Wood Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Wood Group Chief Executive Robin Watson
Robin Watson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule and decent work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Willing to innovate and look beyond traditional oil and gas (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management dont care about those who are doing the REAL work (in 7 reviews)

• High Stress environment due to the nature of the oil and gas industry, the highs are great but the lows cost people their jobs (in 4 reviews)

"Great company results hampered by Management"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Part of a large organization. Wood Group name is good on the resume for brand recognition. As a global company, there could be opportunities to work on an international basis. Company has good clients that could provide nice opportunities to network.

Cons

Lack of true leadership. Many "yes" managers unwilling to challenge organization leaders to make ethical decisions. Those that run against the grain do so at their risk. There is no true reporting entity within the company to go to for ethics violations. Very political organization.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Employees are quick to pick up on insincere words. Align your words and actions. At least be consistent with that.

"unhappy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the pay and other benefits

Cons

the lack of training available

Advice to Management

Very disappointed in the year I wasted at Wood Group.

"Previous employee send my resume in got a phone call, said would get with me later yhey never return my call/"

Former Employee - Landman in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Landman in South Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were a good compant to work for for 2 years, then project ended.

Cons

I am surprise no one has called me, to go back to work.

Advice to Management

Review all resume

"Mustang Engineering...Back stabbing company ! IT infrastructure management cannot be trusted."

Former Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance was ok. Team members were courteous to work with.

Cons

Laid me off right before Christmas citing budget cuts. I was in a perm position before i started with them. They quite literally "begged me" to join them as a contractor. Pleased with my performance they made me permanent. After the Linux infrastructure was setup/stable they suddenly let me go. Mind you there was "No notice/no heads up" and right before Christmas !! All they could do was "Apologize" fully cognizant that i had no time to find another position elsewhere. It was shocking to me as i have over 20 years experience and have never been laid off. Needless to say i question all the ethical BS they mouth about being "People Oriented".

Advice to Management

Stop playing games with peoples lives !

"Very Poor Company"

I have been working at Wood Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none. At times your run in to some great people.

Cons

Horribly run company from the CEO to the Operations Management group. They do not value their employees and the pay is not comparable to the market/industry. The morale is dog-eat-dog and there are a lot of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Send your management team to see Undercover Boss and learn how to value the workers or the people to pay your salaries.

"Disgraceful"

I have been working at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top heavy salary, good benefits.

Cons

no training, no backbones, very unorganized, unprofessional, bullying.

Advice to Management

Clean out your top heavy management and bring in people who know what they're doing.

"Horrible Core Values!"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were good and had talent. Too bad that they made a decision to work for WG.

Cons

Horrible company that I don't project to be around for long. One of the worse companies that I have ever worked for and I resigned because I couldn't take it anymore. My standards will not continually be compromised due to WG's unprofessionalism, disrespect, selfishness and Good-Ole boy mentality.

Advice to Management

Attend a seminar and relook at your core business strategy. Complete Employee Surveys and get a real pulse of the company. Analyze and create meaningful action plans to turn the company around immediately. Good luck!

8. "Woodgroup PSN"

Former Employee - Sales Parts Manager in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Parts Manager in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Wood Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Understanding of personal time off. Excellent Benefits, good work life balance. Safety is a priority for the company.

Cons

Frequent changes in office procedure often resulting in issues with Accounts Receivables. At times the environment is too familiar and the professional line is crossed by a few employees.

Advice to Management

Not much to say, other than at times the environment is too familiar and the professional line is crossed by a few employees.

9. "Avoid"

Pros

Before 2014, good place to work

Cons

After 2014, bad place to work!

Advice to Management

get new ones

"BEWARE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

work-life balance and vacation - very small office (pro & con)

Cons

This company first seemed like a very promising one. I searched and searched because I wanted the ability to gain entry into the Oil & Gas Industry in my profession. After interviewing and receiving the offer letter, I was looking very forward to joining the company until I actually started. Once I started, I felt a negative presence within the company and within the department. Many people began speaking negatively about the company itself and about the peers there. No one seemed to care whether the company succeeded or not, did not care or offer to help teach or show me around. I don't need anyone to walk with me or hold my hand as I am capable enough to succeed on my own but the company culture was a very negative one. I witnessed many arguments with co-workers and even became witness to arguments being held over the phone with one another. No leadership at all and management did not seem to take care of issues or resolve any problems colleagues had. At the end of the day I had to make a strong choice on whether to continue for the good money and position I accepted or to resign for the happiness of my life. I did not want to be miserable going to work everyday with a negative vibe or ambience in culture, so I decided to resign.

Advice to Management

Please improve work culture as I have heard many others whom have left this same company due to the nature and negative work culture atmosphere. Company has great potential but management needs to help address issues or hire more leaders and do everything possible to retain them. Even some of your own management lacks leadership capabilities.