Wordbank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Kevin Grant-Dalton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome company, awesome people"

Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Wordbank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Wordbank. The people were absolutely amazing and the work was really interesting and challenging. The company itself is pretty cool and has carved out its own unique space in a traditional industry. The focus was always on providing clients the best experience possible--including advising clients on what would best fit their needs and goals, rather than trying to sell them crap they didn't need--and that care was reflected in the quality of the work and each department's focus on customer service. I was routinely impressed and proud of the work that the team produced. Employees and management treated each other, contractors, and in-country resources with respect, and while there was some occasional tension, people usually gave each other the benefit of the doubt.

Again, the people were what really made Wordbank special. My colleagues (and even management!) were smart, kind, interesting, funny, ethical, and ambitious. I learned new things from them constantly, which always made coming to work fun. Employees were truly encouraged to be themselves. Plus, with the home office being in London, I got to know people from a variety of different cultures and backgrounds that I would never have met otherwise.

Aside from that, I loved the company’s focus on environmental and social responsibility. The working environment was also nice — relaxed, with a casual dress code and flexible hours. It was an open office, which could be distracting, but also helped me get to know my coworkers better and exposed me to the business’s broader activities. The benefits were good too, and the building had some great amenities (including a free gym, a gorgeous rooftop patio and kombucha on tap.)

Cons

With the primary focus being on client work much of the time, more strategic internal initiatives often got pushed to the side.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the strategic direction of the company, and leverage employees' strengths and desire to grow to work toward broader strategic goals -- there is no end to the team's talent, and there are plenty of areas where they can contribute.

2. "Great People, Great Culture"

I have been working at Wordbank full-time

Pros

Wordbank is a great place to work because of the people, the company values, the development opportunities, and the overall flexibility. You won't be micro-managed here and will be treated like an adult who can make decisions that impact the company. We're not punching a time clock and have lots of flexibility, such as the freedom to work out during the day or work from home when needed. I appreciate the level of support you receive and the opportunities to make your own role once you've proved yourself. There is a steep learning curve but it is interesting work and there's never a dull moment if you're someone who loves to learn new things.

We have a close-knit team who pushes each other to do better and to think of different ways of doing things. We're all pretty geeky and passionate in our own way which makes for fun and interesting conversations around the office.

I think one of the best things about the company is the commitment to people, sustainability/environmental efforts, and social impact. While no company is perfect, it is inspiring that Wordbank is trying to do better in the world and to have an impact that isn't just about profit.

Cons

As with working in any small company we all wear many hats, which isn't a bad thing, but can lead to juggling a lot on your plate at times. It can also take a while to make progress on longer-term strategic company goals since people can get bogged down in other tak

3. "Innovative, Passionate, Collaborative, Determined"

I have been working at Wordbank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We set high goals as a company and we work together to achieve these ambitious goals. I am always supported by my colleagues: helping me when I am busy, tweaking the way they communicate with me so I can make the best use of my time, cheering me on when I am faced with challenges and making me laugh. Also, we forgive each other for mistakes. When mistakes are made, we support each other to determine how we can best resolve the mistakes and how we can prevent them from occurring again. The work/life balance is superb! If you need to pick the kids up from school or go to a doctor's appointment, it isn't a problem. You simply make up that lost work time another day. Also, the PTO is higher than expected for a US company. Beyond the work, this company educates the staff on recycling, composting and has a volunteer program. All in all, this is an awesome place to work! I am always learning, laughing and being challenged in the right ways,

Cons

Things get busy! Some days or even weekends we work late to deliver a project.

4. "Not a positive place to grow"

I worked at Wordbank full-time

Pros

The atmosphere is young, hip, and driven. Interesting subject matter.

Cons

Steep learning curve for those unfamiliar to the field without much mentoring or assistance. Coworkers were generally too busy or uninterested in assisting. The programs used to perform work are also disjointed making the whole job feel like piecing together a technological puzzle when there is probably a more streamlined way to achieve the same results. The expectations for performance aren't realistic given the poor training experience. This would be a fine starter job, but not a place to stay long-term if you value balance.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee growth. Create a culture of guided learning to retain talented people.

Wordbank Response

Mar 2, 2017 – Director, People Operations

Thanks for the taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear you felt you didn't have enough support or training in your role. There is indeed a steep learning curve here, which is why... More

5. "Good for beginners, young and single people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Wordbank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, they try to accommodate your wishes to be more effective at work, co-workers help each other out, more days off than in a normal US company, some nice benefits but not brilliant

Cons

You are expected to love Wordbank once you show up for the interview. This is ridiculous. If you leave after 8 hours of work you get the looks. If you take more than half an hour lunch, there is something wrong with you. So, all in all, if you need a normal 8 hour working day, this company is not for you. They need fanatics. You doing the job is not enough. You really need to make sure you leave later than others to keep your spot.

Advice to Management

Give people some freedom to work from home from time to time. Look at the results of their work and not at how much time they spend in the office.

"Good company, good people, good service"

I have been working at Wordbank full-time

Pros

Wordbank has a great team of talented and dedicated people. As a small office, we all get to pitch in where needed, and we get good and varied experience as a result. Salaries are competitive for the industry. We are differentiated in the market on customer service, customized solutions and true focus on a holistic international marketing approach.

Cons

While our small numbers work to our advantage with agility and speed in client needs and workflow customizations, it can cause bottlenecks with internal efforts. Strategic people can get caught up in production, and while that is good for client delivery it can be difficult when it comes to progressing other business goals.

7. "Amazing Culture"

I have been working at Wordbank full-time

Pros

Work with an incredible group of people who are dedicated to achieving amazing results. We aim to "wow" each other and our clients on a daily basis. Open-door communication policy at all levels. We are always looking for opportunities to grow and are committed to enabling everyone in the office to find their passion as professionals. We truly believe that when people are happy and feel respected, great things will happen.

Cons

I wouldn't really call this a con but we do work hard and constantly evaluate our performance. We challenge the status quo in our industry and create custom solutions to meet the needs of our clients. A company and culture committed to innovation will experience some "pain" along the way as we try new things. So long as we are constantly learning and doing a better job in our next attempt, the blood, sweat and tears are worth it.

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Great people; relaxed but hard-working environment; management that actually cares about team members; focus on quality of life and fair treatment as well as making money; open to change and suggestions when ideas are well thought-out and researched.

Cons

Compared to larger players in the industry compensation is less, but possibly comparable when considering the hourly wage (i.e., shorter working hours for slightly less pay). For the right person this is a worthwhile tradeoff, while some will prefer selling their free time for more money. Also, if you are inclined to say "that's not my job" at any time, this will not be the right environment for you. Everyone pitches in to get the job done, and that is a benefit for me but may not fit everyone's working style.

Advice to Management

Additional administrative resources could help relieve management and allow them to focus more on strategic tasks.

"Overall, a great company to work for in a growing industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Wordbank is a small private company with a relaxed work environment and a great culture with a flat hierarchy. Management is committed to ensuring everyone has a voice and the opportunity to contribute to the development of the business. There are plenty of challenges everyday to keep you on your toes and great team spirit to help you manage them.

Cons

As with any small business it's hard work and expectations are high. There are few boundaries around roles in the company, everyone fulfills multiple roles and has to be flexible and open to change. This can be both a pro and con depending on what your personal aspirations are. Also, the US office is a growing business - people have to be prepared to invest in the future and look to rewards down the line. Nothing is handed to you on a plate in this company, except respect and the opportunity to get involved.

10. "Incompetent management team"

Former Employee - N/A in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - N/A in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wordbank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has signed the equal pay campaign so I look forward to them being more open to how much they pay their employers.

The days management and senior members of staff are not in the office are the most productive.

Free coffee.
    23 days holidays.
    Pension.
    Good location in Soho.

Cons

Expected to work overtime whereas the management team are hardly there. They have 3/4 day weeks and are “working from home” the rest of the time.

The management team have no idea about the translation process or tools we use. So there is no improvement process and we work to the bone to not make money. We’re left to our own devices and expected to get on with it.

The passive aggressive attitude is unbearable. The politics and blame culture runs rife in the company with senior members being loud bullies. Unacceptable that nothing is done although we all complain.

There are no communication from a new client as to what needs to be done ensuring the delivery is riddled with errors. There seems to be a lack of understanding as to what we’re selling and clients are being lied to.

Advice to Management

Show up to work. Listen to your employers that work. Get rid of most of the management team; guarantee you’d save money and productively will increase.
    Stop pretending to look after the staff through silly awards and actually look after people. Stop the nasty aggressive senior members that bring the company down.
    Learn how to manage.

Wordbank Response

Oct 20, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you didn’t feel able to express your concerns through the many channels we have in place to be heard, but... More