Work & Co Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

3.9
Work & Co Founding Partner Gene Liebel
Gene Liebel
  1. "The best place to work at"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

salaries, learning sessions, team, health care

Cons

there are no cons :)

"Some of the brightest people, being the worst human beings"

Former Employee - Technology Lead

I worked at Work & Co full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people who will keep you constantly learning. Nice convenience benefits such as catered lunch at some offices.

Cons

A huge amount of deep-rooted hubris from the senior leadership that runs deep into the culture of the company. A tolerance of [and sometimes attraction to] arrogance and egotistical behavior that fuels an environment of competition and humiliation. Sr. leaders - and particularly partners - do not miss a bit to humiliate you in front of others. The partners are some of the worst human beings to have ever walked the face of the earth. True wolves in sheep's clothing. They will pat you with one hand and stab you with the other. As long as they feel like they are "winning" or "being better than others", they are ok. They are the scum of the scum and unable to listen to critique or do any self-reflection. The company lacks direction and strategic clarity. It's a constant drive to be "the best" or "to win" and the only path to get there is looks - the thought goes that if it looks good, people will be fooled to pay for it. Clients buy into the farce and reinforce the feedback loop. It's a "no values and no principles" environment. Anything goes as long as it's making the partners rich. Companies that act like this usually end up in huge legal trouble at some point and this is definitely a risk for Work & Co. Lots of money but lots of jain time too. The technology department used to have inspiring leaders but they are leaving one by one. What once was a far-reaching, exploratory, learning, and risk-taking department is settling on very simple, repetitive and crappy projects that add very little to someone's career.

"Nepotism, Favoritism, and Othering"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Work & Co full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Cool office - Catered Friday lunches

Cons

I never felt like a valued team member. Most employees here either come from referrals, Huge Inc., or from familiar walks of life. This culture reeks of nepotism, which in turn makes other employees feel isolated and like outsiders. Once you've been recognized as an outsider, you grow sensitive to the micro-aggressions and (c)overt othering. This company could really benefit from some education and self-reflection on what diversity, equity, and belonging really looks like. As per the work, it's not real product design. Agency work will always be driven by a client brief. Your objective is the client's objective. You complete the work, and move on to the next. You never truly get to own a product beyond a v1 or a redesign, which usually ends up being a coat of paint, at best. If you enjoy pitch work and flashy website redesigns — work here. If you want to grow as a product designer, drive product strategy, conduct research, develop insights, experiment, launch, and iterate — then go elsewhere. One of the founding partners once criticized one of my designs simply because it didn't align with his vision. This was plainly offensive and unhelpful. Never have I had to report to such arrogance and belittling. A video of a talk from the same partner surfaced years ago where he was taking questions from a Q&A, and one of the questions regarding a project in particular had asked if the team had done any research throughout the design process. His response was "…of course we did research; we're not amateurs." I'm so glad I don't work here anymore.

4. "Best work environment I have ever experienced"

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for more than a year

Pros

The partners are engaged in the work and genuinely value and appreciate team members across all levels. Focus is on the quality of work rather than hitting sales goals. Very few meetings or wasted time. Top heavy model results in really efficient teams and project timelines. Work never feels rushed or understaffed. True work/life balance means no nights or weekends and we close early on Fridays through the summer.

Cons

Two years in and no complaints so far.

Continue reading
  5. "Best place I have worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Work & Co full-time

Pros

Best team Best clients Best projects Fun and supportive co-workers

Cons

None that can think of

"An Agency with all the bad things typically at agencies- plus some good"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lack of sales goals makes all the focus on excellence in delivery. Lots of food all around.

Cons

Competitive agency culture -with all the baggage that you can imagine the word “Agency” to mean. Political, unfair and full of landmines... lots of white dudes in the partner ranks... and mostly white employees

"It's the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for more than a year

Pros

The founding partners did a remarkable job setting up Work & Co. They've taken hard earned lessons from companies they've worked for and ran, and emerged with complete clarity on what matters most: our work, and our company. Every decision always leads back to these two things. People are sharp, genuine and kind. I love my coworkers as much as I love the work we do. There is no place for bs here. At a time where many independent design shops are in trouble, Work & Co is on the upswing.

Cons

Things lean towards less structure. There's a reason for it, but if you excel in formal processes you'll need to either ask for it or adjust.

Continue reading

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Best work. Best people. -Knows that they are against, not just what they are for, -Less meetings and less decks, more prototypes and more shipped work -Pride of being a company that puts their money where their mouth is (Planned Parenthood Roo) -Pride working at a place that's pushing the industry forward with the work -A place that protects employees from clients and projects. I've seen them turn down work based on the reputation of a client and how they treat projects/workers.

Cons

-Quiet, if you're not introverted, it may take time to get used to, -Lots of partners in leadership, not sure who does what for whom, sort of mysterious, Wizard of Oz vibe around that. Not mad at it. Just a lot of folks...feels odd. -Lots of white folks, but they're working on that. Could be better, not as bad as some.

"Love it here!"

I have been working at Work & Co full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing talent, supportive coworkers, fun environment, and fantastic health benefits!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Continue reading

"Don't Stay for Too Long"

I worked at Work & Co full-time

Pros

Great clients, interesting projects, intelligent people, diverse, and catered lunch everyday

Cons

For a place that prides itself on its progressive values, it sure falls short on acting upon those beliefs. Work & Co has the potential to be a great agency, but fails to deliver its promises internally when it comes to company management. There is no robust HR team on staff and issues are often dismissed, or dealt with, nonchalantly. Don't expect to be treated fairly at this company; there are favorites at this agency. People are quite competitive with each other, so the environment can feel a bit toxic at times. Also, don't buy into the flat hierarchy system. There definitely is a hierarchy at this agency.

Found 18 reviews