Words & Numbers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Glenn T Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Could be much better"

I worked at Words & Numbers full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Salary, poor communication from higher management leading to feeling replaceable

2. "Pay is horrible"

Pros

Great work environment and great coworkers

Cons

Awful pay, no room to grow

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

3. "Great freelance opportunity"

Pros

Who doesn't love the chance to work at their own pace and pick and choose their projects?

Cons

Barely any projects available lately.

Advice to Management

Communication is key, even with freelancers.

"I would NOT recommend this employter"

Former Employee - Mathematics Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Mathematics Editor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Words & Numbers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can remember. [Note: My last year was before 2012, but the actual year was not an option.]

Cons

Poor management and isolating work environment. Management discouraged cooperation/interaction/teamwork among employees; hence, there was very little collegiality among co-workers. The department that I worked in was run like an elementary school. I actually experienced managers running to "tattle" on workers...it was unbelievably childish. The compensation was also rather poor.

Advice to Management

It has been several years since I worked at Words & Numbers, but if the management hasn't changed drastically in the last several years, you need to change the management culture.

5. "Flexible and collaborative work environment"

I have been working at Words & Numbers full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment
    future-focused
    encourages professional development
    Great working environment, remote/telecommuting and flexible work schedule is a huge bonus; quick to advance;

Cons

Salary not market competitive, company needs to "fit" into its growth; still operating on smaller company scale; processes need to be reevaluated

6. "Amazing Place To Work!"

I have been working at Words & Numbers full-time

Pros

This is honestly one of the best companies to work for. The right balance between a professional setting and a welcoming environment. The opportunity for advancement and growth is limitless and they understand the concept of teamwork. They TRULY appreciate their employees! The company is growing and they make sure their employees grow with them.

Cons

I honestly have none. They are simply a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Continue to do a great job!

"Freelance Editor"

Former Employee - Maryland in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Maryland in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Nice people to work with and content is interesting.

Cons

It takes a LONG time to get paid. Finance Department is beyond slow. No training for company expectations beyond email.

Advice to Management

Provide some training of expectations to new freelance writers beyond an emailed document. It's hard to do a good job when expectations are not clear.

8. "Great but"

I have been working at Words & Numbers full-time

Pros

I absolutely love work here. I love the work, I love the people, I love the mission. I love the flexibility of my schedule.

Cons

I work at the adult equivalent of McDonalds' because I will never be paid enough to live on my own.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees properly.

9. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Full-Time
    Current Employee - Full-Time

I have been working at Words & Numbers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaboration, talented employees, flexibility in your work schedule and an opportunity to work in multiple disciplines. I have enjoyed being part of the growth and being able to learn so many new things. Staff who seize the opportunities have the ability to move up and be recognized for their contributions through promotions. Sure the pay to start is not great but it never is for an entry-level position. But if you work hard and make yourself seen and let your abilities shine you will be recognized. It's all in what you make it. You hold the power for your own growth and this company does not hold you back.

Cons

The high walls of the cubicles are a hindrance in being able to easily speak with your co-workers. A remodel was started but seems to have stalled. It would be nice to have everyone in the open to generate some noise in the office instead of using Skype.

Advice to Management

Keep the open communication and transparency. And be more of a presence in the office.

10. "Don't believe all these bad reviews"

Current Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Words & Numbers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just read through all these reviews and here's what I think: Your experience at this company, or any company, is proportional to the amount of effort you put in, and you will benefit accordingly. People complain that there isn't enough communication and we're relegated to our cubes like lab rats. That's crap. I talk to everybody, laugh every day, have lunch with a jovial group of people, and even when I am on Skype it's not as dismal as it's made out to be as long as you have a sense of humor.

The pay: sure, you're not going to set up trust funds for your kids with this job, but it's livable. I accepted a very low wage when I started here because it was a good industry and I knew that it was an opportunity to grow my career. There's value in that, but people can't see beyond the paycheck. I've gotten a couple raises and bonuses, I have health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacations, and I am happy. Moreover, my supervisors are very good about giving me work that interests me. You have to speak up about what you want, don't just sit there and plug away at spreadsheets hating everything. Tell them what you're good at, what you enjoy, and they will slowly but surely guide you in that direction. You have to be patient though, it doesn't happen overnight. People who write these negative reviews are probably generally negative people who are reflecting on their own negative experiences that were brought on by haste, impatience, and immaturity, and they want to spread their negativity across the internet. Don't believe the hype. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

Cons

The amount of turnover can lead to training people over and over in the same thing, and being skeptical of new hires and their dedication.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees the breadth to work on projects that interest them, using programs specific to their skillsets, and challenging them in ways that will benefit their career both here at Words and Numbers and beyond.