Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

1. "Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture; collaborative environment; smart employees

Cons

Some days it's "like riding a rocket"; incredible growth means constantly evolving which can be a pro and con.

"Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Talented, bright and open-minded leadership
    - Positive/creative/inclusive environment
    - Work/life balance
    - lots of opportunities to grow!

Cons

None! I genuinely love where I work.

Advice to Management

- Continue to cultivate creativity
    - Keep core values intact as Workday continues to grow and develop

You're doing a great job :)

"Experienced professionals beware and think hard before joining Workday"

Former Employee - Product Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Implementation of Agile and scrum done well - seemed to work for team on which I was a part. I had a terrific dev manager but my direct manager was ineffectual and showed no leadership or management skills.
    Application workflow and notification not bad using user inboxes internal to application.
    Also some nice features to support unique attributes that can be propagated across different objects to personalize UI and improve reporting dimensions.
    If you are a new college grad Workday probably a good place but be careful not to question managers while there - some managers feel threatened or nervous when you question their decision criteria or methods that go beyond current user concerns and needs.

Cons

1. Old Oracle and Peoplesoft employees made this place toxic and not willing to listen to input and others points of view of experienced professionals.
    2. I moved here from out of state to join what I thought was progressive company. I was with a financial software best of breed technology provider and was anxious to find out what seemingly made Workday a popular industry offering.
    3. Found out fast that I had very little input into functionality and roadmap for which I am SME with over 20 years of experience.
    4. For a company which has foundation in HCM, found employee review process completely subjective. No really KPI or quantitative metrics used to measure employee value or effectiveness. No transparency or methodology used for measuring employee contribution.
    5. Realize if you join annual raises small - Workday likes to reward RSU to keep employees satisfied.
    6. Technology 100% proprietary leading to frustration, inflexibility and rate of new development.
    7. Workday claims UX is great. Not my expire either at all. No menu navigation; no integration with external widgets. Grid control not flexibility and does not support personalization include public and private data views.
    8. If you are a experienced technical candidate with SDLC experience but not familiar with Workday - ASK TO SEE W DEMO OF PRODUCT AFTER SIGNING NDA. After leaving Workday every user I come across in other companies that use Workday Financials are NOT AT ALL fans of UX.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to formally review managers. Implement a 360 Degree survey so senior managers can get a better look of management leadership skills. Implement a employee review process that is more objective and measurable based on defined deliverables and agreed upon metrics.

4. "APM at Workday"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, near bart, fun, lots of young people if you're on certain teams.

Cons

Slightly below pay average, but overall great.

"Join Workday at your own peril, all that glitters is not gold..."

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Cool and modern looking UI
    2) HCM product sells itself, not so sure of the other products especially Financials.
    3) Free snacks; but come-on how much snacks can you eat?
    4) Great Halloween party

Cons

1) Level of politics in a company of this small size is simply unbelievable especially in the product side. Most of the old timers who architected and designed the products and brought the company to the level it is currently at, have left the company. This is a playground of extreme politics and blatant favoritism.

2) Success came too easy for Workday since SAP & Oracle apps sucked big time with the general trend to the cloud. This easy success has caused many of the management folks here at WD to get really arrogant and play extreme, petty politics. The fact that there are far too many middle-aged white women in management positions across the company, helps in increasing the degree of workplace politics.

3) In an attempt to grow fast, WD let the guard down and opened the flood gates while hiring; and promoted people to management levels based on who they knew/their connections rather than abilities. This has caused WD to become a "garbage recycle center" for "rejects" from Cisco, Oracle, Amazon and ex-PeopleSoft (the old boys club of PeopleSoft!).

4) CEO and top management are obessesed with company ratings on this website. Rumor is that, it is someone's full-time job within HR is to flag any negative reviews and get them removed. The CEO also sends out emails to employees "encouraging" them to take part in the "best places to work" survey. By hook or crook they want to paint a pretty picture of the company. Are they planning to put this company up for sale?

5) Based on an internal employee survey few months back, to identify reasons for poor employee morale, some managers were moved out of their management positions to other individual contributor roles. These managers should have been fired but instead, they were offered other roles. If by any chance you set up a skip-meeting with the VP/SVP of your group, your immediate manager gets to know about it instantaneously! So much for their transparency and open door policy! Almost everything seems to be an eye-wash or fake. Other companies that do not claim to be employee friendly have better processes and do not put on a show.

Advice to Management

1) Rather than do lip-service to your slogan of happy employees, put that into action. Time to walk the talk.

2) Get HR to get its act together and stop wasting time scanning websites to flag and remove negative comments.

3) Clean up your product teams. Many of your management folks are woefully not up to the job. Level of politics is concentrated in the product teams across the company.

4) Create processes and institute a 360-degree review before promoting people to manager positions.

5) If you cannot do any of the above, please throw out the slogan of being a "people friendly" or "employee friendly" company. Free snacks, Halloween party or a company meeting with free food & drinks doesn't make a company an employee friendly one. There is more to it.

6) Bring back Dave Duffield. Coincidentally, the company has been on a downward slope ever since Dave left.

Feb 22, 2017 – Ashley Goldsmith, Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback; it’s very much appreciated. I, along with the rest of the Workday leadership team, believe our success is measured by the degree to which we abide by our core values. As... More

"Great Product but Culture Has Tanked"

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Workday (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great Product, Leader in HCM/Payroll. Financials is getting better.
    -CEO is solid and a genuinely good guy
    -Free snacks and drinks

Cons

-Politics are overwhelming employees
    -Many Leaders using fear-based management style
    -Micro-management is becoming the norm
    -Sales goals are high and unattainable

Advice to Management

I'm not sure the culture can recover considering where it is today. Get back to treating employees like valued human beings not an employee number.

"Workday - worst place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in the east bay.

Cons

Workday prides themselves on core values. They say priority one is its employees. NOT TRUE. Workday is a company that only cares about itself. There is no communication or transparency from management. You are nothing but a number…. The culture that used to be employee and customer centric is gone.

Advice to Management

Start caring about you employees and treating them as more than a number.

"Corporate Strategy"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Values-driven company with tremendous respect for employees and leader of an exciting mission to truly revolutionize business software and help our customers escape the dark ages of legacy IT

Cons

Soul of a startup within the body of an increasingly large organization; scaling this very special company culture is a challenge but I believe the right decisions are being made to accomplish this

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the recent drive to equip more line managers with best practices to more firmly root the Workday culture within all of our teams

Jan 17, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review!

"Worst company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Remote work ok

Cons

Workday is concerned about customer satisfaction and to obtain that rating employees are thrown under the bus. If a client is unhappy
    and just don't
     like the consultant, you will get a call from the EM saying your off the project. Regardless of the fact the client is at fault, Workday needs a scape goat. You are placed in situations were you get no training and told to figure it out. A recipe for failure

Advice to Management

Provide training to your consultants. Quit back stabbing them. Most of the time they never know there is a problem till you get the call. Stress levels are extreme. Change or have a door with consultants coming and going

"It has some bright sides but also some dark ones too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of low level positions. A lot of people are leaving the company, the turnover is quite high, so there are always openings.

Exposure to a lot of technologies.

Free snacks are great.

Easy to work from home. For the most people no overtime.

Cons

The elephant in the room is the below market compensation. Bay Area is a very pricy place and it's hard to be a happy employee excited about the company when your paycheck is below what your peers in other places make. The days of dreaming about Workday stock hitting $500 are gone and the harsh reality is settling in.

Low efficiency. You think that Workday is a cool company and you think I can get by on a low salary but I'm going to learn something, how about that? Workday does have some nice tricks to learn. It's core HCM product is competitive, customer support is great, finance team is above and beyond, there are bright people here and there. But overall Workday is extremely inefficient. While its major competitors are highly profitable, Workday just can't figure out how to make money. It drags a lot of useless individuals and whole teams, its data centers are underutilized, it's acquiring other companies and developing products and they just don't bring profits in.

Career dead end technologies. Workday tries to reinvent the wheel in many ways. A lot of developers are using a proprietary language called Xpresso - stay as far as you can! It's core products are using in house developed software - same story, very proprietary, not being used outside of Workday. I guess it helps companies to keep salaries low because after a few years it's hard to find jobs outside - this is something to consider.

What happens when you put together a lot of people who can't find jobs outside of this company, keep them working on reinventing the wheel and under pay? Yes, right. Politics, secrecy, nepotism - other reviewers have mentioned it many times and it is true.

Advice to Management

We all want our company to look good, but some issues are becoming too hot to hide. The low pay leads to high turn over - it's real and easy to see. The happy employees are not supposed to leave the company at this rate. Our goal of becoming profitable doesn't seem to be consistent with our practices. No accountability, dragging on inefficient people and projects - really? As reviewers mentioned before our goal of zero security events and more and more questionable security practices. The list keeps going on ... We've stated great values - we just need to be true to them, can we?

And one more thing ... It was a really nice move to buy more parking spaces ... Can we add more restrooms too? The lines around 2 pm are bad.

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We value it and will definitely keep this in mind. We understand that compensation is an important part of attracting and retaining great talent, and it’s concerning that... More