Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

"Great workmates make for a great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talent in the company
    People share what they know
    Consistently looking out for others - both inside the company and outside

Cons

Can't think of any to mention

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our culture. It's truly making a difference.

3. "Good people, fair work, better than I expected"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Workday for about six months now, and figured it's as good of a time as any to leave a review. Before working at Workday, I was at an agency making mobile apps on contract, and before that I was with a robotics startup that had an awesome product, but killer hours. Coming in to Workday, I was a more than a little skeptical given that it's a fairly big company in a not-so-exciting field (HR software). The main reason I decided to give it a chance was the recommendation of a former co-worker who also works here. Overall it turned out to be a great decision. A few of the pros:

* Reasonable working hours - you're not constantly working like a startup
    * Great pay/stock - they know how to use the carrot to motivate, and I'm OK with that
    * Awesome people - I work directly with a lot of good engineers, and have definitely learned a lot/grown in just the last few months that I've been here. There's definitely a focus on creating maintainable and extendable software
    * Not stagnating with latest patterns - there's been a lot of new tech coming out for our platform in the last year or so, and we've been able to incorporate it into our product so our skills aren't just stagnating and getting stale.
    * Pretty flexible with time spent in the office - I have some medical things that can sometimes stop me from going in pretty frequently, and it hasn't been a problem. We can take our laptops home and there's systems in place for being able to get up and running as if I were hooked up to the office network.

Cons

Surprisingly, no major cons. I was just talking about work with my girlfriend the other day and didn't have anything major to complain about (aside from the obvious "meh, I had to work and deal with things" that you'll have anywhere - that is why we're paid, right?), and I don't think I ever have. That's saying a bit, since I've definitely had complaining points for every other place I've worked :p

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Taking the work out of workday"

Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture that makes it a continuously fun and challenging place to work. The flexibility and autonomy that are given to employees is unmatched. Last, but definitely not least, the product and innovation keep everyone driving hard day in and day out.

Cons

Keeping a heartbeat on company happenings can be difficult if you're not in California.

"Great company, dysfunctional Talent Acquisition team."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company is a good one. Our product offerings are best in our space, and the overall temperament of the company culture is above average. I also truly believe that our CEO's, Aneel and Dave, genuinely believe in our core values. This review is solely based on the current Talent Acquisition team/leadership.

Cons

Previous leadership in Talent Acquisition, while it may not have been perfect, was unifying, empowering and positive. The team felt driven and supported. It was indeed a "great place to work." There was transparency in the communications out to the team, and consistency in their message, mission and the treating employees with fairness and integrity. There has been many changes within the last 6+ months, and the general consensus is that our current leads/leadership is impersonal, calculating and cold. There are managers who would be prefer to not have to manage people but who are forced to in order to move up the ranks, and there are managers who should not have been promoted to a lead role because of a lack of experience. Along with that, there is a reorg going on in the group, and lots of movement. Both contract employees and full time are being treated as if they are quite disposable and feeling very unappreciated and unnerved. Morale is at an all time low and the overall vibe is quite toxic. Even people who act as if they are content have their eye on the market. A lot of us that have been here awhile feel if it wasn't broke, why try to fix it? Talent Acquisition and HR seem to have lost our bearing and we need to get back to our core values of integrity, collaboration, putting our customers/candidates and our employees first.

Advice to Management

I would say more guidance and training to TA leadership on how to be more consistent, fair, positive and communicative. Treat all employees, regardless if they are contract or perm, with more humanity and appreciation. It's a small world and an even smaller valley, and recruiters tend to have very large
     networks and talk to a lot of people every day.

"Infrastructure Engineer"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best place to work.

Cons

I don't see yet and may not.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Senior Sourcing Specialist/Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product, customer satisfaction is key and hiring managers are the best!

Cons

HR department is in serious need of overhaul.

Advice to Management

Clean out management in Talent Acquisition and hire people who believe in Workday culture.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really really cares about people.

Cons

Pay is a little below market rate

"Still a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 401k Matching
    - Snack Program
    - Gym Reimbursement
    - Great Leadership
    - Teams Passionate about Workday and our Products
    - Game Rooms
    - Various Onsite Vendors and Services
    - On campus Showers

Workday has proven time and time again it's committed to both it's employees and it's customers. The second is a product of the former and Senior Leadership knows it. I have never seen any company invest as much time and effort in making sure it's culture remains in tact as it continues to grow.

The technology to some may be a stumbling block but that's only because they allow it to be. For those who see it's value it molds them into better engineers who take the skills they learn in this technology and apply it elsewhere.

Overall, I enjoy getting up and going to work. Partly it's because of what I do, mostly it's because of where I do it.

Cons

Too many smart people! It's hard to stand out in a group of engineers who are so talented and passionate. It's not a very good "con" but it's the hardest part about working at Workday but also one of the parts that helps me grow as a professional.

Since getting bigger there's the natural growing pains of communication and bureaucracy. Getting other teams to cooperate sometimes is frustrating but manageable.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch! You're far removed from the day to day experiences of Individual Contributors. Find a way to keep an eye on the culture we know you want to protect.