Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated April 7, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Relaxed people, very good work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Great culture & transparency from executives (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 17 reviews)

"Experienced professionals beware and think hard before joining Workday"

Former Employee - Product Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Implementation of Agile and scrum done well - seemed to work for team on which I was a part. I had a terrific dev manager but my direct manager was ineffectual and showed no leadership or management skills.
    Application workflow and notification not bad using user inboxes internal to application.
    Also some nice features to support unique attributes that can be propagated across different objects to personalize UI and improve reporting dimensions.
    If you are a new college grad Workday probably a good place but be careful not to question managers while there - some managers feel threatened or nervous when you question their decision criteria or methods that go beyond current user concerns and needs.

Cons

1. Old Oracle and Peoplesoft employees made this place toxic and not willing to listen to input and others points of view of experienced professionals.
    2. I moved here from out of state to join what I thought was progressive company. I was with a financial software best of breed technology provider and was anxious to find out what seemingly made Workday a popular industry offering.
    3. Found out fast that I had very little input into functionality and roadmap for which I am SME with over 20 years of experience.
    4. For a company which has foundation in HCM, found employee review process completely subjective. No really KPI or quantitative metrics used to measure employee value or effectiveness. No transparency or methodology used for measuring employee contribution.
    5. Realize if you join annual raises small - Workday likes to reward RSU to keep employees satisfied.
    6. Technology 100% proprietary leading to frustration, inflexibility and rate of new development.
    7. Workday claims UX is great. Not my expire either at all. No menu navigation; no integration with external widgets. Grid control not flexibility and does not support personalization include public and private data views.
    8. If you are a experienced technical candidate with SDLC experience but not familiar with Workday - ASK TO SEE W DEMO OF PRODUCT AFTER SIGNING NDA. After leaving Workday every user I come across in other companies that use Workday Financials are NOT AT ALL fans of UX.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to formally review managers. Implement a 360 Degree survey so senior managers can get a better look of management leadership skills. Implement a employee review process that is more objective and measurable based on defined deliverables and agreed upon metrics.

"Join Workday at your own peril, all that glitters is not gold..."

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Cool and modern looking UI
    2) HCM product sells itself, not so sure of the other products especially Financials.
    3) Free snacks; but come-on how much snacks can you eat?
    4) Great Halloween party

Cons

1) Level of politics in a company of this small size is simply unbelievable especially in the product side. Most of the old timers who architected and designed the products and brought the company to the level it is currently at, have left the company. This is a playground of extreme politics and blatant favoritism.

2) Success came too easy for Workday since SAP & Oracle apps sucked big time with the general trend to the cloud. This easy success has caused many of the management folks here at WD to get really arrogant and play extreme, petty politics. The fact that there are far too many middle-aged white women in management positions across the company, helps in increasing the degree of workplace politics.

3) In an attempt to grow fast, WD let the guard down and opened the flood gates while hiring; and promoted people to management levels based on who they knew/their connections rather than abilities. This has caused WD to become a "garbage recycle center" for "rejects" from Cisco, Oracle, Amazon and ex-PeopleSoft (the old boys club of PeopleSoft!).

4) CEO and top management are obessesed with company ratings on this website. Rumor is that, it is someone's full-time job within HR is to flag any negative reviews and get them removed. The CEO also sends out emails to employees "encouraging" them to take part in the "best places to work" survey. By hook or crook they want to paint a pretty picture of the company. Are they planning to put this company up for sale?

5) Based on an internal employee survey few months back, to identify reasons for poor employee morale, some managers were moved out of their management positions to other individual contributor roles. These managers should have been fired but instead, they were offered other roles. If by any chance you set up a skip-meeting with the VP/SVP of your group, your immediate manager gets to know about it instantaneously! So much for their transparency and open door policy! Almost everything seems to be an eye-wash or fake. Other companies that do not claim to be employee friendly have better processes and do not put on a show.

Advice to Management

1) Rather than do lip-service to your slogan of happy employees, put that into action. Time to walk the talk.

2) Get HR to get its act together and stop wasting time scanning websites to flag and remove negative comments.

3) Clean up your product teams. Many of your management folks are woefully not up to the job. Level of politics is concentrated in the product teams across the company.

4) Create processes and institute a 360-degree review before promoting people to manager positions.

5) If you cannot do any of the above, please throw out the slogan of being a "people friendly" or "employee friendly" company. Free snacks, Halloween party or a company meeting with free food & drinks doesn't make a company an employee friendly one. There is more to it.

6) Bring back Dave Duffield. Coincidentally, the company has been on a downward slope ever since Dave left.

Feb 22, 2017 – Ashley Goldsmith, Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback; it’s very much appreciated. I, along with the rest of the Workday leadership team, believe our success is measured by the degree to which we abide by our core values. As ... More

"Great Product but Culture Has Tanked"

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Workday (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great Product, Leader in HCM/Payroll. Financials is getting better.
    -CEO is solid and a genuinely good guy
    -Free snacks and drinks

Cons

-Politics are overwhelming employees
    -Many Leaders using fear-based management style
    -Micro-management is becoming the norm
    -Sales goals are high and unattainable

Advice to Management

I'm not sure the culture can recover considering where it is today. Get back to treating employees like valued human beings not an employee number.

"Worst company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Remote work ok

Cons

Workday is concerned about customer satisfaction and to obtain that rating employees are thrown under the bus. If a client is unhappy
    and just don't
     like the consultant, you will get a call from the EM saying your off the project. Regardless of the fact the client is at fault, Workday needs a scape goat. You are placed in situations were you get no training and told to figure it out. A recipe for failure

Advice to Management

Provide training to your consultants. Quit back stabbing them. Most of the time they never know there is a problem till you get the call. Stress levels are extreme. Change or have a door with consultants coming and going

"Workday - worst place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in the east bay.

Cons

Workday prides themselves on core values. They say priority one is its employees. NOT TRUE. Workday is a company that only cares about itself. There is no communication or transparency from management. You are nothing but a number…. The culture that used to be employee and customer centric is gone.

Advice to Management

Start caring about you employees and treating them as more than a number.

7. "worker bee"

Current Freelancer - Social Worker in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Freelancer - Social Worker in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

odd mix of supposed culture, savvy folks will see thru

Cons

CCO should step down or lose her license...oh you didn't know she was a lawyer?

Advice to Management

you can't force everyone to sign severance, some folks will make it out and report these to the authorities

aclu is a non starter, EEOC on the surface may require lawyer: OSHA, NLRB, DOL, DFEH, California Data Breach and Privacy=>State AG are your first options, then others. Google whistleblower california and work down the list from there.

"Great technology, horrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday has great technology. The platform is very modern, robust, and innovative. The UI is easy to use and customers, for the most part, have a positive experience with Workday. I believe that our CEO is an honest, ethical, smart leader.

Cons

Unfortunately, our CEOs ethics do not translate down into the trenches where we work. Middle management is horrible! It is very much a boys club and preferential treatment is given to those that are a part of the in-crowd. Communication from middle management is terrible and employee feedback is definitely an "F" word. I am planning to leave this year and hope that my next company stands behind its stated core values.

Advice to Management

Solicit honest feedback from your employees in an anonymous way and have an open door policy. If you take the time to speak with the worker bees, you will get a completely different perspective.

"It's a legendary company, but mostly due to its past"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a huge company. There are a lot of opportunities here. Some are better than others. And there are a lot of interesting people. When you read the other reviews and find something really positive or really negative - they both could be true. In a company of this scale your immediate team/project/manager may have more impact on your personally than "the average" company culture. Yes, not everyone gets lucky to find a golden nugget, but some people do and Workday still has a lot of golden nuggets to be found.

While Workday is becoming a typical large corporation with a lot of doublespeak, paranoid restrictions to prevent liabilities (hey, what have you done to our coveted Halloween party? With all new restrictions like now power extenders, nothing too scary, etc - a lot of top teams from the past years just took this year off completely. It was probably middle school grade level this year with a bunch of paper decorations hanging on PVC pipes... Really!?), it still has some really good values.

It does value families. If you need to take a day off or adjust your schedule because of your kids - they managers do accommodate.

It helps students to start their careers.

It values the customers.

I can keep this list going.

Cons

Having said all these good things about Workday, why do I have so negative opinion about Workday? Because it is really frustrating. Yes, it's a nice workplace with a lot of meant-to-be-right statements. But do they make workers happy and satisfied? Based on what I see around me the answer is predominantly No. There is a lot of dissatisfaction and frustration in the air.

Why?

People want to make a difference with what they do. For the most of us it is not an option. We are given confusing directions, no clear planning, no clear goals or metrics. We do a lot of work but a lot of that work is pointless and feedback is not welcome.

Then the tools. Just imagine how a good cook would feel being asked to prepare a dinner with a dull knife. Think about it. Imagine a ripe tomato in your hand and a dull knife and instead of slicing it nicely you get that ugly squashed red mess. Would it be frustrated? Or yeah! This is how we feel here every day. Or basic internal ticketing system is having issues. Our builds are failing. Our internal language is so weird - a lot of people see it as a career dead-end-move.

Then the policies. The "do what I say not what I do" mentality is everywhere. We have a very few documented processes and procedures and they are routinely violated.

Career path. Some people do get promoted. I just don't know how and what to do to be promoted. Can someone tell us?

The the compensation. It is below the market. In the early days it was all about we are going to build a successful company and it's going to pay off. Now we've built a company and guess what? We need to be profitable ... One reason after another, but our compensation stays low.

Finally, the overall "doublespeak" from the top managers. Back in the days we had open door policy. With a very few exceptions It was ok to go to meetings you're not invited to and learn what is going on. Skipping levels of management was ok. Talking to your bosses boss was normal. Now all those things are gone. We see things go wrong and the answer now is secrecy and obscurity.

It all adds up.

Advice to Management

Frankly, I think it's passed beyond point of no return.

We are a mature business and it's hard to change the culture. It's very clear that the top management doesn't want to hear honest feedback. We have been asking to provide feedback on our managers - that didn't get anywhere. When I try to raise a concern and skip a layer - it goes reported back to my managers and guess what happens?

Also, the other direction. it seems like we have a lot of meetings but very clear sense of direction where the company is going. Back in the days our senior managers routinely were explaining what the goals are, who is doing what and what the numbers look like. Now it's hard to tell what we are doing, our org chart keeps changing while there is more and more confusion about what team is doing what and the efficiency of the past projects - don't even ask about that!

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a frustrating experience and we’ll try to do everything in our power to make it right. We value your feedback and will definitely keep ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible paid vacation benefits/policy.....that is usually abused.....

Cons

Poor hiring practices, they are so desperate to compete in the big leagues that they hire anyone or settle for mediocre candidates and this happens at all levels. The Salt Lake City facility is the worst because they cannot find a good pool of candidates nor candidates with the experience to work with a company that wants to compete with the big boys.

Advice to Management

Need superstar senior leadership not locals with medium to low expertise

"Great place to work, if you started your career at Workday"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Decent name to have on your resume

Cons

Flawed promotion model that only benefits those who started their careers at Workday. GWs' titles and pay are increased at regular intervals, but everyone else is stuck with the same title and pay they were hired at indefinitely.

New hires are not given the chance to show their potential or expand their skill set. Growth opportunities always go to those who have spent the longest amount of time with Workday.

Strong tendency to shaft experienced engineers into lower positions to keep costs down. Needless to say, salary and benefits are not competitive and titles do not match up with experience.

Advice to Management

Your employees--especially your great employees--deserve better.

The current promotion system is stifling motivation and initiative, and fueling resentment. No superstar wants to work in an environment where their talents aren't rewarded.

Spend little less time bolstering GWs' careers and a little more time on the seasoned engineers you have left feeling jilted.

Sep 14, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We value it and will definitely keep your feedback in mind. Our employees are extremely important to us, and we regret that you have had an experience that has made you ... More