Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

"The good and the bad of Workday"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A lot of great people. This is the main reason I'm here. I keep learning something new every day. Not just professionally. There are a lot of people giving just useful advises, role-model worthy or just having good sense of humor.
    - Culture. Workday is a mixed bag. Some of it culture looks fake. But, you know, I've been here long enough and have gone through some highs and lows and at the end of the day it was always someone who would step in and make sure the things are done the right way. It was not always easy, a couple times I was on the edge of leaving the company due to all that frustration other reviewers mentioned. I don't know if I just had more luck than others, but in my case the good part of the Workday culture always prevailed.
    - Nice offices
    - Free snacks
    - Reasonable hours
    - Opportunities to travel and work abroad
    - Diversity. Yes, I read some complaints, but compa
    - Glassdoor policy. I am impressed how management reads all these reviews, acknowledges them, not trying to discourage people from writing them and not trying to go after those who write the negative ones. It takes some balls to handle it that way.

Cons

- Career dead ends. Workday uses a lot of highly proprietary technologies. If you're an Xpresso developer, you maybe able to find a job outside of Workday, but it's going to be a step down. And there are more examples like that.
    - Infantilism and paternalism. Workday culture mimics a family. There seniors make the decisions and take responsibility, the juniors don't get to decide, but are not being held accountable either. Some people actually like it that way. But it creates a lot of tension too. Obviously, the juniors question the seniors and want to grow up. And Workday culture is built to protect its values. The company is refusing to let employees review the seniors. There is no process to question your manager's decision without a risk of backfire. As many reviewers noticed, there are two classes of people at Workday, there are those inner and outer circles and no clear way to move between them. And after some time most people will run into that wall.
    - Technology. When Workday product came out, it was light years ahead of its time. It still is. But then progress pace has gone down. Workday is taking on countless new technologies, but most of them never become revenue generators and we still live off the old cash cows. There are many reasons for that, I don't want to go there. But it's just frustrating to see how new efforts keep going fruitless at Workday.

Advice to Management

You do a lot of things great. What is missing is more feedback, metrics, accountability. You can't manage what you can't count.

3. "Infrastructure Engineer"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best place to work.

Cons

I don't see yet and may not.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Senior Sourcing Specialist/Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product, customer satisfaction is key and hiring managers are the best!

Cons

HR department is in serious need of overhaul.

Advice to Management

Clean out management in Talent Acquisition and hire people who believe in Workday culture.

"Travel Tool is horrible"

Pros

Workday as a company as several great amenities to it, but wouldn't say they are amazing. We market the average to be more than that.

Cons

This review is about the travel tool, because depending what role you're trying to get, this impacts you. Long story short, It sucks. Really, how could you roll something like that out to 7500+ employees. It's not cheaper than going straight to airline websites and recently I've experienced I can't even rack up hotel points on certain reservations through the tool because of the website the tool is pulling from. For example, members can earn person account points when booking through the workday travel tool and the tool pulls their rate/reservation through Expedia. How is that my fault as an employee?? Further more, certain teams at Workday force you to use the corporate card because it ultimately gives Workday cash back.

So let me get this straight...I have to book through the travel tool (corporate policy) can't earn any points at my hotel, and then can't earn any credit card points because Workday needs the points back? Really takes out Employees come first to heart huh. This company is still as cheap as the pre ipo days...it's sad

Advice to Management

We make money, spend it where it counts. Employees make this company work.

7. "Workday is leading the SaaS market"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture with lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

Can be slightly below average when comparing compensation of other Bay Area tech companies

"Career Killer for Application Development"

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Generally great and friendly people
    - Company cares about the happiness of employees

Cons

-Xpresso is the death of a career. Some internal initiatives are evidence to how unsuccessful Xpresso is and efforts to "revitalize" the language. Application developers hate it and other engineers openly mock the language that developers have to use.
    - Underpaid. Even after "market adjustments," application developers are underpaid compared to the industry standard. If you're going to make developers learn a new language and trap them to a poorly built construct, at least compensate them appropriately in return.
    - There's no concept of exploring new technologies as an application developer. Sure you can learn new technologies within Workday, but again they're all Workday specific that are not transferrable in any way. Workday only makes developers better for Workday, not in general.

Advice to Management

Think about the line developers. Let us use and explore technologies that actually make us excited to built the product. Many of us love the product but the vehicle by which we build it is so horrid that it ruins the experience of doing what we love most -- coding.

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Culture is Great, Technology Not So Much"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday prides itself on its culture, and I actually feel that is a bit of an undersell relative to my experience here. This is honestly a great place to work. The company and the people genuinely care about you. Management gives you all the tools you need to succeed, and they are generally very open about encouraging PTO (it's unlimited) to make sure nobody is overworked.

Cons

There's really no two ways around this, but the proprietary "language" XpressO is not going to do anyone with further career aspirations any good. There are little to no transferable skills, and in general, it is just frustrating to use. Even the more "traditional" software engineering roles are hamstrung by the fact that the company revolves about XpressO. This creates an environment where people are either frustrated in their current positions or have been resigned to being stuck in those positions -- either is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Workday culture is top-notch, but something has to be done about the technology stack or else we are going to bleed top talent.

"engi"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible hours, stocks

Cons

technology, technology, technology, technology, technology