Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• Below market pay & the proprietary language are the two huge reasons we don't attract or retain top talent (in 22 reviews)

"The most immature company ever"

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small group of nice people. Fun events. Great snacks & drinks. Few great leaders like Lynn Christensen, Betsy Bland & Jacqueline Brown.

Cons

Entitled employees that feel that they can say and do anything. Passive aggressive behavior. Promotions based on technical skills not factoring in interpersonal skills mostly bad managers

Advice to Management

I've never had a boss raise their voice to me until I worked at Workday. Others felt that my boss was intimidated by me. That may be so and regardless I was not set up to be successful.
    Very immature shady behavior by leaders. Mean leaders. They bash the competition regularly and openly. Not professional.
    Say they want to take risks then don't.
    All talk.

"Toxic & Political Work Environment"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good technology (bad UI). Some decent people still there, but most have left or are in the process of leaving.

Cons

What started as a great company culture has been heavily manipulated by a collection of people in high places and twisted upside down. It’s become a “me first”, fear-based culture. Please do not confuse “me first” with “leading from the front”. Management is the first to take credit for good outcomes, and the first to throw their people under the bus when things go wrong. It’s the reason why the same people get promoted and go to quota club each year despite sub-par performance. Some managers with 100% turnover on their teams go to club each and every year. The work environment is toxic and dominated by political games that HR supports. If you are on their good side, you can operate with impunity. If you are on their bad side they will target you by putting your every move under the microscope. Somehow this is okay and no one seems to care. I’ve heard horror stories about what happened to people who made complaints about this to HR.
    The hard truth is coming out about the real intentions of our company. It’s not about customer success or employee well-being, it’s about money, plain and simple. That’s not the culture this company was founded on.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of assessing performance and hire some true people leaders rather than the stooges propped up by HR based on who they like best. Exercise some moral character and get back to the values that made Workday a great place to work many years ago. Stop acting like Oracle and SAP although that seems to be the leadership we are hiring at the moment.

"Don't drink the koolaid"

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have to have 20 words so this is the only reason I have anything to add in this area

Cons

Some employees think they are the best of the best because they work for workday and think their way is the best way and not open minded to others opinions or views.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, there are plenty of great companies that don't want their employees to be in a cult like culture

"Think Twice - If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

If you're related to someone there, or best friends with your manager, you will have a job for life and be promoted to your greatest level of uselessness.

Cons

Difficult place to work, expectations are beyond ridiculous at times. Unrealistic goals expectations. If you're not part of the inner clique, they will band together to make sure you will not survive. I've seen this behavior on numerous occasions.

Advice to Management

Stop letting managers hire their unqualified friends and pay attention to hostile work environments created by managers who bully their employees.

"Beware of Customer Support and the Sub-Cultures of Workday"

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

A strong technology stack since its inception, with a lot of really bright people who are continuously adjusting that stack to both keep up with leading standards, requirements, and improve their overall operations at scale. It’s pretty amazing to see any customer’s business challenge somehow overcome with success. That happens at Workday.

A lot of people are genuinely trying to always have fun (it’s part of the culture).

Cons

Workday has a great story. A rise from the PeopleSoft ashes after big bad Oracle came and ruined their party. The values Dave and Aneel brought and put into Workday at the beginning are great. The extreme growth of the company has made it near impossible to keep those values in-tact over the last several years, allowing it to unfortunately only exist in pockets.

If you can find the right team, it’s possible to find a happy home at Workday. While this is often true at any organization, the risks are greater at Workday, as their leadership has done a poor job to hold managers accountable and keep that culture together. This is especially true in the Support organization where micro management reigns.

Leaders and managers are not held accountable. HR has done their best to facilitate feedback sessions within organizations. The ending results end up being nothing, as the leaders who receive poor feedback either push back or never change, and even worse, are not required to by their own leaders.

The leaders of customer support are notorious for extreme micro management. It’s common practice to see the VPs and Directors actively commenting on support cases and internal incidents, often when the case or incident is already under control and being processed successfully by an analyst. When their own people have pushed back to complain that this limits their growth and autonomy, they have been ignored or no action has been taken to try to correct, it’s just the way it is.

There is an extreme lack of accountability and collective team attitude built into Workday’s culture. When things are running smooth, everyone is happy. Hope and pray you aren’t the one who makes a mistake, because the mindset across orgs is the blame game. I was shocked to see common attitudes of “This is X’s fault” in this org rather than “How do we work through this together and prevent it in the future”. This is a cultural problem that stems down from the top.

Career growth and progression are not clear. Culturally the mindset has been to put the manager in charge of facilitating growth and feedback within their own people. This is great when the manager is comfortable having career discussions with their people and meets with them frequently. Given Workday has struggled to coach and train their managers to be successful at this, many managers do a poor job, leaving employees confused on where they stand, and what their future options are, both at Workday and within their existing organization.

Advice to Management

Fix the micro management in customer support, or you’ll continue to build people and managers who think that type of leadership is appropriate and can’t think for themselves. It’s already clear that executive leadership seems to think as long as Customer Support keeps hitting their Customer Satisfaction numbers, who really cares what else is happening there, right?

If Workday ever wants to be able to scale at a greater level and have their culture persist, they need to hold poor managers and leaders accountable, and not just let them keep on doing what they’re doing, because they’re part of the old PeopleSoft club – which seems to be a common complaint on Glassdoor.

The top levels of the executive team are to blame here. Fixing problems starts with them.

"Bad"

Pros

The company has really good health benefits, they also have a lot of fun activities for their employees. Cool building.

Cons

Low pay, no raises or pay scale. No room for growth or opportunities. The company does not give raises, and the only give 1.85 hours of sick leave every two weeks.

"Do not walk from a sales position- RUN!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Product, good people, fun events, nice snacks.

Cons

-Continue to over hire AE's and shrink territories - Ask for the Account Executive churn rate.
    -Micro-management is the norm
    -Sales goals are high and unattainable - less then 10% are even close to their Quota or OTE.
    -Extremely high implementation costs making solution close to impossible to sell.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring new sales executives until at least 20% of your AE's are at least hitting 50% of their number.

"Office Bullying by Mid-Tier Leaders, incompetent workers forming cliques to secure power"

Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Snacks, nice office, ping pong table

Cons

Coming to Workday was a dream come true for me. I took a pay cut to enter into this seemingly culture and employee focused company. The truth is, my dreams quickly became a nightmare once I joined. Management in Services is highly unsupportive of career growth, they are doing massive layoffs masked in different phases, mid-tier management "leaders" are malicious towards their employees. There is a lot of office bullying, public shaming, favoritism and leaders try to form cliques to secure their power. They do not care about their employees, and the work environment is highly hostile. I come into work everyday dreading and hoping that I will one day get out of this black hole. Life keeps getting worse as more malicious leaders gain power in the company. At this point, I, as well as many other co-workers are suffering and have a gloomy outlook on our future here. Many have left, and many are getting laid off. No one knows about their tomorrow.

Advice to Management

I hope management will somehow turn this around because this is the worst work environment I have ever gotten myself into.

"Little New SAP - STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday's technology foundation is good. There are some really talented employees, but they are often overlooked and treated poorly.

Cons

If you want to flat line your career, come to Workday. If you are good at playing corporate politics, this is the place for you. If you supplement your lack of performance with severe brown nosing, come to Workday. If you like making the same below market salary every year, come to Workday. If you think outside of the box to challenge the status quo you will not succeed here. Entrenched middle and upper management will become scared of your initiative and start undermining your efforts to protect their own jobs. The culture is a facade. It's becoming customary for people to make up stories about their co-workers and report them to HR as a way to carry out immature childish games. Good people are treated poorly and are now leaving in droves. So many good people are leaving that you could make a start-up of top tier talent if you waited outside Workday's front door. The incoming new hires all come from SAP and are bringing their terrible culture with them. Abusive management is commonplace and quality leadership is in short supply. Best advice I can give is if you come here keep your mouth shut and don't try to make a positive difference. DO NOT stand up for what is right because it will only make you a target.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at our core values and start treating people with integrity. I'd take better leadership from people who legitimately care about their employees rather than more snack food. It's not that hard.

"Sales/Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HCM Solution and customers are very happy.

Cons

Workday is not a good place to work if you carry a quota. Only about 15% of the sales people make their number and the other 85% are literally starving. Territories are so tight and the quotas are so high. There is a lot of finger pointing and political games. Workday is a mini Oracle.

Also, it looks like the companies long term outlook is based on the success of their financial solution. It is a pretty good play for mid market companies that don't have complex accounting needs, but it won't ever scale to the enterprise and is only a fit for a few verticals.

Advice to Management

Practice collegiality and integrity. RSMs and RVPs are terrible.