels and are willing to hear unusual ideas

Cons

Difficult regulatory environment, CEO and his views inaccessible, definitely a barrier to reach senior staff, business model exploits the unfortunate, unclear future business model

Advice to Management

Become absorbed by a larger corporation or change your brand name. Should be less threatening as a business overall and less exploitive.

"Fast change, positive direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

1. New management team with unbelievable background. Much more experienced management team then usually seen at a company of Wonga’s size.
    2. Management team are visible (nobody has an office) and engage with staff and embrace everyone’s views.
    3. Amazing and smart colleagues, in every department who are passionate about improving the company and creating products that have a positive impact on our customers.
    4. Huge amount of diversity with colleagues from all corners of the globe.
    5. The passion all employees have for the company despite the negative past we are striving to do the best.
    6. Fast pace of change, nothing ever stays still the company is always striving to become better and do better.
    7. Lots of social events celebrating diversity.

Cons

1. Historic reputation can result in a lot of slagging from friends.
    2. Not everyone will understand that Wonga has and continues to change.
    3. A lot of good people have left over the last year as part of the restructure, it was quite hard to say goodbye whilst still moving quickly.
    4. The food in the canteen is poor.

Advice to Management

Try not to lose the companies entrepreneurial spirit as we become a more grown up company.

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was OK back in 2012, there were free drinks on Thursdays and there was a good vibe about the place.

Cons

Over time it has become more and more corporate and since all the senior staff and management left there is none of the old vibe left. The FCA changes also made them less profitable and so the chances of getting a pay rise went from slim to none.

When I left nobody had been offered an increase in salary in years.

The Share Option scheme is now and was always a complete joke, they try to reward you with share options and then lie about their value in order to trick the more gullible.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for the management, every manager of importance or who had been there for a while when I was there all abandoned the sinking ship.

10. "Great people, changing culture and direction"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonga is full of smart people trying to build innovative financial products. It is both a tech company and a finance company, and you'll be working with people with great experience in both areas.

Cons

Wonga's culture is changing thanks largely to new management. It's something that's going to take a while and there's a lot of uncertainty in the meantime. On the tech side of things, they're overstretched. Everyone wants to do good work, but it doesn't always happen.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the tech stack, enable more innovation.