Workday Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated February 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Friendly atmosphere and work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Great culture & transparency from executives (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great Global Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday is growing fast in the markets outside the US and providing good career opportunities in many new geographies markets. Good opportunities in sales, services and support in the field operation. Teams in new markets get to work across multiple functional areas.

Cons

Working in offices outside of the corporate headquarters can be a challenge, but the management team does make the effort to communicate to and visit remote offices.

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus on employees and customers, as well as growth outside of North America.

2. "Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic place, very strong culture based on collaboration, employees, innovation and doing the right thing for the customer

Cons

Some employees confuse a culture based on taking care of employees, which is great, with accepting low performance. Fun is corporate value of Workday that should be always tied with success: Success in developing great products, in driving customer satisfaction, in winning against our competitors, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the culture and on a clear vision to transform the enterprise applications market

"Peaceful place to work"

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is important here
    Decent pay
    Peaceful place
    Everyone here i very nice and will help you if you ask

Cons

Although everyone is nice, the people here are definitely not very ambitious or motivating.
    This is a good company to settle down and earn a good paycheck with benefits, but if you are young and ambitious, you may feel a little restrained at Workday.

Advice to Management

Workday is very fast growth and I think they do not have very high standards in hiring managers in order to accommodate the fast growth, so a few bad ones make it as a manager. Maybe try to weed out less competent managers no matter how nice or kind they are.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company lives its core values better than any previous employer, which is very much appreciated. The culture focuses on being a best place to work for its employees and being excellent at truly partnering with customers. Life long learners fit in best at Workday. Employees need to enjoy learning and teaching because the product continues to change and evolve. Ramp up period to contribute is longer than most other companies, so potential employees need to be ok with being uncomfortable for 6-9 months.

Cons

I have been trying to find the cons for over a year, but have yet to find anything substantive. Not perfection, but Workday strives to create a great culture.

Advice to Management

Making employees, customers and culture higher priorities than profitability initially will in the long run lead to a very profitable company. Continue living the Workday values.

"The culture is truly one of a kind"

Current Employee - Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, cooperative work environment. Managers actually care about your career path, and encourage movement and progress. The products are above Oracle and SAP, so selling Workday comes easily. Awesome CEO and Founder.

Cons

I don't really have cons about the business itself, but unless you're interested in Human Capital Management or Financial software systems, it's hard to find passion in the work. Luckily, Workday takes care of that with being an awesome company, which adds passion for just being there.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive. It's a natural progression to become more corporate and structure as we grow, but our core values are what makes us different.

"Better Every Day"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to grow your career at Workday. It is a very friendly and family-like environment. There is an excellent balance of work and personal life. My experience with the management team, directors etc., has been one of honest and open conversation. The Workday system is definitely not something you can grasp overnight and then put a feather in your cap. And my experience has been that this was never the expectation. As Workday's products have grown, evolved, matured; so have opportunities for employees to get involved in the "next new thing", and to be part of an ever changing for the better product. Workday is constantly innovating and that makes for some very interesting opportunities to work on fantastic projects with outstanding and brilliant people.

Cons

If I had to think of 1 con it might be the salary. Some have stated that Workday is under market on compensation, but considering they are an Easy Bay company, the alternatives would be to travel to the Silicon Valley where you can expect to spend 3 hours of your day commuting and quite a bit on fuel and other expenses.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. Keep Workday a friendly environment where open communication and respect are honored. Keep innovating.

8. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is very easy to use and great to teach.

Cons

You will be traveling a lot.

"Great place to work if your not female"

Pros

Amazing product and great value proposition. Easy to sell from that perspective. Easy to buy into and nice to know you sell a first rate product.

Cons

Lots of talk about equality for women and they have made some strategic hires in that regard but overall women do not get promoted easily internally.

In fact you have to ask yourself why all the hype and marketing around equality if the company didn't have an issue.

Many of the old peoplesoft guard get the plum management positions and they are not nearly as qualified as the women who have proven themselves capable and are not even considered for the roles.

Generally speaking the management is terrible. They are lucky that the teams are motivated and love selling the product in spite of their management team.

Extremely low morale across the sales team.

Revolving door of managers doesn't help and bad management choices have the sales teams focused on the wrong things.

Advice to Management

C Level should engage in skip level interviews. If they understood what was happening in the field they would be mortified.

They should also go to market and find a Saas sales professional to revamp sales operations and reenergize the sales team.

Might be a good idea to sell the company so that it can realize growth and profitability. Would be the best thing for all stakeholders and shareholders.

"Great team dynamic, lower than market pay"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the fun and culture of the company. Supportive team members and cross team collaboration makes getting things done easier. Management focuses on career development and is supportive of lateral moves.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, no annual raise for inflation, stock is given out instead of pay increases. Poor performance doesn't mean that employees will get cut, not a very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring the best talent, and paying them more, vs hiring too many people that aren't the most qualified.

"Couldn't be happier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday has an extremely fast paced environment. There is never time to get bored. The company is extremely focused on culture and really puts forth efforts to earn Best Places to Work accolades, not because of the press, but because of the belief that happy employees deliver better customer care. I am confused when I read other reviews that talk about no career growth. I have been with the company for over five years and have just transitioned into my third position. Workday has been fantastic to me, and I am not one of the old PeopleSoft guard.

Cons

As with any company, there is some inconsistency across management in terms of the employee experience, but recently the executive management team acknowledged this and is taking action.