Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 22 reviews)

• Below market pay & the proprietary language are the two huge reasons we don't attract or retain top talent (in 24 reviews)

"The old culture is gone, now it's just another boring ERP behemoth"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday had an excellent chance 10 years ago when it was way ahead of the market with a great product and more importantly, outstanding culture. And it did manage to capitalize. The IPO was great and it is a big name in HCM business now.

The product is still very competitive and the customers love it.

Cons

Unfortunately, it looks like the best days are over. Workday is kicking off more and more projects, but they don't get completed well and don't integrate one with another. There are a lot of things I can't tell publicly, but under the hood the product is becoming a mess with more and more holes.

The culture became very weird. The management states the values it used to honor but no longer does. We've been asking about management reviews and it's been promised many times but just never happened. Probably too many managers are not interested to make it happen. The management keeps constantly changing marching orders and it results in many projects in flux.

As many people stated, the compensation is way below the market. And the career growth - it's not like it's not happening, people do get promoted, but if you want to figure out what you personally need to get done to be promoted - good luck with that. One day we have a campaign to promote GWs, then we hire from outside, then promote from inside. It may played out well for people who got promoted like this, but if you're an average hard worker - you'd be completely lost of what your career path is.

While on average people don't work much, some key people are definitely worked until they get burned out. I see a lot of stress due to that around. But HR is ignoring that.

I can keep going on and on, but I think you see the point. Sure, it's not the worst company in the business, but it's not a top tier employer any longer and the culture is deteriorating. More importantly, the top management is still in the denial stage where they believe that they are almost perfect and ignoring systemic issues (like lack of management accountability/reviews), that means it's going to get much worse before it gets better.

Advice to Management

People have stated here many many times. Introduce anonymous reviews of the managers. Be brave. Don't be afraid to learn the truth. And once you get the unfiltered data, you'll see what to do.

"NYC is run by an incompetent man that lies rather than admits his lack of experience and confidence"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few good, experienced people but they are over ruled by an inexperienced, shallow guy put into a job he is not qualified to occupy. He bends to people that are self serving, bad for corporate culture and demeaning to others.

Cons

The entire corporate culture had suffered and it's showing. Leadership is lacking right up to the CEO. Leadership is demeaning to the team. Customers have noticed the arrogance. Inexperienced "leadership" in NYC states use my tithe as if that means something to customers. Lack of loyalty and support for teams is rampant. Mandatory team meetings waste time and money. Managing up is commonplace and those managers that support their teams are discouraged. Horrible culture.

Advice to Management

Reexamine your values. Remove incompetent people that are in leadership positions. Support your sales teams - do not demean them. Exhibit support and loyalty and you will get it back from employees and customers.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible paid vacation benefits/policy.....that is usually abused.....

Cons

Poor hiring practices, they are so desperate to compete in the big leagues that they hire anyone or settle for mediocre candidates and this happens at all levels. The Salt Lake City facility is the worst because they cannot find a good pool of candidates nor candidates with the experience to work with a company that wants to compete with the big boys.

Advice to Management

Need superstar senior leadership not locals with medium to low expertise

"Human Resources"

Pros

Looks good on your resume. Good reputation.

Cons

Quality of life working at Workday is very low. Co-workers are always depressed and never want to hear new ideas or be innovative. They just repeat the same ideas over and over and reject anyone with a fresh approach. You must be very complacent and not very passionate about your work to be able to tolerate working for this company. The everyday negativity in HR is so thick you can cut with at knife.

"Great place to work, if you started your career at Workday"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Decent name to have on your resume

Cons

Flawed promotion model that only benefits those who started their careers at Workday. GWs' titles and pay are increased at regular intervals, but everyone else is stuck with the same title and pay they were hired at indefinitely.

New hires are not given the chance to show their potential or expand their skill set. Growth opportunities always go to those who have spent the longest amount of time with Workday.

Strong tendency to shaft experienced engineers into lower positions to keep costs down. Needless to say, salary and benefits are not competitive and titles do not match up with experience.

Advice to Management

Your employees--especially your great employees--deserve better.

The current promotion system is stifling motivation and initiative, and fueling resentment. No superstar wants to work in an environment where their talents aren't rewarded.

Spend little less time bolstering GWs' careers and a little more time on the seasoned engineers you have left feeling jilted.

Workday Response

Sep 14, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We value it and will definitely keep your feedback in mind. Our employees are extremely important to us, and we regret that you have had an experience that has made you... More

"Complacent"

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

They offer mediocre snacks for free, they have "unlimited" PTO, and they are by a BART station.

Cons

They have a reputation of being a great company to work for but in reality this is only true if you are content doing the minimum and not growing your career. They hire into roles and give you the smallest "promotions" possible.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your employees. Many are not satisfied and you are not doing anything to keep them there. The work is not exciting and neither are the benefits/pay.

"Used to be great. Is awful now, with no relief in sight."

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The best technology and software in this industry. Company is moving in the right direction to take over the enterprise software market

Cons

Terrible pay, benefits, and culture. If you worked at PeopleSoft, or are one of the rare "chosen ones" who happen to fall into favor with the PeopleSofters, you walk on water. You get all of the promotions, merit, bonuses, stock, and compensation. You can be in the field and have a reputation of being awesome, but your direct management team won't recognize you, promote you, pay you, or develop you. Dave Duffield is definitely no longer around, and he took his culture and values with him, no matter what the company wants you to believe. Taking your comments all the way to senior leadership just gets you black balled and retaliated against. This is from personal experience, as after I raised my concerns, a large piece of compensation I was promised was mysteriously denied by upper management with no explanation given.

Advice to Management

Actually change the culture. Let employees review managers anonymously. There are a lot of bad managers in the company now. Hire less new hires but pay the ones you have so they won't want to leave.

"Anonymous HCM PM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are nice and so is the development team.
    Some decent perks have been rolled out, such as bumped up HSA contribution and 401k matching.

Cons

The culture of secrecy and favoritism is rampant, at least within certain orgs. Re-orgs happen often and mid-to-senior leadership are nowhere to be found. Accountability seems to be 0 for managers who are not grooming their people. Despite negative feedbacks in the form of employees transitioning out of the orgs nothing is done to hold the responsible parties accountable.

Advice to Management

In-house cleaning is much needed. The increasing complex layers of management should come with mechanism for transparent upward feedback. Career path for junior folks need to be consistent across teams.
    Stop saying Culture is important and actually make some changes.
    Glassdoor reviews shouldn't be the way to submit feedback and you're doing both the company a disservice and also future applicants.

"Got Talent, Ambition and Drive? Great...Go work someplace else!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location near the freeway, snacks

Cons

100% agree with the negative reviews about how this place has gone down hill. Workday was once a very special place to work..but no longer. Now upper management has placed many people in leadership positions who have NO leadership skills. There is an abundance of weak, ineffective leadership that leads through fear and would rather keep talking about days past instead of making the tough choices needed to succeed in the future.

If you speak up about the toxic environment that is stifling growth and causing talented, smart folks to leave, you will be branded a "problem" and bullied into leaving.

Workday pays lip service to diversity. How many minorities are there at executive/senior level positions? Hint you only need one hand to count them! There is more to diversity than having a woman CFO.

If you want a JOB just to pay the bills until something better comes along, by all means apply.

If you want a CAREER, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The best and brightest are walking out the door and soon you will have just a bunch of average people sitting around talking about how great it used to be. Do you even care about all employees or just a chosen few? Are you really interested in "learning more" as HR says on negative reviews, or just interested in identifying those you need to weed out?

If you were truly interested in hearing more (as the replies from HR suggest)....you don't need to get that anonymously -- just look at the org where people are leaving or just listen to those who
    speak up, instead of pushing them out the door.

Workday Response

Jul 27, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and will share this with our leadership team. Our employees are our top priority so we want to ensure we’re doing... More

"HR is CORRUPT"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday was founded on the right core values with the right mission statement, and for the most part the employees are good people.

Cons

HR has participated in cover-ups of harassment and discrimination as a way to "save face" and sweep incidents "under the rug".
    These are "red" situations where the harassment has been both pervasive and severe against members of a protected class. Multiple managers, per our Unlawful Harassment Policy, have stepped forward to report the issues. In return, they have been threatened, ostracized, and retaliated against. Meanwhile, the managers who participated in the harassment have been promoted, awarded, and received hefty increases in compensation.
    The standard tactics for the harassment and retaliation are below:
    Corrupt management gives a targeted employee an insurmountable workload, belittles the employee's efforts to achieve the impossible, then uses the "lack of performance" as a way to retaliate in the annual, or off cycle, calibration reviews. All of this is with the hope of forcing the employee to quit on their own accord. Any objection to this abuse of power is framed as insubordination and HR is called in to carryout their process for pushing the employee out of the company. In order to push the employee out of the company, management and HR work together to eliminate any internal transfers for the employee to other departments so they either have to endure the ongoing harassment, or quit.
    What is most concerning about this situation is that we are an HR software company that tracks ALL of this activity, and yet the behavior continues. Promotions, financial rewards, spot bonuses, etc. are not correlated with performance, but based on how well a person keeps their mouth shut. That either makes HR complicit with the behavior, or grossly negligent. Either way, it's not only illegal, but it is a clear violation of our Employee Code
    Of Conduct and our Unlawful Harassment Policy, and you need to know about it.
    This company is one step away from a complaint with the EEOC, the DFEH, and/or the ACLU, and I am well aware of the statue of limitations in a harassment-discrimination case. The only reason why it hasn't already occurred is because despite seeing all of these infractions over the years, I still believe that Dave, Aneel, and Workday upper management will step forward to do the right thing.

Advice to Management

Take an in-depth look at your HR department. People are afraid to come forward because when other people have in the past, they have been threatened with termination and forced out of the company. I'm not sure how you expect people to use the "culture matters" email alias when HR has already retaliated against people who have brought issues to them directly; it's basically career "suicide". This is your opportunity to follow through on our reputation as a "great place to work", and address obvious infractions within the ranks of HR and middle management. Start your review in our own software application.