Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly transparent and a high-trust environment - surprisingly so for a company of its size.

Cons

Like also almost all companies, Workday could do with better information management.

"Little New SAP - STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday's technology foundation is good. There are some really talented employees, but they are often overlooked and treated poorly.

Cons

If you want to flat line your career, come to Workday. If you are good at playing corporate politics, this is the place for you. If you supplement your lack of performance with severe brown nosing, come to Workday. If you like making the same below market salary every year, come to Workday. If you think outside of the box to challenge the status quo you will not succeed here. Entrenched middle and upper management will become scared of your initiative and start undermining your efforts to protect their own jobs. The culture is a facade. It's becoming customary for people to make up stories about their co-workers and report them to HR as a way to carry out immature childish games. Good people are treated poorly and are now leaving in droves. So many good people are leaving that you could make a start-up of top tier talent if you waited outside Workday's front door. The incoming new hires all come from SAP and are bringing their terrible culture with them. Abusive management is commonplace and quality leadership is in short supply. Best advice I can give is if you come here keep your mouth shut and don't try to make a positive difference. DO NOT stand up for what is right because it will only make you a target.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at our core values and start treating people with integrity. I'd take better leadership from people who legitimately care about their employees rather than more snack food. It's not that hard.

"Exceptional company with talented people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

• Great products
    • Top-notch engineers
    • Culture
    • Nice and cozy office

Cons

• Salary/salary-growth could be a bit more competitive
    • Small number of employee perks
    • Limited rotation opportunities

Advice to Management

• Make your technical interviews more interesting and challenging to attract top talent
    • Introduce more coding/algorithm challenges during the interview process (both online using HackerRank and whiteboard coding for onsite interviews)
    • Don't just hire for the sake of growth

"It all depends..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great for the most part. Very friendly and you can see how much the culture means to them. You can bring your dog to work if you have one and they provide a pretty stocked kitchen. They have a nice new gym and "unlimited" PTO as well. Benefits are pretty standard across the industry but the 401K match could be more (but at least they have one).

Cons

Sometimes very frenzied. I have a manager who is MIA most of the time and seems to bend to the will of other groups leaving the team to not feel very supported. Our group is slammed without much help. Meanwhile other teams and departments seem to actually have the opportunity to enjoy Workday and all it has to offer while we are chained to our desks! I determined within the first month or two that this will be a short stay for me.

Advice to Management

Make sure ALL the teams are having the opportunity to enjoy Workday. It's hard watching everyone else have the ability to have work-life balance and actually not eat lunch at their desks while some other teams are buried constantly without much help or support.

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A major player in the HCM world, and coming in strong to the financials world keeps you at the forefront of the industry.

Also, Workday really does care about its people. The salaries are good, great benefits (healthcare, PTO, stocks, etc.) and they have many perks - like discount services in the area, and their snack program.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done with the politicking. Workday seems to be so concerned with hurting someone's feelings / admitting mistakes in hiring that the bad apples tend to stick around for years. You just have to keep working around them, and in many cases cleaning up their messes to get your job done.

Advice to Management

The hiring practices need help: too many times I've seen people come in who presented well / had flashy resumes only to get into the trenches with them to find out that they know almost nothing about how to do the job they were hired for - even after EXTENSIVE training / assistance. Frankly, it would appear that many have misrepresented their achievements at other companies so they would get the Workday job. As the hiring decision is often made by the department managers who have head count open it would benefit all concerned if they got a crash course on how to read / evaluate job candidates better as the interview guidelines you send out don't seem to be cutting it.

Also, with regards to the perks: snacks and multiple yearly events are nice, but I would prefer to see the employee programs budget reimagined so it contributes a bit more to quality of life rather than just entertainment. Such as Ott lighting or better natural lighting in the offices (those fluorescents make working in the office very tiring), better seating (our desks keep getting smaller and smaller with each floor plan shuffle), or shuttles from the high populated Workday employee cities - San Jose, Concord,/Walnut Creek, etc. Yes, these are all big expenses, but I'd gladly trade the gifted Coke, Cheese Nips, Halloween Party, etc. for more me-time to read or listen to music to and from work each day.

"Awesome company!"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Best culture in ERP software.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Office Bullying by Mid-Tier Leaders, incompetent workers forming cliques to secure power"

Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Services in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Snacks, nice office, ping pong table

Cons

Coming to Workday was a dream come true for me. I took a pay cut to enter into this seemingly culture and employee focused company. The truth is, my dreams quickly became a nightmare once I joined. Management in Services is highly unsupportive of career growth, they are doing massive layoffs masked in different phases, mid-tier management "leaders" are malicious towards their employees. There is a lot of office bullying, public shaming, favoritism and leaders try to form cliques to secure their power. They do not care about their employees, and the work environment is highly hostile. I come into work everyday dreading and hoping that I will one day get out of this black hole. Life keeps getting worse as more malicious leaders gain power in the company. At this point, I, as well as many other co-workers are suffering and have a gloomy outlook on our future here. Many have left, and many are getting laid off. No one knows about their tomorrow.

Advice to Management

I hope management will somehow turn this around because this is the worst work environment I have ever gotten myself into.

"Applications Development (QA) 1.5 years in..."

Current Employee - QA Engineer
    Current Employee - QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a dark point less than a year after I joined where I thought maybe I would be better off somewhere else. They had grown so rapidly that things were becoming chaotic and we didn't have enough folks who knew the product well and we also had very demanding customer commitments. Even though I liked my team I felt like I did not have the resources to be successful.

This all sounds like a con but its not...because s**t happens and at some companies nothing would ever change and eventually you would just give up and find a better job.

HOWEVER, at Workday I have seen coordinated effort from management (mid-level) from Dev, QA and PM to get our product area back on track including changing peoples roles so that their skills are maximized and adding additional headcount to fill open roles (who have the right skill set). I have also seen team re-shuffling (in order to increase cohesiveness) as well as managers on all teams being aligned in goals and counseling their teams to ensure we all work together as well as possible and are as successful as possible.

Things are not perfect but our direct managers have made swift efforts to address things that are going wrong (with support of higher level managers). I have confidence that as issues crop up our managers in dev/qa/pm will be able to work together to make things right.

Additional Pros:

-Management (high level) has made significant investment in providing training to development teams on a multitude of things (product area, agile principles etc).
    -We are constantly being surveyed on various topics so that management can get a better idea of our needs.
    -Pay was so-so when I arrived but I guess management realized that they needed to pay better and I saw a generous adjustment to get me to a more competitive pay (and I didn't need to ask).
    -I really like my teammates. Even when we have disagreements we ultimately can find common ground because we truly want to do the right thing for workday and the customers. It is like our north star.
    -Managers got feedback from the folks working for them and I don't know the exact details but high scoring public managers were publicly recognized and folks seem to know who the low scoring managers are through word of mouth. This has put pressure on those managers who got poor marks to do better.
    -Promotions do not appear SUPER hard to get if your boss thinks you are a high performer. You might have to jump some hurdles or put in some time but its not like its not going to happen.
    -There seems to also be lateral mobility between qa/pm/dev (depending on skillset).
    -People are for the most part smiling/happy/nice/friendly which really brightens your mood.
    -Lots of employee-centric events. I participated to bring your parent to Workday and Bring your dog to Workday and they were a blast.
    -Lots of wellness offerings (new workout center, meditation classes etc)
    -People who are passionate. You will find likely find some sort of Workday sponsored group/event in something you are interested in (Volunteering, Ping Pong, Book Clubs etc)
    -If you work in App Dev you may never need to buy another t-shirt as we are constantly getting them for some event or another.

Cons

-Management seems to be following their own version of agile for the way they run their teams (ie fast iterations and fail fast). That is good and bad. They are willing to try new things but it can also be distracting because it feels like there is always something new coming down the pipeline or scrapping some way of doing something etc. You definitely have to be able to embrace change.
    (as a side note the pro side of this is they are not scared to throw something out the window that is not working for people and they are open to trying new ways to do things if it could make things better in some way).

-I've seen some arrogant managers make some doofus decisions despite getting an absurd amount of feedback that it is a bad idea (and yet they do it anyway). Workday is not a perfect utopia and these people exist but I'm thinking/hoping that there are less of them at Workday.

Advice to Management

I have had the blessing of working with good managers. Not just my manager but the managers of my coworkers on my team too (dev mgrs and pm mgr). All of them have to be good for positive momentum. One bad manager can spoil forward progress and one bad manager can ensure your talent walks out the door (or fails to meet their potential).

Please stay focused on rewarding the good managers and identifying the bad ones. The bad ones should not be tolerated.

"Core Values"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Products. 97% customer satisfaction rating. Company culture. Great benefits. Fair pay.

Cons

Shrinking territories for Sales Reps. Internal selling can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Open up the Platform, build industry specific applications.

"Great place to be in SaaS space!"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate people, amazing technology and leadership that listens and is striving to keep the start up culture in a growing company.

Cons

Outside of corp HQ, a little more difficult to ensure employees feel engaged if not in larger office. Inconsistent across regions.

Advice to Management

As company continues to grow, try as much as possible to have great culture standards across all orgs, regions, offices.