Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A major player in the HCM world, and coming in strong to the financials world keeps you at the forefront of the industry.

Also, Workday really does care about its people. The salaries are good, great benefits (healthcare, PTO, stocks, etc.) and they have many perks - like discount services in the area, and their snack program.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done with the politicking. Workday seems to be so concerned with hurting someone's feelings / admitting mistakes in hiring that the bad apples tend to stick around for years. You just have to keep working around them, and in many cases cleaning up their messes to get your job done.

Advice to Management

The hiring practices need help: too many times I've seen people come in who presented well / had flashy resumes only to get into the trenches with them to find out that they know almost nothing about how to do the job they were hired for - even after EXTENSIVE training / assistance. Frankly, it would appear that many have misrepresented their achievements at other companies so they would get the Workday job. As the hiring decision is often made by the department managers who have head count open it would benefit all concerned if they got a crash course on how to read / evaluate job candidates better as the interview guidelines you send out don't seem to be cutting it.

Also, with regards to the perks: snacks and multiple yearly events are nice, but I would prefer to see the employee programs budget reimagined so it contributes a bit more to quality of life rather than just entertainment. Such as Ott lighting or better natural lighting in the offices (those fluorescents make working in the office very tiring), better seating (our desks keep getting smaller and smaller with each floor plan shuffle), or shuttles from the high populated Workday employee cities - San Jose, Concord,/Walnut Creek, etc. Yes, these are all big expenses, but I'd gladly trade the gifted Coke, Cheese Nips, Halloween Party, etc. for more me-time to read or listen to music to and from work each day.

"Great Internship"

Current Intern - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Intern - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people all around.

Cons

Proprietary technology that won't carry over

Advice to Management

They're too far in to ditch the tech, but the culture makes up for it.

"Amazing company and growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Fantastic Culture ,Customer Focussed Leadership is approachable, Technology is niche and time to market for new applications / features is fast. Teams really look out for each other and are challenging the status quo daily. Management is approachable and is open to suggestions from everyone.

Cons

At times it's hard to maintain the culture at the speed at which the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Keep the same level of transparency, vision across the entire organization

"Quality Assurance Engineer"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture and the people

Cons

I still have not found a con to this company

"Culture is Great, Technology Not So Much"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday prides itself on its culture, and I actually feel that is a bit of an undersell relative to my experience here. This is honestly a great place to work. The company and the people genuinely care about you. Management gives you all the tools you need to succeed, and they are generally very open about encouraging PTO (it's unlimited) to make sure nobody is overworked.

Cons

There's really no two ways around this, but the proprietary "language" XpressO is not going to do anyone with further career aspirations any good. There are little to no transferable skills, and in general, it is just frustrating to use. Even the more "traditional" software engineering roles are hamstrung by the fact that the company revolves about XpressO. This creates an environment where people are either frustrated in their current positions or have been resigned to being stuck in those positions -- either is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Workday culture is top-notch, but something has to be done about the technology stack or else we are going to bleed top talent.

"engi"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible hours, stocks

Cons

technology, technology, technology, technology, technology

"Investing in the future - a great place to work today"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing level of career investment provided to employees - you have to take advantage of what is offered, but even required training is solid. Not that it's perfect, but a big focus on solving problems and not attacking people internally - this will be the challenge as the company continues to grow. Big focus remains on the core values that got Workday over $1B, and as much as there is room for improvement, I've seen senior managers working to live out those values in their groups.

Cons

Not a 1000 person company any more - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but corporate communications could probably use some work so that things don't feel so Pleasanton-focused. Definitely feeling the challenges of battling bureaucracy and that has to be followed through with in order to keep both internal morale and customer satisfaction in the right place.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise on the core Workday values and make sure you keep your ears and eyes open as we grow.

"Good social culture"

Current Employee - Associate QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good work-life balance. Everyone's really chill and carefree. I'm supposedly on a hardcore team, but it's not so bad.
    - Unlimited PTO (with manager discretion). People typically take ~20 days of PTO a year
    - No company is free of politics, but it's not too bad here.

Cons

- No technical growth for QA engineers.
    - Very little growth for Software Devs - a lot of proprietary tools and languages.
    - Low challenges.

"Sr. Integration Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and one of the top silicon valley company to work with.

Cons

Promotions and hiring is almost becoming depends on manager instead of deserving candidates. This will ultimately make employees leave the company.

Advice to Management

Need to hire dynamic management from market revolutionary companies instead we are getting people from old school companies who worked entire life in same companies this doesn't help workday to save its culture from being ruined.

10. "Awesome Place to Be!"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

* Awesome unlimited PTO policy
    * Great snacks
    * Great people
    * Company is growing and doing really well

Cons

* 401K plan can be more generous
    * Company is growing too fast