Work Opportunities Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 8, 2019

4.0
Stephen A Wood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, friendly work environment" (in 7 reviews)

• "I have found the company and those in leadership positions to be passionate about the clients being served and the well being of team members" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Wear and tear on your car (I often drove 100 miles a day) for which you are reimbursed a very small amount)" (in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management and Directors are awful in Southern New Hampshire" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time

Pros

WOU is a family friendly employer that has been great to work for!

Cons

none to share as of right now

2. "Director In Training"

Current Employee - Director In Training in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Director In Training in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Opportunities has provided me with opportunities to grow and learn new positions, supported my ideas and rewarded my efforts. Employees are truly valued. The flexibility in my schedule is very appealing.

Cons

When an employee first starts, the training and background clearance does take quite a bit of time but that is due to funding sources and not WOU. It would happen regardless of employer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! WOU rocks!

3. "Career resource specialist"

Current Employee - CRS
    Current Employee - CRS

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, work your own schedule. Company shut off by 5pm company wide, weekend and holidays off.

Cons

Work load is high, stressful at times. Not a whole lot of training.

Advice to Management

Carve out time to train employees better.

Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for the review! We are always looking for ways to improve training - please talk with your Director about specific suggestions or message us at feedback@workopportunities.net. Thanks!

4. "CRS"

Current Employee - CRS in Wheaton, MD
    Current Employee - CRS in Wheaton, MD

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can honestly say this is the best place I have ever worked. I work independently, with support when needed. The company culture of support and encouragement is non-paralleled. I use my own creative thought processes to solve problems. I am trusted. And, best of all, I am supporting individuals to work in the community and to follow their dreams

Cons

Paperwork and documentation is killer. But, (pro!) it really forces you to develop time management skills!

Sep 4, 2018

We're so glad you're enjoying your career at WOU!

5. "Amazing people and culture!"

Current Employee - Multiple Positions - Career Resource Specialist & Director
    Current Employee - Multiple Positions - Career Resource Specialist & Director

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Opportunities Unlimited has a culture that is hard to find elsewhere. Management is transparent, welcoming and open to change. Our team is passionate about the services that we provide. We get the opportunity to celebrate successes and support our team members who are having challenges. Even though we are growing and have offices from Florida up to Maine, we still find ways to connect and learn from each other. If you are looking for somewhere to learn and grow in the field of human services, this is the place to be.

Cons

None that come to mind. Our company has an extensive interview process that includes a field interview as the final step. I found everyone to be very open about what it is like to work for us throughout the process. Make sure that you understand this as human services is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work recognizing and growing individuals on our team who are successful in their roles.

Sep 4, 2018

We're working really hard to recognize great performance. Thanks for all you're doing to support the individuals you serve and your team! We appreciate the review.

6. "Great place to grow a career"

Pros

Everyone is friendly and helpful, hours are flexible, work is rewarding and clients are often really driven & friendly

Cons

Clients can be demanding, must be able to manage your own time wisely

Sep 4, 2018

Thank you for the review. We appreciate the work you do! Please be sure to reach out to your Director if you need any support.

"Good luck to you."

Former Employee - CRS in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - CRS in Manchester, NH

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The clients are by far the reason to work there. You have the ability to make a wonderful difference in the lives of individuals with disabilities, and you have the ability to work somewhat independently most of the time. There are always new challenges and experiences so it's never dull.

Cons

The disadvantages outweigh the benefits by a huge margin.

1. Wear and tear on your car (I often drove 100 miles a day) for which you are reimbursed a very small amount). Not to mention that you are also transporting clients who may or may not be clean, may or may not be sick today, etc.

2. Way too much responsibility for the low hourly pay.

3. Management is willing to compromise staff to client ratios on a regular basis so you might have 4 or 5 clients on any given day instead of the 3 you should have. This is a recipe for disaster.

4. I was asked to do things I was not trained to do on a regular basis. No training was provided for assisting clients in wheelchairs, clients who needed to be toileted, clients with other serious health issues. You are left to figure it out which is a huge safety issue.

5. If you get sick, you need to call out and arrange all of your coverage for your clients. I kid you not! I had a coworker who was in the hospital with a 104 degree fever and she was still expected to call around and get coverage for clients. Ridiculous.

6. "Team Leaders" sometimes act like dictators and bullies, and you need their blessing to get time off, so don't get on their bad side.

Advice to Management

Hire a new director who will actually pay attention to what is going on. Upper management needs to make more field visits (unannounced) to get a true picture of how things go. Pay a better wage to your employees so that you can attract and retain the good people.

Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for the feedback - we always want to provide a great service to the individuals we serve and will look into your concerns.

"Organization full of opportunity"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dover, NH

Pros

Not only is there a rewarding feeling helping people find work and impacting lives everyday, but the team that I work with is supportive and fun. There is so much collaboration and room for growth. Management works directly with you to help you grow professionally and be as successful as you can be.

Cons

Nothing stands out to me as a con.

Sep 4, 2018

Exactly! Doing great stuff and having fun - always our goal!

"Good starting job for people interested in working with Special Needs."

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time

Pros

They offer a lot of freedom in your day to day activities as no one is there watching you. Offer compensation for gas and or other things you may purchase while on the clock.

Cons

Were using outdated software to access certain files and their emailing system could get annoying here and there.

Sep 4, 2018

We hope the transition to Office 365 for email and file management is making it easier to do your job! If you have any specific questions, please talk with your Director and/or the IT Team.

"Pushed to the Limit - Career Resource Specialist"

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're helping individuals with developmental delays

Cons

You're told when hired that you would never have more than 3 individuals in your car at a time, however, on many occasions when someone calls out sick (this is frequent) if your car is big enough you have up to 5 individuals, but no one seems to care. Upper management turns the other way. Pay is very low for the work being done, raises are almost non-existent. The stress level at this job is not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Pay people better. This is a difficult job and the employees who dedicate themselves to this deserve more.

Jul 3, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

We appreciate the flexibility of team members when other team members are out unexpectedly. Our priority is to ensure that clients still receive service, even if their primary CRS is out. NH’s 6-hour... More