Woodard & Curran Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Douglas McKeown

Pros
  • Most PMs are sensitive to their staff's work/life balance and allow for flexibility in scheduling (in 11 reviews)

• Encouraging staff, variety of projects (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It feels like upper management either has ADD or needs to stop reading self-help books (in 8 reviews)

• Company has become too concerned with metrics (in 4 reviews)

"High performing firm that focuses on employees and clients"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for two different environmental consulting firms prior to Woodard & Curran. The reasons I decided to leave my previous position and accept the offer at Woodard & Curran were: firm reputation in the marketplace, the organization and systems that come with a large mature company, and the wide range of technical expertise of the employees. Since joining, I have not regretted my decision. I have had the opportunity to work with talented and caring colleagues, and pursue and contribute to a really wide variety of projects. The work is often new to me so it has helped keep me engaged and grow professionally. I've been supported by technical experts and feel that I have the weight of a top tier firm behind me. I have also seen the commitment that leadership has to making the company an enjoyable place to work - doing their best to foster professional growth and retain talent.

Cons

The company has ambitious plans for growth, so it's always a challenge to maintain the culture of a small group but still do the things necessary to be a national firm. So, there are changes that are necessary to support this growth (HR procedures, etc.). But, I see these changes as challenges that are being tackled by leadership and the rest of the company together. I also want to grow so accept the changes as necessary.

Aggressive growth also requires a high level of performance from the people of the firm. Personal goals for employees are often ambitious. However, management does recognize that goals are just that and progress towards goals is as important as exceeding them. It's also quite satisfying when, with the support of my manager, I'm able to achieve what I thought was a stretch of a goal at the beginning of the year.

Advice to Management

I think the firm has great momentum towards driving our technical excellence towards geographic growth and success in the marketplace. However, this all relies on retention of senior leaders and the growth and advancement of junior staff to fill those positions during times of succession. So continued focus on retention, training, and professional development are important.

Also, the firm is full of successful people so it's important to instill confidence in long-term success and (while still practicing sound business management) put less weight on short-term results, such as week to week performance numbers.

2. "Solid"

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time

Pros

Culture, work-life balance most of the time, people.

Cons

Total compensation not competitive for high performers

Advice to Management

Reward high performers or they will find someplace else that does

"inconsistent values/culture across the company"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice place to work (no worse than anywhere else)... good benefits etc

Cons

NY office management only care about themselves and their clients and put their staff last... they have proved this time and time again.

Advice to Management

stand up for your employees so you can keep them

5. "Great company"

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really feel like I am part of a company that is transforming into something that is going to make a difference in the world and have an impact on its clients and its people.

Cons

While I have had a great experience, it seems like there are pockets within the organization that are not as positive. Might be reflective of the managers in those areas or of certain office cultures.

Advice to Management

Focus on the areas where you know need the most work to get to a better place. Don't paint everything with the same brush.

6. "Exit"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Assistant in Cape Elizabeth, ME
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Assistant in Cape Elizabeth, ME

I worked at Woodard & Curran (Less than a year)

Pros

People and overall atmosphere of the company are amazing.

Cons

Do not hire temps to hire in a timely fashion.

"Great Focus, Unafraid to Grow"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company knows what it is and is focused on the right things as it works to grow. The culture is to put employees first. Privately owned, which allows the firm to chart its own path forward.

Cons

Like every other firm its size in this market, the company is struggling a bit with leverage and has seen overhead climb as a result.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns! Keep focused on growth and opportunity.

"A laid back place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work with nice, easy going people around the office. I like the company culture and I always feel like I am working in a team.

Cons

The company is going through changes as it grows. It is difficult to put my finger on it but I guess it feels a little more "corporate" now.

Advice to Management

I would say more training for people managers, focus on the employees' work / life balance and try to keep the culture the same as the company grows.

"Smaller Firm with Big Company Problems"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Andover, MA

I have been working at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits and vacation/holiday plan

Cons

Company has same problem as most big firms, too many high paid managers to delegate work and not enough reliable people to get the work done. High overhead and administrative costs. Relaxed atmosphere which is becoming very stressful. Lack of clear communication from upper management. Inefficient corporate policies. Siloed groups with not much sharing of resources. Under performing groups dragging down company financials. More and more emphasis on meeting utilization targets. Limited career advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to institute so many changes at the same time.

"Average at best"

Former Employee - Engineer III in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Providence, RI

Pros

Time off / Flexible schedule / nice people

Cons

Salary / hard work will get you nowhere / too many managers / growing to fast and worrying to much about their bonus

Advice to Management

Slow down and make the company that you have more efficient.

"Could See It Coming"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Woodard & Curran full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From a mile away. There used to be many but all the reviews you see are accurate of the future for seen and am so grateful I got out when I did.

Cons

Simple. The uppers don't know people and have no desire to learn. Mostly because they don't see their own deficiencies.

Advice to Management

Pick up a book from Carnegie or Maxwell, Napoleon Hill, hell even a Tony Robbins seminar might help you.