Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Cultural Facade..not the cultural gem portrayed in media."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hr technology in cloud that shifted what
    expectations should be for enterprise software. Great snacks and cool offices. People in the field try so hard. Lots of good people in lower ranks of organization.

Cons

Culture is not real and means very little at the top of the organization. Egos and fear rule and people are afraid to speak up for fear of losing job/ stock. The stock incentive has caused bad behavior which has resulted in a cut throats culture. People fend for themselves at the cost and detriment of others. If you are not employee 1-500 you do not matter. At the cultural improvement events the stories all tied back to employees from the beginning...that in itself tells a bigger story.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are in trenches doing the hard work to make the company profitable. Making decisions on emotion and whim takes so much toll on the organizations morale and core being.

"Where dreams and decisions go to die"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Values employee satisfaction & building good culture
    Very successful product in marketplace
    Great investment in training programs

Cons

Decisions do not get made, things are painfully slow to get approved
    Bureaucratic environment
    B-caliber executive team
    Below market pay
    Poor mid-level management
    Lack of ability to continue training/support programs after completion
    Over-commitment to customers means product delivery is falling way behind
    For a company of the size and magnitude of Workday, there is a lack of structure in processes
    No bonus incentive for FTE's in most orgs

Advice to Management

Providing value to customers and employees is great, but are you really listening to what is going on day-to-day within the organization? Culture is suffering as the company begins to grow at such a fast rate, don't become another bloated enterprise company.

"Workday's Culture is tanking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Lots of smart people
    - Fun work
    - Good location

Cons

- Culture has gotten so bad they're reverting to brainwashing us into thinking it's good
    - Bad, bad, bad choices in management
    - Huge promotion inequities

Advice to Management

An entire company meeting trying to make us feel like we're focused on making a great culture? Really? Actions speak louder than words.

Jan 17, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We’re very sorry to hear that you feel this way, and we will do everything in our power to try and make this right for you. If you have any questions regarding the ... More

"Sr. Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, the evolution of ERP will begin with Workday.

Cons

Lack of recognition and professional development.

Advice to Management

Find leaders from outside of the industry, don't pull in leadership from the competition, it just continues the vicious cycle.

Jan 17, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your feedback; we definitely value it and will keep this in mind. Providing our employees with a rewarding career experience through recognition and professional development is ... More

"It has some bright sides but also some dark ones too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of low level positions. A lot of people are leaving the company, the turnover is quite high, so there are always openings.

Exposure to a lot of technologies.

Free snacks are great.

Easy to work from home. For the most people no overtime.

Cons

The elephant in the room is the below market compensation. Bay Area is a very pricy place and it's hard to be a happy employee excited about the company when your paycheck is below what your peers in other places make. The days of dreaming about Workday stock hitting $500 are gone and the harsh reality is settling in.

Low efficiency. You think that Workday is a cool company and you think I can get by on a low salary but I'm going to learn something, how about that? Workday does have some nice tricks to learn. It's core HCM product is competitive, customer support is great, finance team is above and beyond, there are bright people here and there. But overall Workday is extremely inefficient. While its major competitors are highly profitable, Workday just can't figure out how to make money. It drags a lot of useless individuals and whole teams, its data centers are underutilized, it's acquiring other companies and developing products and they just don't bring profits in.

Career dead end technologies. Workday tries to reinvent the wheel in many ways. A lot of developers are using a proprietary language called Xpresso - stay as far as you can! It's core products are using in house developed software - same story, very proprietary, not being used outside of Workday. I guess it helps companies to keep salaries low because after a few years it's hard to find jobs outside - this is something to consider.

What happens when you put together a lot of people who can't find jobs outside of this company, keep them working on reinventing the wheel and under pay? Yes, right. Politics, secrecy, nepotism - other reviewers have mentioned it many times and it is true.

Advice to Management

We all want our company to look good, but some issues are becoming too hot to hide. The low pay leads to high turn over - it's real and easy to see. The happy employees are not supposed to leave the company at this rate. Our goal of becoming profitable doesn't seem to be consistent with our practices. No accountability, dragging on inefficient people and projects - really? As reviewers mentioned before our goal of zero security events and more and more questionable security practices. The list keeps going on ... We've stated great values - we just need to be true to them, can we?

And one more thing ... It was a really nice move to buy more parking spaces ... Can we add more restrooms too? The lines around 2 pm are bad.

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We value it and will definitely keep this in mind. We understand that compensation is an important part of attracting and retaining great talent, and it’s concerning that ... More

"This is not the company you're looking for, move along"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Work-life balance but depends on your group. Somewhat good culture but again, depends on your group. Nice people. Company cares about customer satisfaction and seems to be a disruptor in the ERP space.

Cons

Used to be a darling among startups, now just another company. Was once great, has potential to be great again (haha) in a few years, but avoid right now during this awkward and undesirable time. Workday sells their culture but that is nebulous and depends on your group. Workday uses the culture to cover up issues that would turn people away. Proprietary code only goes so far. Rampant hiring without being purposeful. Immature recent college-grad workforce and inexperienced managers. Deadweight pre-IPO people. Salaries embarrassingly below market. Don't expect to be rewarded for being a good soldier or even promotion. Location is so far away from the Bay Area and no shuttles to help out with this. Parking is actually becoming a real problem. Impossible to find a spot after 9:45am, high rate of break-ins, and a history of cars being stolen.

Advice to Management

You want to grow but also reduce costs to show non-GAAP profitability. This creates conflicting goals in orgs. It is confusing that you will not invest in your employees in the name of profitability. But then blow tons of money on an all expense paid trip to the Caribbean for sales people who already make a king's ransom in commission. Cut out deadweight, then grow nurture and reward the people you have.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Support in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love my coworkers and the work that we do. Workday is a great place and seems to care about its employees (to an extent).

Cons

Work/Life balance is non-existent. Everyone I know is slammed and overworked. When one person takes a day off the rest of the team pays for it. That leaves us all feeling guilty when we want to spend time with our family away from work. If things don't change, I'm looking for a new job elsewhere. I have nothing but love for Workday, but I'm starting to wonder if the feeling is mutual.

Advice to Management

Hire more people! You are burning your best employees out.

"The Culture Sucks"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You may get a decent manager, but umm, good luck.

Cons

-Culture: they pride themselves on culture and being a system of engagement, but that is a joke. The system is driven by customer's complaining and zero data. Product manager do not even use data driven decisions.

-Middle management is terribly mean and jaded; they only manage upwards.

-Your success is dependent upon one variable: how much you try to look like you work as opposed to being evaluated on your actual work.

Advice to Management

Take a poll or a survey, an ACTUAL internal survey, you might just find out that everyone is miserable. You might find that middle management is sometimes so bad that it borders on harassment. No one cares, everyone just tells everyone in upper management that things are great. I see brilliant people leave all the time because there will be an organization that treats them with respect.

"Thinking about joining Workday?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Workday has some bright sides. If you're graduating and not sure where to go - Workday could be a good place. The Generation Workday and Internships programs here are excellent. You'll be surrounded by care and given many chances to find what suites well.

I'm also proud about our facilities team. The free snacks and drinks are excellent and the offices are clean and nice. Employee programs are well above average.

There are some bright and sharp people here and there and if you're looking for a mentor or a good teammate - that's possible.

However, I do talk to a lot to students and while a few years ago Workday was one of the coolest places to be it's definitely losing it's glory now. It may help you to get started quickly, but it won't get you far. A lot of processes and technologies Workday is using are either not marketable or far from being cutting edge or best practices. So make sure you absorb the best and not the worst. Bad habits might be hard to break.

Cons

I've been around for a few years and here is the situation I ended up in. The technology I'm working on is very proprietary and getting outdated with every year. If I decide to look for another job ... it will be hard. So it will be hard for my manager. And probably for his manager. We all kinda stuck here. And the company knows that. The pay is below average and a lot of people are focused on job security. The managers are picking direct reports based on the personal loyalty, they manage up, they sabotage introducing data driven metrics, we keep adding more and more new projects and growing technical debts - you get the idea, right?

Why don't I stand up and say something about it? Let's see ... If I tell my manager that he is not being efficient - I'll likely get fired. I can't really prove I do my job well because - remember, no metrics! If I go to HR - the same will happen. At this point so many managers are all interested in keeping status quo - no single individual can change anything.

Why don't I just pack and leave? At some point I probably will. A lot of employees who have marketable skills have done it already. But if you're working on something like Xpresso - you're stuck. And if my manager sucks - why do I have to leave?

Advice to Management

I'm sure you have access to more information than I do. What I see is our processes are getting loose, so our quality. More importantly, as you stated in the past, happy employees make happy customers. And with more and more frustrated employees our risks are going up.

The feedback is clear. We need data driven reviews, accountability, reward people based on what they do and what who they know and what company they came from, replace underperforming managers, set clear goals, start trimming off hopeless projects, restore trust with HR. It's going to be painful to say no to your friends now but otherwise we may lose our company later. You don't need to replace all bad managers and employees - just hold a few accountable and reward a few good ones. Set some clear rules and demonstrate that you're serious about enforcing them and it will start our recovery.

"Professional Services Group"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Snack program, flexibility to work remotely, many co-workers are fantastic, bright colleagues. What Workday "say's" they stand for. Various events to bring the larger Workday population together.

Cons

Next to no ability to grow professionally. Significant hurdles from middle management layer. Career limiting in many areas. Shameful where an employee's mood is predicated upon what kind of a mood the manager is in or whether the employee needs to deal with the manager. Common mood on the team of walking on "egg shells". Around Workday - frequent lowering of morale. What was acceptable one day, changes next week, and right back to the original a week after that.....

Advice to Management

Be selective about those moved into various middle management roles. Solicit completely anonymous feedback from people within a department. When several folks are no longer around and the rest of the team dreads coming into work and is looking to move on......look at the common denominator (manager). Current structure does not enable freedom to speak - there WILL be repercussions... Management - focus on what made Workday great for so many years - the culture. It's been lost over the years. With Workday's growth you would also expect the occasional financial raise in ALL departments - but pay is frequently "flat lined" year-over-year in many many departments.... A small raise, even if only a % or two is a reasonable expectation from employees. A limit of $3,000 company match on 401k per year is rather insulting. Yes, it's better than nothing, but it's pittance compared to other companies in the tech field that offered matching......