Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"Workday has lost sight of what they claim to be all about."

Current Employee - Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The employee perks are very nice.
    * The compensation is competitive.
    * Work / life balance is good.

Cons

Here is what Workday supposedly stands for according to their website:

"Our core values give us a framework for leadership and daily decisions, and help us enjoy our time at work."

"Most fundamentally, people are the core of our business. Without them, we would not have a business. We hire the best and expect great accomplishments."

"Every investment and decision we make has our customers in mind, and we pull out all stops to make the satisfaction of our customers paramount."

"We say what we mean, and mean what we say. We stick to our commitments, treat everyone equitably, and communicate openly and honestly."

Unfortunately, absolutely none of this is true.

For one thing, there are way too many managers and they only seem to care about what they are told to do (from other managers). They don't take advice nor do they listen to the people that make the company go. The company has lost sight of what's important. It's only a matter of time before the internal failures start to break down causing degradation of customer satisfaction. This in turn will be what causes Workday's eventual demise.

If you want to go to a place where your opinion doesn't matter.
    If you want to be at a place where you work your tail off without any recognition.
    If you are a YES SIR and YES MAM person.
    If you want to go to a place where the internal workings change from day to day and nobody seems to know what's right or wrong from day to day.
    If you enjoy finger pointing and blame.
    If you want to work under the bad management.
    If you enjoy being called out for mistakes and not being recognized for the things you do right.

Then Workday IS the place for you!

But if you want great leadership, people who listen and respect you and believe in team work, I'd recommend going somewhere else where they will actually appreciate you.

Advice to Management

* Stop coming up with bad ideas and implementing them without discussing first with the teams it affects. Your ideas can be bad and before you realize it, the ideas are implemented in 20 teams before you have to change it all again. This causes confusion and concern with leadership.

* Stop hiring bad managers, but if you do, get the managers some training on basic people leadership skills.

* Give the people some say and then listen to them (or at least pretend to).

* Upper management should meet with the employees to get personal feedback.

* Get all the teams on the same page. Every team seems to be doing things differently.

* If your employee is having issues with certain skills or management, get the person help instead of just throwing them under the bus. And by all means, don't render them useless. Take some responsibility for failure.

* Allow the teams to interview new hires and managers since they will be the ones working with the new hires. Interestingly enough, my interview involved six managers and not one single peer.

I was told in my interview (by a higher up) that "Morons hire morons". That says a lot about where Workday is heading. I advise you pass until they get the leadership fixed.

"Awful, terrible place for engineers"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Snacks are good, lots of soda.

Cons

If you are an engineer, I would recommend not working here. No matter how they try to paint it, XO is a career killer. Other companies are wising up to the fact that propriety technology and re-inventing the wheels does not make for good engineering.

Salaries are waaaaay too low to be learning such a useless skill.

Advice to Management

Saying we have core values isn't the same thing as having core values. You are hurting careers.

"Filled with Dell, Oracle, Peoplesoft, EMC, etc rejects and senior citizens - STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free salty snacks and drinks, bagel every morning
    - Discounts via Passport, stay healthy perks, okay benefits, work from home
    - In the East Bay by BART station
    - Family friendly
    - Dog friendly

Cons

- A ton of politics all over the place
    - Unmotivated employees constantly leaving the company
    - Very old employees all over the place. This place looks like a senior citizen center. Workday takes in anyone from the garbage pool of tech employees and tries to recycle them with its "core values"
    - Outdated tech, bare metal datacenters, private cloud on OpenStack, VMware that no one really cares for anymore.
    - Management is hyper old school, filled with the old PeopleSoft boys club, with no vision of cloud-hosted solutions or modern tech like big data or containers.
    - Unexperienced managers trying to become something they don't have an aptitude for
    - Very low salary pay, low 401K matching, Stocks never hit $100 and never will! It's not even worth the vesting options which only occurs 1 year after your start date.
    - This is a dying organization, their startup hype is gone, a true garbage collector.

Advice to Management

Start looking at employees for their potential to bring change to the company and how much impact they can generate with their knowledge and experience. Your "core values" are worth nothing if you neglect millennial tech experiences and their potential. You are doomed to fail otherwise.

"Sales"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and excellent application. We use Workday at Workday and it's a great system.

Cons

Terrible culture. Sales is cut throat. You are merely a # and it's a terrible mentality. Treated like slaves. If you don't work in the CA office, you are not getting the "great culture" experience the company preaches.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and have some fun. Celebrate victories for more than 5 minutes.

"Generally Best Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product: I worked in Support so I deal with bugs and issues all day. I still think it's a great quality product. Amazing and constantly developing to become better. Truly is industry leading and the leadership/ talent involved with product development is truly inspired. Workday releases new features every 6 months, which keeps them on the cutting edge and crushes competition.
    Company: The leadership really does focus on the company’s core values in order to have an amazing culture. Recently there have been complaints that culture was slipping because of hyper growth. What did leadership do? They flew every manager in the company and hosted a conference to help managers lead with their strengths and improve their weaknesses. For a company to spend time and money on something like this, truly shows their dedication to improve Workday. They really do focus on employees, the best they can.
    They do so many activities and contests to make things fun. I'm pretty sure every department is encouraged to hold quarterly events, whether it be the team going to a movie or helping out at a local food bank.
    Workday also is VERY big on service and gives you money towards your charity of choice as you spend your time. Every year Workday has "cangineering" which is a canned food drive. Every office has a chance to build a sculpture out of cans of food. Then the company votes on which one they like most (just a fun competition). After, all of the food donated is given to the local food bank. Workday even gives money to each office to spend of cans of food.
    Employees: Workday truly cares about your career growth. Now, I'm sure that may vary from department to department, but I feel generally it's true. They would like you to stay at one position for at least 18 months before transferring to another.
    Support Position: Even though you are expected to work certain times to support issues, management is flexible with your schedule and understands you have a life out of work. I feel it's a great work life balance. However you are currently required to work a "late shift" for a week, once a quarter. It's not the best, but they give you 2 comp days off and $500 bonus for doing it. You can also work from home during that time if you want. I think that's a pretty fair trade off.
    Benefits: I think the benefits are great! There are a few insurance options. For about $500 a month for a family, there isn't a deductible, $20 co-pays, $150 co-pay for hospital visits (Cost me $300 for a baby!), "Free" outpatient surgery. For around $70 a month, you can get a high deductible plan, however Workday puts the whole deductible in your HSA!

It was amazing working for Workday. Definitely a winning product, team and culture. Maybe someday I will return! :)

Cons

There is pressure to perform and sometimes it can feel like your being micro-managed instead of trusted, especially when you are a new-hire. It may be just the sub-culture in Support. However, if you have a positive attitude about it, you will become better at your job quickly.

It seems that unless you work at a major office (Pleasanton, Dublin & New Zealand), your career development seems limited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Leadership is KEY for culture. PLEASE keep truly striving to live the core values and helping your employees to do so.
    Please be open to letting qualified individuals work from other offices. You are a tech company and there are many technologies to help employees work remotely.
    Push more product training, especially with new features being released every 6 months. One training isn't enough. Make it possible for employees to review training a year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. after their first day/ feature released. I feel with employees revisiting trainings, it will help new things stick out because when you are a new hire or reviewing a new feature, the training is drinking from a fire hose. Give employees some time to digest info and then a chance to eat again so they can gain more info. It's like watching a movie multiple times, every time something new sticks out because you aren't focused on the basics any more, but more advanced info.

"Thinking it is time to make a change"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Being part of changing the face of technology for the ERP market.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility for career

"Best Place to Work"

Pros

Amazing culture, fair wages, great benefits

Cons

Not a ton of parking space

9. "Great sales culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, collaborative group that has high integrity. Great product with great innovation.

Cons

too small sales territories. Unrealistic quotas for some teams.

Advice to Management

slow down the hiring.

10. "Great Company, Great Product"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture at Workday makes it a great company to work for. As the company grows there are lots of opportunities to move teams and geographies depending on what you want to do.

Cons

The workload could be considered to be unmanageable at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team members more

11. "Changing Enterprise Software"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great products, a real focus on customer success, management cares about the workers, lateral transfers are common, still a meritocracy.

Cons

Sometimes acts like a start up and sometime like a big red tape legacy organization. Very flexible working schedules and locations which makes some workers feel left out. However, there are multiple events workers can attend if they are willing to come into the office.