Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 22 reviews)

• Below market pay & the proprietary language are the two huge reasons we don't attract or retain top talent (in 24 reviews)

"Great potential but it depends on what team you are on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At a corporate level Workday does a great job of balancing the needs of its workers with the needs of its customers. The executive teams seems to truly value it’s people.

Cons

Unfortunately, this can’t be said for all of the groups within Workday. Explosive growth makes it difficult to ensure that everyone in the company is in line with the "Workday Way". This is especially true for the Financial Development Team. They have had a string of Vice Presidents that don’t live up to the companies core values. My advice to anyone looking to join Workday, go to another team.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people actually doing the job and try to promote managers that lead based on Workdays core values.

"Was a great company..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Market leader in its core business
    - Wonderful products. Customers love it !
    - Great team mates
    - Good work/life balance
    - Stock price at 105 ! - helps weather the pain !
    - Interesting work ( if you know the right people )
    - Great location ( new BART and 580/680 interchange )
    - Some managers genuinely care about their teams and stand up against upper management whims. Of course some get cut down and leave as they can't take it anymore, others just submit to the dictates meekly and survive even when they know it is the wrong thing

Cons

- Was a great company - pre IPO and couple of years after that
    - Culture is going down the drain with new management in Tools. Apps is still alright.
    - Apps have a different issue with proprietary technology.
    - Have to know how to suck up to upper management (read long-timers) to get ahead. Or else you are stuck or ignored.
    - Senior management is afraid to talk to executive management about issues as it might be taken in a wrong way. Just drink the kool-aid and all will be fine.
    - Yessir attitude gets you promoted ..pretty quick
    - So called Sr. Principal Engineers are there as they know they cant find a job elsewhere with their skillset and attitude. The smart ones have jumped ship.

Advice to Management

- CEO should wake up to see the reality in Engineering. Just because products are selling great doesn't mean all is well. There is a reason why most of the senior (smart) engineers are leaving. Bring back previous management.
    - HR can improve their act. We are market leaders in HCM space!
    - Customer Support department needs to be revamped. Half of the support analysts don't know what they are doing. They just shiver when the top manager is on every case (literally)
    - Certainly miss Dave's openness and frank conversations
    - Create a genuine feedback loop - not just namesake - and be ready to hear honest critical opinions. Employees are your friends !

"MHI Score is killing the culture"

Current Employee - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job stability, lenient work schedule, snacks and events

Cons

They've introduced something called "MHI Score" which is an arbitrary measure of productivity and success. Middle managers are sticking to it as a rule, making compromises to productivity in the process.

Example: MHI Score values number of commits per developer. Middle management is asking developers to find creative ways to increase this (which means more overhead for developers, slowing them down).

Advice to Management

Get rid of this ridiculous MHI system. Have 360 peer reviews to weed out bad developers and stop micromanaging based on an arbitrary score that you don't even understand yourselves!

"Workday"

Former Employee - Instructor in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing company; excellent senior management team that knows how to execute to plan.

Cons

Highly political workplace environment; career success depends on who you know and how well connected you are to company movers and shakers. Workday is not a meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Many mid-level managers and even some higher ups are where they are because they are friends or friends of friends of the people in charge -- not because they are skilled managers.

"Company Culture is changing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its all good until 2017.. Good Benefits, good package

Cons

Culture is slowly changing, as they are hiring more people from cisco, which they bring worst sort of culture with. Hiring people of less talent, just because they know them. Everyone has their own agenda to promote, rather than company growth.

Advice to Management

Hire the best, rather than hire/promote the people who you know from before.

"Sales"

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, people and culture

Cons

Sales territories and managers change every year, even-though a 9-18+ month sales cycle.
    Remote office culture can be very different than HQ.

Advice to Management

Constant change is increasing politics and the best performers are leaving.

"Best place to work? Not in sales."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Solid c-levels.

Cons

Way too much rolling out from corporate to field sales (admin, meetings, surveys, training, more meetings, marketing, and a few more meetings,). Sales needs to be in front of prospect more. Fire drills are going to happen, but EVERYTHING there is a fire drill, making it very difficult to plan/schedule selling activity. Highly touted culture may exist at corporate, but doesn't translate to field.

Advice to Management

Establish a steady cadence in the field so the days are more predictable.

8. "Good Place to Work"

Former Contractor - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Workday as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, warm, flexible, big company

Cons

Location, not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities to challenge themselves

"Great Company- Talent Acquisition morale at an all time low and no longer cohesive"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love Workday, I love the people and up to recently the values.
    Workday has a great company culture with an exciting and emerging product range. I truly believe our founders and CEO's David and Aneel believe in the company’s values as do most of great people I have had the pleasure of working with. While challenges naturally exist when you are partnering with business stakeholders I can say without hesitation that recruiters in Workday are respected and valued by business partners/hiring managers. This review is not something I could ever have imagined writing abut Workday.

Cons

Previous leadership team was not perfect; many of us were excited for the next stage TA and the new challenges ahead with new leadership. While not perfect I must say we had transparency and a clear road map of our goals. Morale was high and 90% of us were committed to delivering above and beyond for our hiring managers. The goals were challenging but we faced them as a team. Many of us faced long hours and we were extremely busy but we didn’t care because we had a united team and believed we were a key cog in creating one of the greatest companies on earth.

In contrast the last 8 months have seen a gradual decline in morale, team cohesiveness and job security. We no longer feel like we provide a valuable contribution to the growth of this awesome company and now feel like a cost to the business. Permanent team members feel their job security is diminished and that their contribution over the last few years has been forgotten; some vocally and others privately are actively looking for new roles. Contract employees who joined believing that if they contributed they could have an amazing future here now feel that their stay is temporary. New managers and old have been asked to promote and implement new goals in our “transformation” without any road map or idea of how it will happen in reality.

The toughest part of the current set up is that we are becoming less motivated, less willing to go the extra yard for the company and it is our partners and hiring managers who will be impacted. Unfortunately it is very easy to create “wins” and a perception of successes when the reality is we are suffering and it will impact how we deliver to our customers and promote Workday to our candidates in the medium and long term.

Advice to Management

Create SMART goals, provide guidance and training to TA leaders so they can be more confident, consistent and enable us to raise our standards

Treat all employees’ INCLUDING contract employees with dignity and appreciation. We are on the front line telling the Workday story, also the valley is a small community.

Workday Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We value your feedback and will absolutely keep it in mind. Providing our TA team with a rewarding career experience is a priority—at Workday, we put employees first—and we... More

"Good culture, Proprietary language is career limiting"

Former Intern - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Intern - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture! Foosball, NERF guns, pool and table tennis are everyday stuff here. A lot of return offers, and some really relaxed people and management. Intern program is pretty big, so it can seem a little disorganized from the Engineering Manager side of things.

Cons

Language they use is very limiting. I wouldn't recommend if you're going into senior year. I haven't had much trouble with internship seeking, but there is no way this is transferable to a full time role. Although Workday would be a good place to work after graduation. Also, Pleasanton isn't great.

Advice to Management

Be more open about Xpresso and it's limitations. Also, might just be my team but my projects were horribly mismanaged.