Woodruff Arts Center Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

2.8
Woodruff Arts Center President and CEO Doug Shipman
Doug Shipman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great mission. Great access to events."

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passional people work at the Woodruff Arts Center, so it can be a place with a lot of good energy throughout the day. The events that take place there are really great and employees have access (though many times limited) to these events. Many folks have worked there for years, so long-term success is possible.

Cons

Lots of initiatives and sometimes not the best resources to support those initiatives.

Advice to Management

Be more strategic about priorities.

2. "Exponential Growth"

Former Intern - Community Engagement in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Community Engagement in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center as an intern

Pros

All three organizations at the Woodruff (Alliance Theatre, High Museum of Art, and Altanta Symphony Orchestra) are undergoing changes and improvements on a regular basis. Despite the perception the center may have to many communities, each organization is working hard to prove that the arts are for all patrons from all backgrounds.

I interned with the Alliance Theatre as a Community Engagement intern, and assisted in their marketing efforts to involve more people into the Alliance family. In some of their efforts, the theatre served as a "Town Hall" for people and organizations with different backgrounds to collaborate with one another and discuss how to resolve current, and past, problems.

Cons

Although many contribute great ideas, and much opportunities appear, staff often has limited bandwidth to help others or to take certain opportunities. This issue is currently being addressed, but is also an ongoing challenge. Like most Non-Profits, the Theatre (and I would assume the rest of the organizations) undergoing the same issues of having limited staffing for major projects.

Advice to Management

At this point, I do not have much to say. In my graduate program, much of the suggestions made to improve a non-profit arts organization are being implemented by the theatre (and I assume the rest of the arts center) The only suggestion I can think of is for the marketing and social media teams of all three organizations to collaborate more with one another in cross promoting each other.

3. "A Wonderful Arts Center to Work for and Support."

Current Employee - Teaching Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Teaching Artist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an excellent art center with wonderful people and rewarding experiences!

Cons

Working with people who want to make a change and develop professionally.

Advice to Management

More team oriented professional development activities for the employees to have more opportunities to collaborate professionally and artistically.

4. "Great mission, tough enviornment"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Mission, the arts and opportunities for staff to partake in museum, symphony and theatre

Cons

Very tough enviornment, staff feel
    Consistently threatened and unstable leadership.

Advice to Management

Value your employees ; hold divisions accountable!

5. "Your mileage may vary"

Former Employee - Ticket Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Ticket Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic atmosphere. Always something interesting going on.

Cons

No raises. Constant turnover of upper management. Parking can be an issue.

Advice to Management

Communicate between departments. Listen to your employees.

"Lacks competent leadership"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center (More than 8 years)

Pros

The art produced can be good.

Cons

There is a literal game of musical chairs happening where executives hop across job roles in the organization but never really accomplish or improve anything. The organization has proven to be allergic to efficient planning, promoting from within, collaborating or communicating across departments, valuing employees, providing growth opportunities, or learning from past mistakes.

Sadly, the Woodruff Arts Center, provides a toxic work environment where, passing the buck is encouraged, and status quo is king. Employees are not encouraged to share ideas, grievances are dismissed, and projects are embarked on based on hunches, and opinions. Business practices like data driven/informed decision making, working remotely, team meetings, process development, employee training, or long term planning are all things that don't happen.

If you're interested in the textbook, top-down management hierarchy where managers are not interested in your thoughts, opinions, professional development just the amount of hours you can dedicate to fill in the gaps caused by their lack of planning, then this is the place for you. Hate to say it, but don't let the pretty looking art fool you and dodge this bullet.

Advice to Management

Embrace younger leadership, conduct an employee survey (anonymous or not) and ask real questions about how much time & money is wasted due to mismanagement.
    Hire people that are retirement age if you want to give your employees go-nowhere jobs and treat them like cogs in a wheel.

7. "A great place to gain experience."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers in an upscale non-profit environment.

Cons

Occasional weekend and evening work hours.

"Great Non-profit committed to excellence"

Current Employee - Woodruff Arts Center Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Woodruff Arts Center Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for a non-profit that does so much in the community. It's a great organization with good values and good leadership running it. We have had some positive leadership changes in the past 1/1.5 years and I see things only getting better.

Cons

Average pay-probably consistent for non-profits. Probably low for corporate america. Also not enough vacation time for the amount of hours put in.

Advice to Management

Do more company appreciation. HR doesn't really have the resources to do many HR related team-building initiatives. Usually these team building activities are organized by the department you are part of.

"One of the worst jobs in my career"

Former Employee - Intermediate Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intermediate Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid very well. The people (direct coworkers) are very nice to work with. Other than that there is not much I can say that is nice. I was happy when my contract ended.

Cons

IT software and technology is extremely dated. Most software is 10+ years old. That alone will set back your career as a developer. So do not expect to learn anything new and exciting. The management and director level staff is clueless for the most part. They have directors that are in way over their heads. Ex: Managers that are managing departments that they have no clue what the department actually does on a day to day basis. They hire paper pushers for all the management positions so explaining technology to them is like explaining quantum physics to an orangutan. The upper level managers treat their departments like fiefdoms and there is always infighting about resources. This place turned me off from ever working at a non-profit again.

Advice to Management

Fire most of the managers/directors and hire new management that knows what they are managing.

"The WAC was THE worst place I ever worked."

Former Employee - Administration - WAC in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administration - WAC in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inspiring surroundings, nicer people in the Divisions (High, ASO, etc.)

Cons

60+ hours a week, with no overtime, a fight to take vaca days you're entitled to, leaving your desk for lunch is "frowned upon"; No recognition of good performance; Inept (at best) people at the top of management; discriminatory management ... Overall, a completely depressing, unfulfilling and denegrating place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire the top managment in Strategy and Inititatives and start all over again.