Woodruff Sawyer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Woodruff Sawyer Chief Executive Officer Andy Barrengos
Andy Barrengos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are competitive and the work/life balance aspect is achievable" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good benefits packages, good office locations and great people to work with" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance is non existent" (in 3 reviews)

• "Lots of Favoritism, no accountability from middle management" (in 4 reviews)

"Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Account Manager, Employee Benefits in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager, Employee Benefits in Denver, CO

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a competing company for the 4 years just before I started at Woodruff Sawyer. I hated my job then, was ready to make a career change after 25+ years in the industry. But NOW, I love my job again. I love working at Woodruff Sawyer, and I only wish I had moved sooner! The management is great, training opportunities are plentiful, and their support of us is the best.

Cons

I truly cannot think of anything that bothers me or concerns me about working for Woodruff Sawyer.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing.

"Poor Leadership and Not a Great Company Anymore!"

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Memories of what Woodruff Sawyer used to be 3 -4 years ago.

Cons

-low pay
    -no recongniton
    -overworked employees
    -did i say NO recognition?
    -long term employees are consitently being shown the door but we are told "they quit"
    -favoritism
    -no communication
    -lack of diversity
    -service teams have no support and are burnt out
    --Lots of changes in management and processes lately, which has led to high turnover
    -work/life balance is non existent

Advice to Management

Employee Benefits practice is a not what it used to be and you really need to listen to what you have been hearing the past couple years. Senior leadership continues to be a problem yet nothing ever changes . If you take a look at the other practices thriving within the company, its because of leadership. Not in our area. We work hard and do not receive any recognition or support. .

"Revolving Door in Benefits Practice Continues"

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Every other Friday off. But, not if you have work to do. Which is always.

Cons

Where do I begin, every year our increases in the benefits practice get smaller and smaller. Living in a high cost of living area, is just not going to cut it. However, we continue to promote people who are close with leadership in our benefits practice and its sending mixed messages. Every employee I talked to is paid well below market, so attrition and retention is an issue constantly.

Also, more importantly, leadership in our area continues to push long term employee out the door. It's sad that a colleague who has proven to be a dedicated employee is being told that this isn't the place for them anymore. What kind of company does that? This one does! Leadership in our area continues to be the problem and no seems to think that's the issue. If you have people leaving left and right, it's for 2 things, compensation and poor leadership.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to take a look at the leadership practice leader in our area and do something. I know you are aware of the issues we have . We don't have high hopes for a successful 2019 with current leadership in place.

Woodruff Sawyer Response

Jan 16, 2019 – AVP, Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Our intention at Woodruff Sawyer is to provide a positive work environment that enables individual growth as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package... More

4. "Solid Comapny with great Opportunity"

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Looking to expand and grow.

Cons

Growing pains as the growth occurs.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on direction and modify course quickly when necessary.

"Account Mgr"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Access to Mgmt, ability to innovate and dictate a career path

Cons

typical growing pains as a successful, private-owned company

"Work/Life"

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Great place to work with really hard working people

Cons

While change is hard in the end it's for the best however change is hard...

"Sinking ship. Nothing to see here."

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Lot of people quitting. Many without notice. That’s a telling sign when people leave abruptly and in a mass exodus.

Or we are told a leader “quit” but find out that this person was fired. We were told they quit because it would make management look bad. Pretty sure management is doing a fantastic job of making themselves look bad already.

No job perks. F days are not guaranteed and you’re expected to work if projects demand it. No overtime/comp time either. Everyone is issued a laptop and expected to bring it home daily as part of their disaster recovery plan. Let’s be real. This is so that you can work from home when you’re sick, on a F day, even on PTO. Blood from a stone and whatnot.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest assets but you seem to have forgotten that. We work hard. Many times to the point of spinning our wheels because our ideas go unacknowledged or are silenced altogether because “this isn’t how we’ve done it”.

Your employees are talking about you and none of it is good.

If you’re wondering why managers don’t receive feedback from their teams anymore, it’s because it’s a waste of our breath and time. We nod our heads in silence and pretend everything is fine because that’s what you want to believe anyway.

"Account Representative"

Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first time working for a privately held company and I am impressed with the environment I entered:

The people here truly make an impact and difference on my every day experience for the better. They are open to suggestions and implement quickly if it makes sense.

As Woodruff Sawyer is privately held, it gives our leadership team a larger stake to ensure that we are all successful. It has been a successful model for them for 100 years. I like that our CEO knows everyone’s name and has an open door policy.

The benefits are competitive and the work/life balance aspect is achievable.

Coming to work is not a chore and I look forward to Mondays.

Being here for over six months, I can say that I have enjoyed the onboarding process which is structured and the knowledge you learned from your seasoned peer is wonderful.

I am looking forward to a long term career here at WS.

Cons

None at this time.

"A LOT has changed"

I worked at Woodruff Sawyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, (some) people. But really, why is this a common "pro" in each review and nothing more? Benefits are decent at most with the exception of the 401k being terrible despite a 401k team of consultants. The irony is that WS broker employee benefits.

Cons

If you were to ask me about WS years ago when I first started, I would have given this rating 4 or 5 stars, but so much has changed and NOTHING is being done to help uplift those who are still with the company. By that I mean any support for the service teams who are obviously completely burnt out and/or understaffed. Instead of being challenged, the work that's needed to be done is so over-the-top where it's completely lopsided. Those who excel at their job get more work put on them while those who slack continue to slide by - the work is also absorbed to other team members as opposed to a replacement. When things are finally addressed, it's either too late because someone is quitting or nothing happens. Too much people who can talk the talk, but not enough can walk the walk.

Advice to Management

I have lost so much faith with regards to the future of WS especially with the continuous amount of changes from top to bottom. I have not been here that long and half of the people who I knew when I first started are all gone. We also do SO much for our clients yet when it comes to your own employees, please treat them better by ACTING/DOING and not just SAYING. Invest in technology with outside companies who are experienced in this and not just utilize dated systems or systems that the internal "technology team" creates because it obviously doesn't work for the long-term. I also appreciate the new flexibility option and East Bay office, but why was that as a result of a key hire declining a job offer because they didn't want to commute to SF? Please look to be proactive and not reactive.

"An update from my previous review"

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Flexibility, work from home option, most coworkers are nice and collaborative, good location in downtown SF

Cons

I wrote a review back in 2016 and gave the company a stellar review because I was having a wonderful experience. I thought I had the best job and would be a lifer here. But things have changed since then. Lots of changes in management and processes lately, which has led to high turnover. I understand every company goes through changes, but communications between management and employees is also TERRIBLE - employees rarely know what's going on (even within their own teams), and because of this, people are suspicious. There is gossip and rumors spreading because everyone is skeptical of where the company is heading. I, for one, believe that all the "great changes" upper management tries to sell us on is just a mask for more cost-cutting initiatives later.

Treatment of employees has gone downhill too. I used to think management here treated people with respect, but I, along with a few others, have been jerked around with little to no warning. Also, some managers here are not meant to manage people. They may be great at other things, but PLEASE do a thorough review of their managerial abilities before putting a whole team under them. Bad managers = high turnover of good employees.

My outlook for the company is pretty grim, and I can guarantee you I'm not the only one.