Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

1. "Internal Tools Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Workday as an intern

Pros

- Great company culture, very laid back and fun
    - You learn A LOT. Didn't know too many technologies or tech frameworks outside of what they teach you in school, but Workday definitely changed that
    - Great intern program
    - Free housing

Cons

- Sometimes can seem too laid back, like there's a lack in drive/motivation from the people that work there

"Employees are a Core Value and they mean it!"

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been impressed with how Workday leaders and employees live and breath the core values. Very customer focused!! We are growing at a high rate and growing pains are natural. Everyone seems to acknowledge them and focused on getting the company to the right place. Strong sense of "team" and wanting everyone to be successful.

Cons

As long as we stay focused on our scale we should continue to be fantastic!

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Management cares about its workers and is flexible.

Cons

The processes and work feel outdated.

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A major player in the HCM world, and coming in strong to the financials world keeps you at the forefront of the industry.

Also, Workday really does care about its people. The salaries are good, great benefits (healthcare, PTO, stocks, etc.) and they have many perks - like discount services in the area, and their snack program.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done with the politicking. Workday seems to be so concerned with hurting someone's feelings / admitting mistakes in hiring that the bad apples tend to stick around for years. You just have to keep working around them, and in many cases cleaning up their messes to get your job done.

Advice to Management

The hiring practices need help: too many times I've seen people come in who presented well / had flashy resumes only to get into the trenches with them to find out that they know almost nothing about how to do the job they were hired for - even after EXTENSIVE training / assistance. Frankly, it would appear that many have misrepresented their achievements at other companies so they would get the Workday job. As the hiring decision is often made by the department managers who have head count open it would benefit all concerned if they got a crash course on how to read / evaluate job candidates better as the interview guidelines you send out don't seem to be cutting it.

Also, with regards to the perks: snacks and multiple yearly events are nice, but I would prefer to see the employee programs budget reimagined so it contributes a bit more to quality of life rather than just entertainment. Such as Ott lighting or better natural lighting in the offices (those fluorescents make working in the office very tiring), better seating (our desks keep getting smaller and smaller with each floor plan shuffle), or shuttles from the high populated Workday employee cities - San Jose, Concord,/Walnut Creek, etc. Yes, these are all big expenses, but I'd gladly trade the gifted Coke, Cheese Nips, Halloween Party, etc. for more me-time to read or listen to music to and from work each day.

"One of the Best Places I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been w the company almost 3 years. Senior management is great. They talk the talk and walk the walk when it comes to the company's core values. I feel empowered at Workday. They reward hard work. Plus the FUN culture is icing on the cake.

Cons

The learning curve as a new employee can be challenging. Overall pace of change can be staggering. New product releases every 6 months. As a consultant, you have to meet utilization and work on training which means training is usually done after hours and weekends.

Advice to Management

More focus on diversity at all levels of management.

"Great Internship"

Current Intern - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Intern - App Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people all around.

Cons

Proprietary technology that won't carry over

Advice to Management

They're too far in to ditch the tech, but the culture makes up for it.

"Amazing company and growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Fantastic Culture ,Customer Focussed Leadership is approachable, Technology is niche and time to market for new applications / features is fast. Teams really look out for each other and are challenging the status quo daily. Management is approachable and is open to suggestions from everyone.

Cons

At times it's hard to maintain the culture at the speed at which the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Keep the same level of transparency, vision across the entire organization

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a fun and challenging place to work. Everyone there is top talent; Workday does not waste its time with mediocrity. Expect to have a lot expected of you and to be surrounded by people who strive to better themselves and learn something new every day. Also, the work/life balance and flexibility is as good as it gets. Work from home whenever you need to, as long as you get your job done.

Cons

Workday is still a fairly new company and is still growing and learning. I think they need to focus on their benefits offering at their regional offices. Headquarters may have free parking, but in Boston it's pretty standard for a company of Workday's size to offer a commuter subsidy. However, only the pre-tax deduction is offered. The 401k match just started in 2016, which is great. But, I hope it grows to be more than the cap of a $3k match. Also, the company has an unlimited PTO policy, which is great for anyone who is NOT in the professional services part of the organization. In professional services, there are billable hours targets that must be met to receive your bonus, and they only give you a 3 week PTO "credit" (i.e. any PTO time or other non-billable time, including the mandatory training and meetings, over 3 weeks has to be made up to achieve your target).

Advice to Management

I would suggest that HR from headquarters in Pleasanton, CA participate in local HR networking and benchmarking groups to get a better sense of what types of benefits and other programs employers in the various regions are offering. I would also suggest they recognize their professional services employees both on billable hours AND how they do their work. As a company they focus heavily on customer satisfaction. However, professional services is only rewarded for how many hours they charge their customers.

"Quality Assurance Engineer"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture and the people

Cons

I still have not found a con to this company

"Culture is Great, Technology Not So Much"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday prides itself on its culture, and I actually feel that is a bit of an undersell relative to my experience here. This is honestly a great place to work. The company and the people genuinely care about you. Management gives you all the tools you need to succeed, and they are generally very open about encouraging PTO (it's unlimited) to make sure nobody is overworked.

Cons

There's really no two ways around this, but the proprietary "language" XpressO is not going to do anyone with further career aspirations any good. There are little to no transferable skills, and in general, it is just frustrating to use. Even the more "traditional" software engineering roles are hamstrung by the fact that the company revolves about XpressO. This creates an environment where people are either frustrated in their current positions or have been resigned to being stuck in those positions -- either is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Workday culture is top-notch, but something has to be done about the technology stack or else we are going to bleed top talent.