Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

"Was a great company..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Market leader in its core business
    - Wonderful products. Customers love it !
    - Great team mates
    - Good work/life balance
    - Stock price at 105 ! - helps weather the pain !
    - Interesting work ( if you know the right people )
    - Great location ( new BART and 580/680 interchange )
    - Some managers are genuinely care about their teams and stand up against upper management whims. Of course some get cut down and leave as they can't take it anymore, others just submit to the dictates and survive.

Cons

- Was a great company - pre IPO and couple of years after that
    - Culture is going down the drain with new management in Tools. Apps is still alright.
    - Apps have a different issue with proprietary technology.
    - Have to know how to suck up to upper management now to get ahead. Or else you are stuck or ignored
    - Senior management is afraid to talk to executive management about issues as it might be taken in a wrong way. Just drink the cool-aid and all will be fine.
    - Invasion of folks from Ireland

Advice to Management

- CEO should wake up to see the reality in Engineering. Just because products are selling great doesn't mean all is well. There is a reason why most of the senior engineers are leaving. Bring back previous management.
    - HR can improve their act. We are market leaders in HCM space!
    - Customer Support department needs to be revamped. Half of the support analysts don't know what they are doing. They just shiver when the top manager is on every case (literally)
    - Certainly miss Dave's openness and frank conversations
    - Create a genuine feedback loop - not just namesake - and be ready to hear honest critical opinions. Employees are your friends !

"Workday"

Former Employee - Instructor in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing company; excellent senior management team that knows how to execute to plan.

Cons

Highly political workplace environment; career success depends on who you know and how well connected you are to company movers and shakers. Workday is not a meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Many mid-level managers and even some higher ups are where they are because they are friends or friends of friends of the people in charge -- not because they are skilled managers.

"Company Culture is changing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its all good until 2017.. Good Benefits, good package

Cons

Culture is slowly changing, as they are hiring more people from cisco, which they bring worst sort of culture with. Hiring people of less talent, just because they know them. Everyone has their own agenda to promote, rather than company growth.

Advice to Management

Hire the best, rather than hire/promote the people who you know from before.

4. "Good Place to Work"

Former Contractor - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Workday as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, warm, flexible, big company

Cons

Location, not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities to challenge themselves

"Best place to work? Not in sales."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Solid c-levels.

Cons

Way too much rolling out from corporate to field sales (admin, meetings, surveys, training, more meetings, marketing, and a few more meetings,). Sales needs to be in front of prospect more. Fire drills are going to happen, but EVERYTHING there is a fire drill, making it very difficult to plan/schedule selling activity. Highly touted culture may exist at corporate, but doesn't translate to field.

Advice to Management

Establish a steady cadence in the field so the days are more predictable.

"Great Company- Talent Acquisition morale at an all time low and no longer cohesive"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love Workday, I love the people and up to recently the values.
    Workday has a great company culture with an exciting and emerging product range. I truly believe our founders and CEO's David and Aneel believe in the company’s values as do most of great people I have had the pleasure of working with. While challenges naturally exist when you are partnering with business stakeholders I can say without hesitation that recruiters in Workday are respected and valued by business partners/hiring managers. This review is not something I could ever have imagined writing abut Workday.

Cons

Previous leadership team was not perfect; many of us were excited for the next stage TA and the new challenges ahead with new leadership. While not perfect I must say we had transparency and a clear road map of our goals. Morale was high and 90% of us were committed to delivering above and beyond for our hiring managers. The goals were challenging but we faced them as a team. Many of us faced long hours and we were extremely busy but we didn’t care because we had a united team and believed we were a key cog in creating one of the greatest companies on earth.

In contrast the last 8 months have seen a gradual decline in morale, team cohesiveness and job security. We no longer feel like we provide a valuable contribution to the growth of this awesome company and now feel like a cost to the business. Permanent team members feel their job security is diminished and that their contribution over the last few years has been forgotten; some vocally and others privately are actively looking for new roles. Contract employees who joined believing that if they contributed they could have an amazing future here now feel that their stay is temporary. New managers and old have been asked to promote and implement new goals in our “transformation” without any road map or idea of how it will happen in reality.

The toughest part of the current set up is that we are becoming less motivated, less willing to go the extra yard for the company and it is our partners and hiring managers who will be impacted. Unfortunately it is very easy to create “wins” and a perception of successes when the reality is we are suffering and it will impact how we deliver to our customers and promote Workday to our candidates in the medium and long term.

Advice to Management

Create SMART goals, provide guidance and training to TA leaders so they can be more confident, consistent and enable us to raise our standards

Treat all employees’ INCLUDING contract employees with dignity and appreciation. We are on the front line telling the Workday story, also the valley is a small community.

Workday Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We value your feedback and will absolutely keep it in mind. Providing our TA team with a rewarding career experience is a priority—at Workday, we put employees first—and we... More

"Good culture, Proprietary language is career limiting"

Former Intern - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Intern - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture! Foosball, NERF guns, pool and table tennis are everyday stuff here. A lot of return offers, and some really relaxed people and management. Intern program is pretty big, so it can seem a little disorganized from the Engineering Manager side of things.

Cons

Language they use is very limiting. I wouldn't recommend if you're going into senior year. I haven't had much trouble with internship seeking, but there is no way this is transferable to a full time role. Although Workday would be a good place to work after graduation. Also, Pleasanton isn't great.

Advice to Management

Be more open about Xpresso and it's limitations. Also, might just be my team but my projects were horribly mismanaged.

"Great product & company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product ,great teams, Great company,on site snacks,bring your pet to work,
    investment in millenials

Cons

Haphazard interview process -not standardized,it depends on hiring managers
    Salt lake city office is a cultural misnomer ie Zero diversity in engagement and a few diverse employee faces (per EEO).
    Solutions sold to customers do not reach other departments, resulting in inefficiencies and over-staffing
    Occasional pet at work blues such as barking dog

Advice to Management

Create a culture that nurtures creativity across the board.
    When you hire diverse populations engage them and identify growth potential.
    Train managers on how to manage diverse groups. Most have no clue and unfortunately have no one to tell them they have no clue.Whereas this at the moment may not have a direct financial impact it may be a market threat with competitors in future. Eg providing over 40s with ping pong or jenga for fun is almost a punishment but a delight to millennials.

"work, work, work, work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Groups that focus on wellness, sustainability, and charitable causes. Well-maintained office spaces. Benefits and pay are competitive.

Cons

Everyone is overworked. The bureaucracy is a soul suck.

"Feeling Neglected"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, Worklife Balance, Core Values, Benefits, Executive Leadership Team

Cons

Managers do not have enough time for their employees. They are spread too thin. Often missing 1:1s or cutting them short. The only time I can get a hold of my manager is during our 1:1s and sometimes not even then.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing team sizes to eliminate the occurrence of managers not having enough time for their employees.