Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Friendly atmosphere and work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Great culture & transparency from executives (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 17 reviews)

"Great start but head start no longer exists"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, good people, was great product, now just good

Cons

Culture is loaded with politics and favorite playing
    Amazing that 80% of Salespeople starve while 20% are the hero's. Usually the Mega deal guys.
    Product not able to pull off the "pretty" bright shiny object approach any longer

Advice to Management

Understand that competition has caught up and change the messaging. Other then the HR lovefest, Most businesses aren't falling for it anymore.

"Software Applications Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Follows Agile/scrum practices well and good collaborative/team atmosphere.

Cons

Technology is too difficult to learn quickly. A little chaotic and disorganized. Boot camp and other internal training needs to be improved.

"An alright place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of nice people here. Work life balance is very good, very few people are pressured to stay late or work long hours. Remote working and vacations are very flexible.

Cons

The tech stack is pretty bizzare, the work isn't usually that interesting, the directors don't particularly care about the opinions or beliefs of their employees. The competence of coworkers is... questionable.

Advice to Management

Hire better people and clean house with the underperformers. Also if your entire team hates your decision maybe you shouldn't do it.

"Peaceful place to work"

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is important here
    Decent pay
    Peaceful place
    Everyone here i very nice and will help you if you ask

Cons

Although everyone is nice, the people here are definitely not very ambitious or motivating.
    This is a good company to settle down and earn a good paycheck with benefits, but if you are young and ambitious, you may feel a little restrained at Workday.

Advice to Management

Workday is very fast growth and I think they do not have very high standards in hiring managers in order to accommodate the fast growth, so a few bad ones make it as a manager. Maybe try to weed out less competent managers no matter how nice or kind they are.

"From Good to Great to Average...and trending downward..."

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry leading product that continues to pull ahead of the competition
    Really great co-workers who are smart, work hard, and are down to Earth
    Decent work/life balance unlimited PTO (in reality it depends on department/manager)
    Flexible with working from home (in reality it depends on role/manager)
    Company is continuing to grow and is doing great things in the HCM, Finance, and Higher Education space
    Free snacks/drinks/bagels in the breakroom (if you really care about this)

Cons

Becoming increasingly bureaucratic
    Below market pay
    Promotions are few and far between (lots of lip service from managers) and very little transparency into how compensation/performance cycles really work

All of the reviews about it not being the same Workday in as little as 2 years+ ago are true. The company has been growing extremely fast which isn't necessarily a con, but in the case of Workday, I feel like it has been especially in how the culture of the company has been affected. Workday used to be a great place to work with very much a startup like vibe and the culture that also reflected what I felt was Workday's true culture. However, too many great employees that have been loyal to the company are beginning to leave or are looking to leave because they get passed up for promotions and instead end up with the responsibility of training new colleagues and managers who will make more than them for doing essentially the same work. You see this trend in multiple departments within the company. Most of the mid-upper management positions will be hired in from the outside and most of those managers will manage up and delegate menial tasks to their direct reports.

The 'company culture' isn't really enforced and most of middle-management probably could not care less about it, at least that's how it feels now and I've been watching this trend for 1.5 years.

I truly believe that executive management has employees bests interests at heart and talks about being transparent and gathering feedback often, but there hasn't been an environment that's been created where employees feel comfortable with speaking their minds because usually their managers are also in the room when these topics are mentioned. Aside from a few solid managers (true leaders as I like to call them) that truly care about their teams and work tirelessly to mentor, develop, and grow their members so that they succeed, it seems as though the rest are just concerned about themselves and making sure they look good for their managers so they can move onto the next best thing. Some managers are really nice and great people, but they don't fight for their employees when issues arise or when it comes to compensation and promotions, which is disappointing.

There's a reason why employees are taking to Glassdoor to express their frustrations because there really isn't any other avenue aside from complaining to your co-workers (which happens often). I truly hope to see this change and that we'll get back to being the same great Workday we once were.

Advice to Management

Develop and distribute an employee engagement survey to gather feedback anonymously on how employees truly feel. I bet the results you find will be astounding and you'll see that some serious changes need to be made. Pay your people what they're worth instead of forcing them to leave and come back to get a pay raise. Don't we have all of this great data inside Workday? Let's start using it!

"Fast growing and challenging"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday was in a crazy growth phase. There were a lot of very smart people working very hard. I really enjoyed working with my peers.

Cons

With the rapid growth, the great workplace culture was lost. I was an early employee and rode the iPO ride. When I started it was a great place to work. By the time I left it was no longer the same. What a loss.

Advice to Management

Not much to say - the executive management team was great and I had tremendous respect for them.

8. "Not worth the effort, little intellectual stimulation"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Workday as an intern

Pros

Super easy job, can get away with working 30 hours a week and the rest staying home or playing pool

Cons

Low Pay compared to companies in the area
    In Pleasanton, which is far from San Francisco where all the cool stuff is

"Let's be fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In all fairness to the negative reviews Workday has been receiving, there are certainly good things about this company that many other companies lack. Snacks in the kitchen, very friendly and helpful Workmates, and a brilliant program for recent college graduates make up some of Workday's greatest strengths. It's definitely not a Google or Facebook in terms of these perks, but hey, it's better than what most companies would have.

Workday also has many clubs to help you connect with people that have common interests. For example, there's a group of Workmates that play board games every Wednesday night, and last I saw, some Workmates were gathering periodically after hours to play Super Smash Bros.

Cons

I do think many employees take their negative feedback to Glassdoor more recently is because some of these issues are true..negative feedback cannot be provided without retaliation from a manager, or more commonly, changes will either not occur or would not come as quickly as one would hope for.

I also understand the frustration of working day and night, trying to achieve results, only to be met with no change in compensation, while someone else on your team gets it because they happen to be on more "visible" projects. I also know it may be difficult to trust management, during my 1 on 1's with my old manager, he had serious integrity issues, where he would slam someone else on my team behind his back, and pretend to be all cool and friendly with him.

Unfortunately, as someone who was here for quite some time, I can say that the culture has definitely regressed, and that doesn't come as a surprise, since Workday believes in sacrificing profitability to keep hiring at such a rapid pace; with such rapid hiring it becomes difficult to nearly impossible to maintain the culture that Workday was once well known for.

I do agree that in the end, if you are not happy at Workday, it definitely is in your better interest to seek another company where you think you will be happy at.

Advice to Management

Please stick to your core value of valuing your employees

"Great culture with mediocre pay"

Pros

Great culture
    Work life balance
    Unlimited PTO
    Benefits

Cons

Pay is below average
    Parking (Pleasanton campus)

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great executive team.
    Good benefits with low employee cost for the benefits.
    Added 401k match as promised.
    Flexible work schedule, based on business needs.

Cons

Longer term employees (non-executives) are not shown respect for their knowledge, experience and contributions to the company as it grew.
    HR seems all about hiring new, young employees and not about helping current employees.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore your longer term, older employees. I understand the importance of hiring the best and brightest of new graduates, but experience, loyalty and dedication is important too.

Workday Response

Jun 21, 2016 – Workday Representative

It’s important we hear feedback such as yours, thank you. If you would like to talk further about your experiences, please reach out to employee.feedback@workday.com and we can have a confidential ... More