Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Chief Executive Officer Andy Barrengos
Andy Barrengos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance and flexible work schedules (earlier work day to leave earlier, every other Friday off, etc (in 11 reviews)

• The flexible work schedule and "shorter than normal 40 hour work week" are also great perks (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con is that WS is not as large as some other brokers so some resources are limited, but that is more than offset by the work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance is generally really great, but additional telecommute opportunities would be welcomed (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love Woodruff-Sawyer!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-phenomenal work environment; positive and sharp coworkers and supportive management
    -dynamic brokerage
    -opportunities to develop professionally - education reimbursement
    -flexible work schedules
    -in heart of Financial District
    -incredible culture
    -CARE program - giving back to community
    -management supports promotions and development

Cons

-can't think of any; truly a wonderful company to be a part of.

Advice to Management

-keep being open and candid with employees!

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time

Pros

Company Culture
    Opportunity for Growth
    Work/Life Balance
    Community Involvement
    Top Notch Talent
    Benefits

Woodruff Sawyer preaches and stands behind it's values, which I have never experienced anywhere else. I'm constantly in awe of how curious and driven my coworkers are. Strong company culture and values that promote collaboration, healthy attitudes towards problem-solving. All around a great workplace~

Cons

I can't think of any at this time...

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and transparent!

"Amazing Company and People!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-great people and coworkers
    -innovative and progressive vision
    -transparent leadership
    -amazing flexibility and work life balance
    -bright, engaged people
    -fun downtown office with great location
    -excellent benefits and comp
    -privately held and stable
    -excellent career path at any level, opportunities to take on new roles or develop professionally depending on passion or interests

Cons

-can't think of any, keep it up!

Advice to Management

-Thank you for all that you do and for the consistent recognition, it does not go unnoticed.

4. "Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many, but the most important is the people who make Woodruff-Sawyer a great place to work.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be challenging during busy times.

Advice to Management

Open and honest communication.

5. "Decent Place"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time

Pros

Friendly, Active, thorough, engaging, supportive

Cons

Corporate, redundant, , rigid, corny, pestering

6. "Worst company in existance!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None whatsoever All negative.

Cons

Lets start with the HR Dept. who is somehow stuck somewhere in the 1980's whereby they make people take typing speed tests. The IT Dept. are highly regarded, yet they do work only for management and if called upon to assist an employee in a crisis, they put you on a one week or more holding list not understanding that someone needs an immediate resolution to a problem. However, if the call is from a management or higher up, they jump to their service because that's where their coddling comes from. Butt kissing is the only way to make in this company. I've seen employees who do a rotten job otherwise, get by simply by acting all sticky sweet with management and getting by on that AND managers are just too stupid to see through these people. The company consists of gossipy, seemingly right out of high school people who don't have the maturity to be in business yet. Also, relatives and friends are hired and they are the ones that get the best level of regard. Woodruff-Sawyer tells its employees that they are paying fair salaries that are within the market rate, however, since I've left the company, I've been making $40,000 more than what they pay! And having every other Friday off entitles one to work an extra hour a day for 4 days and it's not worth it. To start, vacation days are only 10 days a year, which in the modern world is much less than other companies. Where I currently work, I started with 20 days! For those of you that love working there so much, you apparently have never worked anywhere else and have been brainwashed by this company.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. IT is not doing anything spectacular, except maybe for you. Don't be blind to butt kissers.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. For the most part everyone at all levels of the organization works hard, cares about the product/service being delivered and appreciates their team members. There is nothing more rewarding than working for a place with passion.

Cons

Technology and Software can be a bit slow and/or outdated at times, but I recognize that this is also a fast moving target and it is hard for organizations to transition quickly so taking time to make a move successfully can seem slow but is with intent.

Advice to Management

None at this point.

8. "Downhill"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great, hardworking people who work for the organization. The company tries their best to offer flexibility in some offices and on some teams. 7.5 hour workday is less than any employee I have worked for.

Cons

The first year was great but over the past several months things have gone downhill fast. There have been significant changes in management. The CEO left abruptly in November and since then, there have been several changes in the overall leadership team; some good and some bad. The company tends to promote junior employees into leadership roles rather than hiring on individuals with the training and expertise needed to lead. Also, there is a lack of diversity in the organization which often results in the group think mentality.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

"Not a good place for a career."

I worked at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time

Pros

Most rank and file employees are approachable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Lack of encouragement, acknowledgement and coaching from managers. The F days (alternate fridays off in exchange for working longer hours) they promise are not guaranteed days off. So if you have already worked more than the 8.5 hours/day and are counting on that F day, good luck. You might still have to work, so don't plan on actually enjoying that day off you earned. You cannot bank the hours either for the following Friday since the team rotates coverage for F days. You just lose the time. No overtime pay either. Managers expect you to work those hours and be flexible to company workloads; however, there is no reciprocation when you that flexibility to take care of personal business.

There is one executive who is an outright bully. Her toxic personality affects management and how they interact with you. No one wants to stand up to her so instead they unleash their frustrations on you. Makes for a hostile work environment.

Every year, the company sends out a survey to employees asking them to rate the company. This year, our team indicated that we did not think there were opportunities for career growth. My manager laughed it off.

When an employee resigns, they do not replace that person. The work is just redistributed to the remaining team members. This may save the company money but it does nothing for morale or work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Before you promote or hire managers into leadership roles, make sure the candidates know how to lead and not just order people around.

If you're going to ask employees to complete a survey about the company, make sure you're going to make changes to address those concerns. Or it's just a joke, and definitely zero incentive for employees to participate in the future.

Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Response

Jun 28, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for taking the time to provide your comments, though we’re so sorry to hear that you have some concerns with your experience while employed with us. Balance, flexibility and career growth are... More

"One of the Best Companies I've Worked For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture and people are really what sets this place apart from anywhere else; truly amazing! People are generally very friendly and helpful
    - Clear career path for those who want to stay/grow in this company
    - Excellent work-life balance and flexible work schedules (earlier work day to leave earlier, every other Friday off, etc.)
    - Volunteer program (CARE) is active and not treated as a "secondary effort" to make the company look good; WS truly aims to give back to the community and help those in need
    - Put in the hard work and you will be rewarded/noticed
    - Your opinion really does matter here and you're not just treated like a number

Cons

As with all great companies, there are some cons:
    - There are times when we do TOO much for the clients and this comes in the form of overpromising of services that are sold, over-providing, and doing work that generally takes up too much time. This leads to job burnout and tasks that become very mundane and tedious. A lot of paper pushing happens and people tend to pass the buck a lot
    - The company in general needs more diversity; the HR team can also be a little more approachable and be more active to ensure the company culture isn't just work
    - The company is slow to adopt to current times (ex. technology), which makes our job harder at times due to slow or outdated processes
    - For a company that deals with employee benefits, our own benefits could use a little work (ex. Medical, Pension)

Advice to Management

Just like how we aim to keep client retention, aim to keep employees as well by keeping them happy. There has been a bit of turnover from all levels during my time here in my department and I haven't even been here that long! WS, you do a great job in trusting your employees to get the job done, but do listen to them as well. Change can be good sometimes.