Cover image for Wordvice

Found 38 of over 38 reviews

3.9

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Freelancer

Nice source of income during the pandemic

Dec 14, 2020 - Freelance Editor in Santa Clara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was happy to stumble upon Wordvice and actually be hired. The remote work is perfect for the current times, especially since the company pays me on time with consistency every month.

Cons

I do wish the per-word rate were a bit higher, but it seems pretty standard. Could make more working directly with clients, but Wordvice definitely gives me more work than I'd otherwise find. Also, it gets a bit lonely working from home and not knowing when my next orders will come in

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for leaving a positive feedback message about our company. We are happy you are with us!

2. 4.0
    Current Freelancer

Overall Great Company but Can be a Bit Nitpicky

Jan 3, 2023 - Freelance Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is better than other freelancing sites - however, there is extra work to do, so keep that in mind

Cons

Feedback can be nitpicky and feel a bit arbitrary at times Also can be frustrating that turning down jobs will make it less likely that you will receive orders in the future, even though that is one of the perks of freelancing

3. Join the Wordvice team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Nice people and company.

Jul 12, 2022 - Editor/Proofreader in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, and easy to work.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

5. 4.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

wordvice editor

Jun 21, 2022 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility, good feedback, consistent workflow

Cons

lack of visibility/access to management

6. 1.0
    Current Contractor

OK

Mar 10, 2022 - Freelance Proofreader in Lakewood, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer a lot of flexibility

Cons

Work is not very regular

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review. While we appreciate any ratings, we want to improve our system and overall process to make the experience more convenient (and more lucrative) for all of our freelance editors. With this in mind, are there any other specifics you would like to add regarding the work, workload, order processing, and feedback? This could help us narrow down which elements to focus on most to improve the experience for editors. Please keep in mind that the workload is determined by a few factors, including the number of orders we have at a given time or during a season, the type or subject area of orders, and the availability and capacity of the editors available to take the work. Additionally, in order to give more work to our editors, we have recently implemented an "Order Pickup" system that allows a wider pool of editors to choose orders to editing in a first-come first-choice basis.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Small but lots of learning opportunities

Sep 15, 2021 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Average salary with not much benefits

CEO

Thank you for your review of our company!

8. 1.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Project Managers shouldn't double as HR

Jul 17, 2021 - Freelance Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Their starting pay rates seem good and their site UI is navigable.

Cons

Zero meaningful communication from the day I created my employee account.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the helpful feedback. We would like to explain just a bit about why you may not have had the most fluid communication with our internal team. We try to keep our QA process minimal so that editors do not feel burdened by constant feedback on their work. This means that editors won't always receive lengthy comments about their performance unless there is a need for improvement in certain areas we feel can be adequately made by a given editor. Also, because we employ over 300 editors at any given point, it is difficult to provide the level of communication we and our editors would often like. However, if you send an email to our internal team at edit@wordvice.com, you should receive a prompt reply. We have recently been updating our FAQ and ticketing system to ensure that any urgent questions can be answered as quickly as possible without the need for messaging directly with a team member. We will be making more improvements in these areas in the future.

9. 5.0
    Current Freelancer

Great freelance work with good pay

Dec 13, 2020 - Freelancer in Clifton, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible hours and remote work - Better rates in comparison to some editing companies out there

Cons

- The amount of monthly income earned is a bit unpredictable--it fluctuates depending on the month or season - Some essays require more time to edit as most of the clients are ESL authors

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Don't do this

Dec 23, 2020 - Anonymous Contractor in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, plenty of feedback

Cons

Low pay -- pennies per word

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I think it should be noted that every online editing service out there today pays "pennies per word," as this is the industry standard. While there may be a few companies that offer a higher rate than Wordvice does (although based on our research, we know that Wordvice pays well above the average for similar freelance editing positions), these companies invariably charge clients significantly higher per-word rates for editing. Thus, there is always a balance between how much we can charge for editing and how much we can pay our editors--and there are invariably requests from both parties that are mutually exclusive if we are to stay in business. The way we provide consistent work orders for our editors is to keep our editing rates competitive. However, we do give pay raises for editors who demonstrate consistent quality and performance. If you feel your rate is not commensurate with your ability or performance, please contact us directly and we will work with you to find a rate that we can agree on. This would almost certainly be a more productive solution than leaving negative reviews about our pay rates. Thank you for your consideration.

11. 2.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Poor pay, inconsistent QA feedback, uncaring managers

Dec 17, 2020 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work is a plus in the pandemic. Allows some flexibility in hours, but see cons. The online interface works well.

Cons

Unpredictable income, inconsistent feedback. The QA reviews you receive on your first ten reviews are inconsistent and don't offer constructive feedback or examples of supposed errors you have made. I think they are largely based on whether you follow all of the editing suggestions made by Grammarly. Sometimes these just aren't appropriate, particularly in a scientific/technical piece where Grammarly misses the point. You are paid per word, but unless you work incredibly quickly you will barely make minimum wage. You can specify when you're not available to receive emails, but the timezone you live in is completely disregarded. You often get sent orders in your unavailable periods and wake up to find you've already lost many hours off the timeline until an order is due. The managers do not care about this if challenged. In short, okay as a small amount of supplemental income, but barely worth the hassle.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for leaving your feedback, as it helps us understand how to improve our QA process and what kind of feedback we provide our editors. Although we strive to give quality comments and suggestions for the initial few edits and editor does, due to the surge in orders in the past few months, our QA team might struggle at times to review ALL edited work and to give the kind of marginal comments and feedback we would like to and that would help our editors understand how to improve. In short, it is difficult to balance feedback and workload as the audits do take a considerable amount of time and human resources. However, we are striving to improve this. Please know that we deeply care about how we treat our editors and that we value clear communication and fair remuneration almost as much as we value the quality of the editing provided to our clients. If you would like to request a raise in your per-word rate, please do contact us directly and we will do our best to meet your request. And if we do come to an agreement that is amenable and can explain our QA process a bit more (including its limitations and what we are doing to improve this), we would appreciate it if you could perhaps remove or amend your review, as it gives the impression that Wordvice doesn't make efforts to communicate and work with our editors to iron our these issues. We are still a small company, but as we expand, we aim to improve these processes so that high quality can be maintained while our editors are treated fairly. Thank you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews
</>Embed

Wordvice Reviews FAQs

Wordvice has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 38 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Wordvice to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Wordvice employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Wordvice. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

81% of Wordvice employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Wordvice 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Wordvice to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be management .