Woodman's Food Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great pay for working at a grocery store (in 13 reviews)

• very strict attemdance policy, good pay, nice promote from within (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees must adhere to a scrict point system or they will self terminate thus avoiding any claims to unemployment (in 11 reviews)

• You need to be available from 5am-11:00pm if you want "anytime" (full-time) hours (in 9 reviews)

"Overall great"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Carpentersville, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Carpentersville, IL

I worked at Woodman's Food Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a point system and it works in your favor if you're on time. Great pay and 1.5x on Sundays. Love the people and environment. Very fast paced

Cons

Schedules were unpredictable but you could always find someone to take your shift. You get timed, and it can become a little stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Just hoped there was better communication sometimes.

"worst 2 years ever"

Former Employee - Cashier in North Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Aurora, IL

I worked at Woodman's Food Market (More than a year)

Pros

Really all I can say is I made a few good friends. The pay was good as well.

Cons

The upper management was terrible. They played favoritism with most of their employees who have been there for 5+years. In the almost 2 years I was there I never once went home feeling good about myself. They don't train the baggers enough. And when you try to help someone out you get yelled at. Most of the time it was in front of customers too. They 2nd shift front end would talk down to all the employees when the customers where around. If it was anything serious they would pull you into the office in the middle of your shift to yell at you some more. I really wasted 2 years of my life.

Advice to Management

Stop treating everything like its one big high school. Grow a pair and stop handing things off to other managers to deal with.

"work sucks"

Former Employee - Clerk in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Woodman's Food Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros to think of

Cons

Scheduling and requesting time off

"Horrible place too work."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Woodman's Food Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money, potentially great benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Very cliquish high school mentality and feel to it. They will find ways to get rid of you with messing with your punches in order to create violations on their point system. Employees must adhere to a scrict point system or they will self terminate thus avoiding any claims to unemployment.

Advice to Management

Grow up and do your jobs. A happy staff produces quality. Listen to them. Out of 20 years in grocery business, this was my worst experience.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I worked at Woodman's Food Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing I liked about that place that some of the employees and the paycheck. Time and a half on Sunday's, double time and holiday pay on Thanksgiving and Christmas, quarterly bonuses.. The money was NICE or what it was.

Cons

You know the saying "money doesn't buy you happiness"? Perfect saying for Woodman's. There were so many cons, I don't even know where to start. The attendance policy, the fact that you could not request off time and had to find someone to cover shifts, the timing for cashiers is ridiculous.. if you don't make your times you get demoted to bagger and lose the pay. They are so big on customer service but put this stress on being quick so you end up not paying attention to the customer because you're focused on making your time, customer complains then you get a work and safety point. Such a vicious cycle. They also call you into the office in the middle of your shift to tell you when you mess up on something, get a complaint or don't make your times..kinda leaves you stressed for the remainder of the shift.

On top of all of that, I have never worked at a place with so much drama in my life. Everyone who works there acts like they're in high school and love getting involved in everyone else's business.

Overall negative experience.

Advice to Management

There's no hope for them.

6. "Stock Clerk"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Aurora, IL

I worked at Woodman's Food Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff, competitive wages, and a great work environment.

Cons

Strict time clock, no facial hair for men, corporate is office not the most responsive. Seems like they like to write people up for minor mistakes.

Advice to Management

Stop being so strict!!!

7. "Hard work"

Former Employee - Every Other Weekend Grocery Clerk in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Every Other Weekend Grocery Clerk in Janesville, WI

I worked at Woodman's Food Market part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay for working at a grocery store. Self cover system is nice sometimes.

Cons

Very difficult to move up and find a full time position. Full time hours vary widely. Difficult to get time off when needed. Must work fast - everything is timed. Exhausting most times.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees to keep good people around.

8. "Checker"

Former Employee - Checker in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Checker in Beloit, WI

Pros

Great people. I enjoyed the customers and the other employees. Pay was good and so was the health insurance.

Cons

You get timed which makes it hard to focus on the customer. It's nearly impossible to get full time employment.

Advice to Management

Get rid of timings and offer a more consistent schedule. Happy employees work harder.

9. "Good pay but no work life balance..work 6 days a week"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Woodman's Food Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing. 3 weeks vacation after 8 yrs and attendance bonus quarterly and extra bonus for thanksgiving and Christmas

Cons

Cannot take days off. Need to find someone to cover your shift and must be approved by store manager (normally a no since many restrictions on employee hours)

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. They all work hard

10. "Utility Clerk"

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Altoona, WI
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Altoona, WI

I have been working at Woodman's Food Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sunday considered overtime (1.5), retirement if with company long enough.

Cons

Scheduling which is done every thursday for the following week, no personal life, mandatory overtime (they wont ask if its ok to schedule you they just will), starting position is $9.25 an hour (expect to be in position for 3 to 4 months). Corporate treats you like a number, supposedly you get every other weekend off but corporate will schedule you anyway and make you take a point if you dont come into work.

Advice to Management

Rework how corporate handles the stores, have schedule out earlier so employees can make and actually keep their plans.