Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

"Great company ! Great Products"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic solutions
    Great people
    Good money to ean

Cons

High preasure on sales
    Strange management behaviour in Germany

Advice to Management

Be honest and talk with your employees.

"Quality Assurance Engineer"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture and the people

Cons

I still have not found a con to this company

"Culture is Great, Technology Not So Much"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday prides itself on its culture, and I actually feel that is a bit of an undersell relative to my experience here. This is honestly a great place to work. The company and the people genuinely care about you. Management gives you all the tools you need to succeed, and they are generally very open about encouraging PTO (it's unlimited) to make sure nobody is overworked.

Cons

There's really no two ways around this, but the proprietary "language" XpressO is not going to do anyone with further career aspirations any good. There are little to no transferable skills, and in general, it is just frustrating to use. Even the more "traditional" software engineering roles are hamstrung by the fact that the company revolves about XpressO. This creates an environment where people are either frustrated in their current positions or have been resigned to being stuck in those positions -- either is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Workday culture is top-notch, but something has to be done about the technology stack or else we are going to bleed top talent.

"engi"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible hours, stocks

Cons

technology, technology, technology, technology, technology

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a fun and challenging place to work. Everyone there is top talent; Workday does not waste its time with mediocrity. Expect to have a lot expected of you and to be surrounded by people who strive to better themselves and learn something new every day. Also, the work/life balance and flexibility is as good as it gets. Work from home whenever you need to, as long as you get your job done.

Cons

Workday is still a fairly new company and is still growing and learning. I think they need to focus on their benefits offering at their regional offices. Headquarters may have free parking, but in Boston it's pretty standard for a company of Workday's size to offer a commuter subsidy. However, only the pre-tax deduction is offered. The 401k match just started in 2016, which is great. But, I hope it grows to be more than the cap of a $3k match. Also, the company has an unlimited PTO policy, which is great for anyone who is NOT in the professional services part of the organization. In professional services, there are billable hours targets that must be met to receive your bonus, and they only give you a 3 week PTO "credit" (i.e. any PTO time or other non-billable time, including the mandatory training and meetings, over 3 weeks has to be made up to achieve your target).

Advice to Management

I would suggest that HR from headquarters in Pleasanton, CA participate in local HR networking and benchmarking groups to get a better sense of what types of benefits and other programs employers in the various regions are offering. I would also suggest they recognize their professional services employees both on billable hours AND how they do their work. As a company they focus heavily on customer satisfaction. However, professional services is only rewarded for how many hours they charge their customers.

6. "Great place to intern at"

Former Intern - Associate Applications Developer Intern
    Former Intern - Associate Applications Developer Intern

I worked at Workday as an intern

Pros

work on actual production code

Cons

Perhaps add more intern events

7. "Great Company, Great Product"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture at Workday makes it a great company to work for. As the company grows there are lots of opportunities to move teams and geographies depending on what you want to do.

Cons

The workload could be considered to be unmanageable at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team members more

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Enablement EMEA in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Former Employee - Sales Enablement EMEA in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding products, high integrity, people centred, family friendly, employer awards are justified, massive investment in product development, founders set strong cultural example which filters down through the organisation, great focus on user experience, employee experience and quality

Cons

Sometimes overly consensus driven, like any fast growing company some things can seem chaotic or under resourced, culture can be risk averse

"Investing in the future - a great place to work today"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing level of career investment provided to employees - you have to take advantage of what is offered, but even required training is solid. Not that it's perfect, but a big focus on solving problems and not attacking people internally - this will be the challenge as the company continues to grow. Big focus remains on the core values that got Workday over $1B, and as much as there is room for improvement, I've seen senior managers working to live out those values in their groups.

Cons

Not a 1000 person company any more - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but corporate communications could probably use some work so that things don't feel so Pleasanton-focused. Definitely feeling the challenges of battling bureaucracy and that has to be followed through with in order to keep both internal morale and customer satisfaction in the right place.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise on the core Workday values and make sure you keep your ears and eyes open as we grow.

"Good place to work"

Pros

Nice people and nice pace

Cons

Not much to say here