Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Workday Rising"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. They practice what they preach. While the company is growing fast and many changes have been taking place over the past year, the TA Management has done everything within their power to keep the team(s) motivated and functioning at a high level.

Cons

The only issue is the many changes have been causing some growing pains ... but the fact is that when you grow this fast, change is inevitable. If you plan on being here long term, these changes should be seen as positive signs for the future.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in this very fluid environment.

"Change and transformation is good for all of us"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at the company for a few months now. I have to say I am impressed of how committed the leadership and management are to changing, transforming and reinventing how we do things to strengthen our position and growth. Some key things I notice at Workday are:
    1. Genuine people. People "care" about each other and are respectful
    2. Leadership is really trying to understand what change should look like and how & what we do should positively impact our customers' experience, the bottom line and employee needs
    3. Constantly reinventing how we invent and innovate
    4. Really big environment, without decades of history

Cons

As mentioned, this isn't a perfect company, and there is always room for improvement:
    1. If the leadership of the company can make hard decisions more quickly. I think people want to know where they stand and what it takes to succeed. If it's negative feedback, then be candid
    2. The company has grown really fast, and in some ways, functions layer over functions, so there is starting to be a level of complexity that we need to work at untangling and simplifying

Advice to Management

Stay the course. However, encourage more direct conversations, harder decisions need to be made and set the expectation that the next phase of growth requires a lot of transformation and change.

"Amazing company and growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Fantastic Culture ,Customer Focussed Leadership is approachable, Technology is niche and time to market for new applications / features is fast. Teams really look out for each other and are challenging the status quo daily. Management is approachable and is open to suggestions from everyone.

Cons

At times it's hard to maintain the culture at the speed at which the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Keep the same level of transparency, vision across the entire organization

"Cultural Facade..not the cultural gem portrayed in media."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hr technology in cloud that shifted what
    expectations should be for enterprise software. Great snacks and cool offices. People in the field try so hard. Lots of good people in lower ranks of organization.

Cons

Culture is not real and means very little at the top of the organization. Egos and fear rule and people are afraid to speak up for fear of losing job/ stock. The stock incentive has caused bad behavior which has resulted in a cut throats culture. People fend for themselves at the cost and detriment of others. If you are not employee 1-500 you do not matter. At the cultural improvement events the stories all tied back to employees from the beginning...that in itself tells a bigger story.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are in trenches doing the hard work to make the company profitable. Making decisions on emotion and whim takes so much toll on the organizations morale and core being.

"Office Bullying by Mid-Tier Leaders, incompetent workers forming cliques to secure power"

Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Snacks, nice office, ping pong table

Cons

Coming to Workday was a dream come true for me. I took a pay cut to enter into this seemingly culture and employee focused company. The truth is, my dreams quickly became a nightmare once I joined. Management in Services is highly unsupportive of career growth, they are doing massive layoffs masked in different phases, mid-tier management "leaders" are malicious towards their employees. There is a lot of office bullying, public shaming, favoritism and leaders try to form cliques to secure their power. They do not care about their employees, and the work environment is highly hostile. I come into work everyday dreading and hoping that I will one day get out of this black hole. Life keeps getting worse as more malicious leaders gain power in the company. At this point, I, as well as many other co-workers are suffering and have a gloomy outlook on our future here. Many have left, and many are getting laid off. No one knows about their tomorrow.

Advice to Management

I hope management will somehow turn this around because this is the worst work environment I have ever gotten myself into.

"Great workmates make for a great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talent in the company
    People share what they know
    Consistently looking out for others - both inside the company and outside

Cons

Can't think of any to mention

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our culture. It's truly making a difference.

"Feeling Neglected"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, Worklife Balance, Core Values, Benefits, Executive Leadership Team

Cons

Managers do not have enough time for their employees. They are spread too thin. Often missing 1:1s or cutting them short. The only time I can get a hold of my manager is during our 1:1s and sometimes not even then.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing team sizes to eliminate the occurrence of managers not having enough time for their employees.

"I would only work in sales at Workday if you have a manager you trust."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong CEO, focused product team, disruptive product in HCM, opportunity to make good money, good health benefits, paid gym membership for remote employees

Cons

Sales leadership was constantly changing. Three different VP's in 11 months. I would only work here if your direct manager is someone you trust and will give you the time it takes to get your deals off the ground. On average it takes 1.5-2 yrs to close a deal. There are way too many AE's covering to few accounts. All the low hanging fruit is covered and it still takes a very long time to close those deals. As much as they talk about Workday core values they do not apply to sales. AE's are way to competitive with each other because they are desperate to close a deal. Not very collaborative. Managers work on deals independently of their AE's. Seems crazy. I don't understand why they don't assign them to an AE and focus on managing, leading and supporting their team.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with AE's about the sales cycle and process. If you believe you are hiring people that are great cultural fits for Workday make sure their managers are there to support them.

"The good and the bad of Workday"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A lot of great people. This is the main reason I'm here. I keep learning something new every day. Not just professionally. There are a lot of people giving just useful advises, role-model worthy or just having good sense of humor.
    - Culture. Workday is a mixed bag. Some of it culture looks fake. But, you know, I've been here long enough and have gone through some highs and lows and at the end of the day it was always someone who would step in and make sure the things are done the right way. It was not always easy, a couple times I was on the edge of leaving the company due to all that frustration other reviewers mentioned. I don't know if I just had more luck than others, but in my case the good part of the Workday culture always prevailed.
    - Nice offices
    - Free snacks
    - Reasonable hours
    - Opportunities to travel and work abroad
    - Diversity. Yes, I read some complaints, but compa
    - Glassdoor policy. I am impressed how management reads all these reviews, acknowledges them, not trying to discourage people from writing them and not trying to go after those who write the negative ones. It takes some balls to handle it that way.

Cons

- Career dead ends. Workday uses a lot of highly proprietary technologies. If you're an Xpresso developer, you maybe able to find a job outside of Workday, but it's going to be a step down. And there are more examples like that.
    - Infantilism and paternalism. Workday culture mimics a family. There seniors make the decisions and take responsibility, the juniors don't get to decide, but are not being held accountable either. Some people actually like it that way. But it creates a lot of tension too. Obviously, the juniors question the seniors and want to grow up. And Workday culture is built to protect its values. The company is refusing to let employees review the seniors. There is no process to question your manager's decision without a risk of backfire. As many reviewers noticed, there are two classes of people at Workday, there are those inner and outer circles and no clear way to move between them. And after some time most people will run into that wall.
    - Technology. When Workday product came out, it was light years ahead of its time. It still is. But then progress pace has gone down. Workday is taking on countless new technologies, but most of them never become revenue generators and we still live off the old cash cows. There are many reasons for that, I don't want to go there. But it's just frustrating to see how new efforts keep going fruitless at Workday.

Advice to Management

You do a lot of things great. What is missing is more feedback, metrics, accountability. You can't manage what you can't count.

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.