Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Senior Sourcing Specialist/Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product, customer satisfaction is key and hiring managers are the best!

Cons

HR department is in serious need of overhaul.

Advice to Management

Clean out management in Talent Acquisition and hire people who believe in Workday culture.

"Technical Writer"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offers an awesome learning environment to hone your technical skills. The salary is decent and comes with some equity. In addition, the office is within blocks of the Stoneridge Mall.

Cons

Despite all the positive aspects, I had a tremendously difficult time working with the management team. They set incredibly high expectations even for new-hires. I found myself working 70 to 80 hours a week, yet that wasn't enough.

Advice to Management

Take more time in aiding and assisting new-hires as they become accustomed to the Workday environment and culture.

"Becoming schizophrenic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product is really developing into a mature, enterprise and world-class suite of tools that are helping companies be better. Benefits are great and plentiful.

Cons

Culture is waning and becoming bureaucratic Politics and whims of senior management are causing morale to .drop. Too many senior managers looking to make their mark or have personal agendas that are eroding the culture that the company was founded on

Advice to Management

Refocus on what you created. Really (no really) listen to your employees especially the ones who've been through the thick an thin. Focus on Senior Management to actually lead by through collaboration and active listening of their teams - they don't have all the answers alone.

"Workday"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Workday (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are passionate. Everyone enjoys team work if you aren't in sales it's amazing . Average to above pay for the space.

Cons

Management lives in a bubble disconnected from the current state. The value prop went out the door when Dave pulled away. A true shame.

"Company is good, LDP/Ready team is not"

Current Employee - Deployment Analyst (LDP/Ready) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Deployment Analyst (LDP/Ready) in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is great and cares about experience workers are having. Fun, innovative culture. Company growth is steady.

Cons

Need to get on the right team. LDP/Workday Ready is a nightmare, steer clear. Other teams seem to have a great tech culture, flexibility etc.

Advice to Management

Maximize anonymous 360 feedback. Create better long term career paths and flexibility.

"Software Applications Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Follows Agile/scrum practices well and good collaborative/team atmosphere.

Cons

Technology is too difficult to learn quickly. A little chaotic and disorganized. Boot camp and other internal training needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

"Fast growing and challenging"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday was in a crazy growth phase. There were a lot of very smart people working very hard. I really enjoyed working with my peers.

Cons

With the rapid growth, the great workplace culture was lost. I was an early employee and rode the iPO ride. When I started it was a great place to work. By the time I left it was no longer the same. What a loss.

Advice to Management

Not much to say - the executive management team was great and I had tremendous respect for them.

"Let's be fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In all fairness to the negative reviews Workday has been receiving, there are certainly good things about this company that many other companies lack. Snacks in the kitchen, very friendly and helpful Workmates, and a brilliant program for recent college graduates make up some of Workday's greatest strengths. It's definitely not a Google or Facebook in terms of these perks, but hey, it's better than what most companies would have.

Workday also has many clubs to help you connect with people that have common interests. For example, there's a group of Workmates that play board games every Wednesday night, and last I saw, some Workmates were gathering periodically after hours to play Super Smash Bros.

Cons

I do think many employees take their negative feedback to Glassdoor more recently is because some of these issues are true..negative feedback cannot be provided without retaliation from a manager, or more commonly, changes will either not occur or would not come as quickly as one would hope for.

I also understand the frustration of working day and night, trying to achieve results, only to be met with no change in compensation, while someone else on your team gets it because they happen to be on more "visible" projects. I also know it may be difficult to trust management, during my 1 on 1's with my old manager, he had serious integrity issues, where he would slam someone else on my team behind his back, and pretend to be all cool and friendly with him.

Unfortunately, as someone who was here for quite some time, I can say that the culture has definitely regressed, and that doesn't come as a surprise, since Workday believes in sacrificing profitability to keep hiring at such a rapid pace; with such rapid hiring it becomes difficult to nearly impossible to maintain the culture that Workday was once well known for.

I do agree that in the end, if you are not happy at Workday, it definitely is in your better interest to seek another company where you think you will be happy at.

Advice to Management

Please stick to your core value of valuing your employees

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great executive team.
    Good benefits with low employee cost for the benefits.
    Added 401k match as promised.
    Flexible work schedule, based on business needs.

Cons

Longer term employees (non-executives) are not shown respect for their knowledge, experience and contributions to the company as it grew.
    HR seems all about hiring new, young employees and not about helping current employees.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore your longer term, older employees. I understand the importance of hiring the best and brightest of new graduates, but experience, loyalty and dedication is important too.

Workday Response

Jun 21, 2016 – Workday Representative

It’s important we hear feedback such as yours, thank you. If you would like to talk further about your experiences, please reach out to employee.feedback@workday.com and we can have a confidential ... More

"Sr. Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great events, people generally have a focus on values. Engineering team is putting it some great product. Growing at a very quick pace.

Cons

Mid level managers have lost touch with CEO vision. Growth is a double edged sword as the team responsible for employee climate are very small minded in what a corporate environment should look like.

Advice to Management

HR group is definitely lacking in evaluating top talent. Perform due diligence before you allow Sr. Managers to exit.