Wood Mackenzie Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
Wood Mackenzie President Neal Anderson
Neal Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great opportunities to travel as an analyst and a good work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great place to learn about the energy industry (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Perhaps grown too fast too quick and as a result have too many layers and yet not enough career progression (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management is mostly absent as you don (in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive culture, global company, a team of highly intelligent but also humble people, excellent benefits, work/life balance, nice amenities in the office building, and 25 days of PTO for all employees. Overall, this is a great place to work.

Cons

When interviewing, I was concerned about the Verisk acquisition and Wood Mackenzie's stability during the recent downturn. I have since learned that most all of the challenges that came from being bought by Verisk were fairly minor and only felt for a short time. There were several positives as well (new systems, larger reach, more stability), and profit margins remained strong during the downturn.

Advice to Management

One of the most impressive things about WoodMac is how consistent the culture / work environment is in each office around the globe. My advice is to work to maintain the great benefits and culture - sometimes those can change after a merger, but I think that would be a mistake.

2. "Good place - particularly if you're starting out"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good morale particularly among the recently graduated from college
    - Exposure to the industry for the upstream analysts as you are visiting operators and learning the O&G industry as you go
    - Excellent reputation: WM is the gold standard
    - Good and improving collaboration among teams
    - Nice launching pad for B-school or something else
    - Excellent vacation

Cons

- Some insularity at the mid to upper level
    - Some naivete that we wouldn't be so vulnerable in the downturn

"Not the same company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for someone starting in the industry, to build experience and connections.
    4 weeks vacation right from the start

Cons

Woodmac was acquired by a larger company Verisk, and the culture has died.
    It is a Scottish company and has been biased towards staff in the UK getting more upward mobility.
    Not competitive in terms of salary.

Wood Mackenzie Response

Apr 24, 2017

Hi,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback for us. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the benefits on offer whilst you were at the Company.

We are going through changes, but our... More

"inexperienced mid-level managers"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie as a contractor

Pros

good co-workers, free gym from the building

Cons

inexperienced mid-level managers, a lot of BS from management, a lot of internal conflicts and fighting for power between departments

Advice to Management

na

"Getting close to point of no return"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Great stepping stone for people new to the energy industry
    * Healthcare and work/life balance are better than most other companies
    * VERY bright analysts

Cons

* Leadership suffers from 'Peter Principle' - virtually all executives have been promoted to their level of incompetence
    * Leadership has no path forward and afraid to show weakness by asking Verisk corporate centre for help
    * There is no career development plan; new hires need to come in with a mercenary plan of learning about the industry and then moving on to company with real career paths
    * Advancement (especially in Research) is all about politics both in the office and actual politics. Once you are on the wrong side of a political issue, hit the eject button and get out
    * New Research organisation is populated at the top with people in global roles having (a) no global experience, (b) no subject matter expertise, (c) horrible team management skills
    * I have never seen a less professional way of treating people. The public humiliation of people you have personal grievances with needs to stop. The public treatment of several high profile people pushed-out of the company was outrageous (and might have HR liability implications)

Advice to Management

WoodMac's leadership team lost credibility with the working stiffs when making the classic communication mistake of saying, "No more job cuts" after the Summer 2016 cost-cutting and then thinking people wouldn't notice the drip, drip, drip of co-workers disappearing.

There is no commercial strategy other than (a) cut costs by bleeding off head count and (b) expecting Account Managers to force clients to buy new products not ready for use.

It's time for a wholesale replacement of the Research leadership. I'll bet they aren't aware of how they were mocked after the recent Townhall about the (yet another) organisation. No one believes any of the new global appointments were the result of a "competitive process" because the fix was in for those individuals from the beginning. Everyone knew they were getting the best jobs back in July so it would have been more efficient to skip the charades and just name them.

When young analysts say, "That's the first time I've ever been lied to my face" organization morale can't get much worse. Young analysts were promised in May of 2014 there would be a well-defined vevelopment program by the September. It took until December to just get new titles, "Development we own it" is a non-functional joke, the forced ranking system imposed in November is seen as a pre-cursor to another major downsizing (rumors say starting January 2017), and the only workflow changes are is to ask people already running at 120% (don't know of anyone at less than 50 hours per week; many working 6-8 hours over each weekend) to produce and enhance research content "in your spare time".

Don't blame your line managers - the problems all start with you and your line management has no authority or "empowerment" (another word sneered with sarcasm around the office) to fix your mistakes. Take down the "Our Values" posters. They are Stalinesque and serve to remind people of what leadership doesn't believe in or fight for.

Sad thing is this section is just a venting exercise because leadership (including corporate leadership at Verisk) is marching like zombies

"Senior Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist/Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist/Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, five weeks vacation, work-family balance, opportunity to work from home

Cons

No leadership, pompous arrogance of mid-managers and senior analysts, green and inexperienced executive management, buddy system, disconnect between departments and toxic environment in general, generations of families working together in the same offices and often on the same teams.

Advice to Management

Get yourself some real managers instead of promoting friends and relatives.

Wood Mackenzie Response

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Engagement, HR

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed the benefits offered. We are very sorry to hear your concerns and appreciate your honesty. We'd be keen to discuss the issues you have... More

"was a great company"

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Life Work Balance, great people.

Cons

Its all about margins now. People come and go on daily basis.

8. "Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Nothing i have noticed during my term

9. "Summer Internship - Energy Consulting"

Current Intern - Energy Consulting in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Energy Consulting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie as an intern

Pros

Culture - people are very nice and authentic. A great culture of trust, collaboration, and teamwork exists at the firm

Cons

Low pay - nowhere near your typical MBA intern salary or full-time consulting salary

"Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of responsibility and meaningful projects.

Cons

Separation between all of the different functional groups of the business occasionally made communication more difficult.