Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Amazing company and growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Fantastic Culture ,Customer Focussed Leadership is approachable, Technology is niche and time to market for new applications / features is fast. Teams really look out for each other and are challenging the status quo daily. Management is approachable and is open to suggestions from everyone.

Cons

At times it's hard to maintain the culture at the speed at which the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Keep the same level of transparency, vision across the entire organization

"Feeling Neglected"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, Worklife Balance, Core Values, Benefits, Executive Leadership Team

Cons

Managers do not have enough time for their employees. They are spread too thin. Often missing 1:1s or cutting them short. The only time I can get a hold of my manager is during our 1:1s and sometimes not even then.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing team sizes to eliminate the occurrence of managers not having enough time for their employees.

"Great workmates make for a great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talent in the company
    People share what they know
    Consistently looking out for others - both inside the company and outside

Cons

Can't think of any to mention

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our culture. It's truly making a difference.

"Little New SAP - STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday's technology foundation is good. There are some really talented employees, but they are often overlooked and treated poorly.

Cons

If you want to flat line your career, come to Workday. If you are good at playing corporate politics, this is the place for you. If you supplement your lack of performance with severe brown nosing, come to Workday. If you like making the same below market salary every year, come to Workday. If you think outside of the box to challenge the status quo you will not succeed here. Entrenched middle and upper management will become scared of your initiative and start undermining your efforts to protect their own jobs. The culture is a facade. It's becoming customary for people to make up stories about their co-workers and report them to HR as a way to carry out immature childish games. Good people are treated poorly and are now leaving in droves. So many good people are leaving that you could make a start-up of top tier talent if you waited outside Workday's front door. The incoming new hires all come from SAP and are bringing their terrible culture with them. Abusive management is commonplace and quality leadership is in short supply. Best advice I can give is if you come here keep your mouth shut and don't try to make a positive difference. DO NOT stand up for what is right because it will only make you a target.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at our core values and start treating people with integrity. I'd take better leadership from people who legitimately care about their employees rather than more snack food. It's not that hard.

"I would only work in sales at Workday if you have a manager you trust."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong CEO, focused product team, disruptive product in HCM, opportunity to make good money, good health benefits, paid gym membership for remote employees

Cons

Sales leadership was constantly changing. Three different VP's in 11 months. I would only work here if your direct manager is someone you trust and will give you the time it takes to get your deals off the ground. On average it takes 1.5-2 yrs to close a deal. There are way too many AE's covering to few accounts. All the low hanging fruit is covered and it still takes a very long time to close those deals. As much as they talk about Workday core values they do not apply to sales. AE's are way to competitive with each other because they are desperate to close a deal. Not very collaborative. Managers work on deals independently of their AE's. Seems crazy. I don't understand why they don't assign them to an AE and focus on managing, leading and supporting their team.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with AE's about the sales cycle and process. If you believe you are hiring people that are great cultural fits for Workday make sure their managers are there to support them.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a fun and challenging place to work. Everyone there is top talent; Workday does not waste its time with mediocrity. Expect to have a lot expected of you and to be surrounded by people who strive to better themselves and learn something new every day. Also, the work/life balance and flexibility is as good as it gets. Work from home whenever you need to, as long as you get your job done.

Cons

Workday is still a fairly new company and is still growing and learning. I think they need to focus on their benefits offering at their regional offices. Headquarters may have free parking, but in Boston it's pretty standard for a company of Workday's size to offer a commuter subsidy. However, only the pre-tax deduction is offered. The 401k match just started in 2016, which is great. But, I hope it grows to be more than the cap of a $3k match. Also, the company has an unlimited PTO policy, which is great for anyone who is NOT in the professional services part of the organization. In professional services, there are billable hours targets that must be met to receive your bonus, and they only give you a 3 week PTO "credit" (i.e. any PTO time or other non-billable time, including the mandatory training and meetings, over 3 weeks has to be made up to achieve your target).

Advice to Management

I would suggest that HR from headquarters in Pleasanton, CA participate in local HR networking and benchmarking groups to get a better sense of what types of benefits and other programs employers in the various regions are offering. I would also suggest they recognize their professional services employees both on billable hours AND how they do their work. As a company they focus heavily on customer satisfaction. However, professional services is only rewarded for how many hours they charge their customers.

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great company, dysfunctional Talent Acquisition team."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company is a good one. Our product offerings are best in our space, and the overall temperament of the company culture is above average. I also truly believe that our CEO's, Aneel and Dave, genuinely believe in our core values. This review is solely based on the current Talent Acquisition team/leadership.

Cons

Previous leadership in Talent Acquisition, while it may not have been perfect, was unifying, empowering and positive. The team felt driven and supported. It was indeed a "great place to work." There was transparency in the communications out to the team, and consistency in their message, mission and the treating employees with fairness and integrity. There has been many changes within the last 6+ months, and the general consensus is that our current leads/leadership is impersonal, calculating and cold. There are managers who would be prefer to not have to manage people but who are forced to in order to move up the ranks, and there are managers who should not have been promoted to a lead role because of a lack of experience. Along with that, there is a reorg going on in the group, and lots of movement. Both contract employees and full time are being treated as if they are quite disposable and feeling very unappreciated and unnerved. Morale is at an all time low and the overall vibe is quite toxic. Even people who act as if they are content have their eye on the market. A lot of us that have been here awhile feel if it wasn't broke, why try to fix it? Talent Acquisition and HR seem to have lost our bearing and we need to get back to our core values of integrity, collaboration, putting our customers/candidates and our employees first.

Advice to Management

I would say more guidance and training to TA leadership on how to be more consistent, fair, positive and communicative. Treat all employees, regardless if they are contract or perm, with more humanity and appreciation. It's a small world and an even smaller valley, and recruiters tend to have very large
     networks and talk to a lot of people every day.

"Taking the work out of workday"

Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture that makes it a continuously fun and challenging place to work. The flexibility and autonomy that are given to employees is unmatched. Last, but definitely not least, the product and innovation keep everyone driving hard day in and day out.

Cons

Keeping a heartbeat on company happenings can be difficult if you're not in California.

"Sales/Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HCM Solution and customers are very happy.

Cons

Workday is not a good place to work if you carry a quota. Only about 15% of the sales people make their number and the other 85% are literally starving. Territories are so tight and the quotas are so high. There is a lot of finger pointing and political games. Workday is a mini Oracle.

Also, it looks like the companies long term outlook is based on the success of their financial solution. It is a pretty good play for mid market companies that don't have complex accounting needs, but it won't ever scale to the enterprise and is only a fit for a few verticals.

Advice to Management

Practice collegiality and integrity. RSMs and RVPs are terrible.