Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Chief Executive Officer Andy Barrengos
Andy Barrengos

Pros
  • Focus is on the employee and work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Everyone is treated like a professional adult here; we have work-schedule flexibility; great benefits; and we know how to have fun too (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Every work environment has a handful of negative people (in 4 reviews)

• Outside of SF, clients think we are lawyers (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work. Great Life/Work Balance"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great communication, great management

Cons

None as management is wonderful

Advice to Management

None

"An Insurance Brokerage that truly embraces entrepreneurial spirit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Open door management style, a very supportive environment for new ideas and willingness to try new things
    -Flextime
    -Charitable contribution matching, good benefits, 401k match
    -plenty of impromptu margarita parties and great co-workers!
    -company has exciting things on the horizon

Cons

-currently no gym membership or wellness program

"A breath of fresh air for the brokerage business..."

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After spending years working for one of the big box brokers, working at WSandCo has been an amazing breath of fresh air. This company is very client focused, and if it makes sense for the client, it gets done. This is an old school brokerage house that feels like how broking was done 20 years ago...done right! Senior Management is very involved and no one is left feeling alone and unsupported. Great people, great support and great work/life balance.

Cons

Absolutely none - coming from a big box broker with a lot of issues/cons, there is nothing to complain about regarding WSandCo!

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Your involvement in accounts and people's careers sets you apart from the competition - employees are happy and clients are happy!

"Fun environment, exceptionally talented people & fantastic leadership all focused on superior levels of service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities if committed, passionate, willing to work hard and truly care about the clients first. Flexible and engaged leadership team. Strong push to be a leader in technology for our clients. Fiercely independent. Enjoy working in a service oriented, collaberative environment with fantastic people.

Cons

As with any service organization there are times of stress around meeting deliverable deadlines with renewals and anniversary dates. Just the nature of the industry. Some times during the year are busier than others requiring longer hours to get the job done. Nothing out of the norm though.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on training and personal development to maintain high levels of job satisfaction and engagement.

"Woodruff Is Amazing!"

Pros

This company is a hidden gem in certain areas of Northern CA. Because it is employee owned, we can do what is best for clients, without levels of politics. Employees are genuine and make this seem like a family. They give you every tool and more that you need to do your job well!

Cons

They need to market in certain areas of Northern CA. Outside of SF, clients think we are lawyers.

"Boutique Culture with Large Brokerage Clout"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment, self-pace career advancement opportunities, flat management structure, great benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Fast paced growth environment with a strong dependence on technology solutions may be challenging for some

Advice to Management

Might consider 100% casual dress policy

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly working environment & good place to learn. Accommodating when it comes to work/life balance: flexible hours and every other Friday off! It's busy and you are expected to work hard (which I like) but in return there are fun summer outings and Halloween events.

Cons

None so far! Although I have only worked at the company a short time, it has been nothing but a positive experience so far.

"Great Place to Grow a Career"

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employer with a great culture, where management makes a real investment in their employees. The size of the company allows for creativity in problem solving with very little bureaucracy.

Cons

No major cons immediately come to mind. Work/life balance is generally really great, but additional telecommute opportunities would be welcomed.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and continue to offer the type of events that foster the fun culture you've created.

10. "great insurance brokerage"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth, focus on employee satisfaction, well respected name and industry leader, culture that seeks improvement, horizontal management with open doors

Cons

not enough top-down strategy, servicing backlogs, common for management to over promise and under deliver, 401k matching at the end of the year versus per paycheck (old fashioned!)

Advice to Management

too many initiatives

"Woodruff-Sawyer is a wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Claim Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claim Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The collaborative work environment, peer and management support, and company leadership makes Woodruff-Sawyer an all-around exemplary place to work. As an employee owned company, we all have a stake in the Company results for the mutual benefit of our clients and Woodruff-Sawyer. Everyone is treated like a professional adult here; we have work-schedule flexibility; great benefits; and we know how to have fun too.

Cons

If you require constant supervision, are not self-motivated, and do not have a desire to serve client needs, then you need not apply. Everyone is expected to pull their own weight here whether you're the CEO or the new person on the team. We recruit top talent, provide ongoing training, and it should not be a surprise we are expected to achieve great things.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the leadership, support/mentoring, and the opportunities you have created for us at Woodruff-Sawyer.