Wood Mackenzie Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wood Mackenzie President Neal Anderson
Neal Anderson

Pros
Cons
  • Perhaps grown too fast too quick and as a result have too many layers and yet not enough career progression (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management is mostly absent as you don (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"great research & consulting platform"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a unique company, akin to a sell-side research platform, without the buy/sell/hold recommendations. Truly independent and objective in their views and still fairly conservative in their forecasting methodology. It's by far the biggest commodity research/consulting firm, with broad coverage of the commodities value chain, very sharp research analysts, seasoned consultants and global footprint. Its clients span the globe - oil majors, independent E&Ps, governments, investment banks, asset managers, regulatory bodies, miners, refiners, global professional services firms, etc. The firm is now owned by another global entity and publicly traded company (Verisk Analytics). Various opportunities are available within Research, Consulting and Sales/Marketing. The Sales team (where I spent a number of years) is diverse and focused on client segments. The investment banking coverage team is solid and the offering is uniquely designed for global banking/research houses and smaller franchises. Wood Mackenzie's valuation metrics and workflows are widely known and still considered the industry standard.

Cons

I was treated fairly and although every organization has its flaws, I don't believe there is anything major that should prevent future employees from considering working at Wood Mackenzie. In fact, I encourage people to apply and make a positive change by contributing ideas and new/outside perspectives.

Advice to Management

Your leadership and stewardship in these challenging for the industry times is exemplar. It's not an easy task to manage a global, culturally diverse and dispersed team. The internal communication level is already picking up which is a very positive trend.

Apr 24, 2017 – Employee Engagement, HR

Thanks very much for your feedback. We've passed this on internally. Wishing you success in your future endeavours!

"Not the same company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for someone starting in the industry, to build experience and connections.
    4 weeks vacation right from the start

Cons

Woodmac was acquired by a larger company Verisk, and the culture has died.
    It is a Scottish company and has been biased towards staff in the UK getting more upward mobility.
    Not competitive in terms of salary.

Apr 24, 2017

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback for us. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the benefits on offer whilst you were at the Company. We are going through changes, but our ... More

"Getting close to point of no return"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Great stepping stone for people new to the energy industry
    * Healthcare and work/life balance are better than most other companies
    * VERY bright analysts

Cons

* Leadership suffers from 'Peter Principle' - virtually all executives have been promoted to their level of incompetence
    * Leadership has no path forward and afraid to show weakness by asking Verisk corporate centre for help
    * There is no career development plan; new hires need to come in with a mercenary plan of learning about the industry and then moving on to company with real career paths
    * Advancement (especially in Research) is all about politics both in the office and actual politics. Once you are on the wrong side of a political issue, hit the eject button and get out
    * New Research organisation is populated at the top with people in global roles having (a) no global experience, (b) no subject matter expertise, (c) horrible team management skills
    * I have never seen a less professional way of treating people. The public humiliation of people you have personal grievances with needs to stop. The public treatment of several high profile people pushed-out of the company was outrageous (and might have HR liability implications)

Advice to Management

WoodMac's leadership team lost credibility with the working stiffs when making the classic communication mistake of saying, "No more job cuts" after the Summer 2016 cost-cutting and then thinking people wouldn't notice the drip, drip, drip of co-workers disappearing.

There is no commercial strategy other than (a) cut costs by bleeding off head count and (b) expecting Account Managers to force clients to buy new products not ready for use.

It's time for a wholesale replacement of the Research leadership. I'll bet they aren't aware of how they were mocked after the recent Townhall about the (yet another) organisation. No one believes any of the new global appointments were the result of a "competitive process" because the fix was in for those individuals from the beginning. Everyone knew they were getting the best jobs back in July so it would have been more efficient to skip the charades and just name them.

When young analysts say, "That's the first time I've ever been lied to my face" organization morale can't get much worse. Young analysts were promised in May of 2014 there would be a well-defined vevelopment program by the September. It took until December to just get new titles, "Development we own it" is a non-functional joke, the forced ranking system imposed in November is seen as a pre-cursor to another major downsizing (rumors say starting January 2017), and the only workflow changes are is to ask people already running at 120% (don't know of anyone at less than 50 hours per week; many working 6-8 hours over each weekend) to produce and enhance research content "in your spare time".

Don't blame your line managers - the problems all start with you and your line management has no authority or "empowerment" (another word sneered with sarcasm around the office) to fix your mistakes. Take down the "Our Values" posters. They are Stalinesque and serve to remind people of what leadership doesn't believe in or fight for.

Sad thing is this section is just a venting exercise because leadership (including corporate leadership at Verisk) is marching like zombies

"Awful constant restructuring"

Former Employee - Analyst in Asia, TN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Asia, TN

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Congenial working environment, colleagues were once focused on research and knowledge sharing so plenty to learn from each other. Quality of analysis is superb. Great work-life balance

Cons

Repeated restructuring/banding is a pain and distraction to employees. Loss of key sales personnel that will steal business away eventually. Power struggle and politics seem to be the current focus of employees and bosses, a sad sight in stark contrast to the good old days....

Advice to Management

Contemplate on putting in a good system and make sure it stick to see the positive results... Ensure that the middle management is abled and leadership-worthy, and not a product of being victorious in office politics...

Apr 18, 2017 – Head of APAC Research

Hi there, I'm the APAC Head of Research at Wood Mackenzie and I wanted to take the time to thank you for your service at the company and your feedback. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the working ... More

"Senior Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist/Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist/Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, five weeks vacation, work-family balance, opportunity to work from home

Cons

No leadership, pompous arrogance of mid-managers and senior analysts, green and inexperienced executive management, buddy system, disconnect between departments and toxic environment in general, generations of families working together in the same offices and often on the same teams.

Advice to Management

Get yourself some real managers instead of promoting friends and relatives.

Feb 20, 2017 – Employee Engagement, HR

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed the benefits offered. We are very sorry to hear your concerns and appreciate your honesty. We'd be keen to discuss the issues you have ... More

"was a great company"

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Life Work Balance, great people.

Cons

Its all about margins now. People come and go on daily basis.

8. "Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Great company and great people.

Cons

Nothing i have noticed during my term

9. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of responsibility and meaningful projects.

Cons

Separation between all of the different functional groups of the business occasionally made communication more difficult.

"If corporate ethics are important to you, this is not the place for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good benefits for the size of the company
    Some managers are willing for employees to balance work/life commitments
    World class vacation benefits.

Cons

The leadership team is primarily comprised of highly paid expats that chose to stay in the US. The leadership team doesn't care about developing the staff and promotions are not based upon demonstrated delivery of performance but rather based on how politically connected you are to the decision makers. The business does not promote teamwork nor does it value providing developmental feedback to employees who want to make a difference. The organization doesn't value inclusiveness and doesn't treat employees fairly and consistently. The business doesn't stand firm on its commitments when extending sign-on bonuses and relocation assistance.

Advice to Management

Replace the entire Americas based leadership organization and hire leaders who are willing to lead; develop people and challenge the status-quo. Walk the talk when the organization says it wants to develop people. Hire an outside organization that can provide unbiased feedback with regards to why such massive pay discrepencies exist within the organization. Provide cultural sensitivity training and hire employees from the US and pay them competitively based on US standards. Analyze exit data and get a real understanding as to why turnover is so high - if a manager can't seem to keep staff or continues to terminate employees, leadership should ask why and give further consideration as to whether the right leader is in the job. Create a zero tolerance environment where ethical issues can be raised accordingly where employees do not fear retaliation. Coach managers that it is not acceptable to punish, humiliate or embarrass employees publicly.

"Concerned for the future"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smart co-workers, global perspective and a strong brand are advantages to working here. We have strong support from our new owner Verisk.

Cons

Top down, controlling management is not appropriate for a company the size we have grown to be. Layer upon layer of middlevel management swells our costs while hiring freezes handicap our efforts to continue to produce quality work.

Advice to Management

Delegate authority and budget along with responsibility for results, return some of the overseers to do-er roles, and stop with the initiatives. We are watching what you do, not what you say.