Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

"Best Place to Work in the Bay Area"

Current Employee - Communications in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Communications in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Dedicated to core values
    Respect from colleagues and management across the board
    Enjoyable vibe
    Exciting time for change in industry
    Innovative technology

Cons

Any workday can be a high pressure one.

Advice to Management

Stay true to core values and customers.

"Workday is the best place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

There is a lot of room for career advancement and development
    Very strong leadership
    Recognition/Reward based on performance
    Surrounded by talented people
    A fun place to work with pool tournaments, wine tasting, and Friday get-togethers
    Innovative, leading edge technology
    Forward thinking company

Cons

While Workday can be "clique-y" if you're not an ex-PeopleSofter you can still get ahead in the company. I never worked at PeopleSoft, but have worked smart & hard at Workday and have been rewarded with promotions and the training I need to help make my career successful. They are investing and "taking a chance on me" and I am putting in all my effort to make it pay off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum! Workday will be enormously successful.

"Great Start-up company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Communication is free and open between different teams, which is comparable to the rest of the software industry. It's a very tight knit company despite its growing size. Has free bagels and coffee every morning. flexible work time.

Cons

Pay is relatively average.
    It's hard to advance within the company.
    Company location is not in the city.
    Innovation is treated with care, but it's necessary because it's offered as a service

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job, you have developed a sustainable company culture, as you establish workday as a reputable company, i think it's necessary to recruit more young people

"It's a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I have worked at a few startups and a few large companies. This company ranks very high on my list of “the best places to work”. The Workday employees are, hands down, some of the smartest people in tech industry. The bonus is that they are also incredibly nice and foster a supportive work environment.

Workday has done a phenomenal job at maintaining a great company culture even with rapid employee growth. They have also done a fantastic job with hiring a diverse technical skill-set from top internet, consumer and enterprise companies.

I’ve worked here for a couple of years and I can say with certainty, that the leadership is spectacular. I have watched them navigate a very tough economy with clear direction, clear communication and with the type of flexibility that is necessary to manage a young company in uncertain economic times.

Cons

No major cons. If you look for problems, you’ll find them, no matter where you work. As with any successful high growth company, we work hard, solve complex problems and walk away feeling like we have accomplished something great. Workday is definitely a place for those who are builders and have personal drive.

6. "Workday is everything I've wanted in a company and in a job"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

The people I work with are passionate and committed to seeing each other succeed and to seeing the company succeed. The technology is cutting edge and disrupting the enterprise technology landscape and literally changing the game. The leadership, from the executive level down to the line level, are 2nd to none. And Dave D., what can I say, the man knows what he's doing. Our future is bright and I look forward to our continued success as we grow and capture market share.

Cons

Be ready to work....yes, it's true, there is a lot of work to be done. Is this a con? For me, no, but for some, yes.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Work hard, play hard."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Fast pace, smart people - we're changing the game of enterprise software.

Cons

Long work hours sometimes, understaffed for the amount of work that has to be done.

"Great people , great company, great leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday is a company full of smart and dedicated people that work their butts off. I love coming to work and being around professionals that are willing to help each other and listen to each other.

Cons

Seems like the company has started inserting many levels of management and not sure what they all do

Advice to Management

Grow existing talent

9. "It's challenging and fun"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources, great people, great culture, and free bagels! There are lots of things to do with Workday, both at and outside of work. We have fun, and we produce. That's the way it should be.

Cons

There really aren't any cons. This place is fun and challenging to work at.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, management.

10. "Great company for new college grads"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and senior employees take a genuine interest in your success and future, as well as your current job satisfaction. Company culture is unparalleled. Free bagels every day, plus fruit twice/week. The people at Workday are laid back, genuine people, who are ambitious and driven to see the company succeed. We are led by Dave Duffield, whose down-to-earth nature and core values resonate throughout the company.

Cons

So much fast-paced growth creates a lot of shifts within the organization. Particularly within my department, there are shifts on a quarterly basis. Some people respond well to these shifts and others would prefer more continuity.
    Also, no employer match for the 401k (at this time)

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the great company culture as we grow.