Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

"It has some bright sides but also some dark ones too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of low level positions. A lot of people are leaving the company, the turnover is quite high, so there are always openings.

Exposure to a lot of technologies.

Free snacks are great.

Easy to work from home. For the most people no overtime.

Cons

The elephant in the room is the below market compensation. Bay Area is a very pricy place and it's hard to be a happy employee excited about the company when your paycheck is below what your peers in other places make. The days of dreaming about Workday stock hitting $500 are gone and the harsh reality is settling in.

Low efficiency. You think that Workday is a cool company and you think I can get by on a low salary but I'm going to learn something, how about that? Workday does have some nice tricks to learn. It's core HCM product is competitive, customer support is great, finance team is above and beyond, there are bright people here and there. But overall Workday is extremely inefficient. While its major competitors are highly profitable, Workday just can't figure out how to make money. It drags a lot of useless individuals and whole teams, its data centers are underutilized, it's acquiring other companies and developing products and they just don't bring profits in.

Career dead end technologies. Workday tries to reinvent the wheel in many ways. A lot of developers are using a proprietary language called Xpresso - stay as far as you can! It's core products are using in house developed software - same story, very proprietary, not being used outside of Workday. I guess it helps companies to keep salaries low because after a few years it's hard to find jobs outside - this is something to consider.

What happens when you put together a lot of people who can't find jobs outside of this company, keep them working on reinventing the wheel and under pay? Yes, right. Politics, secrecy, nepotism - other reviewers have mentioned it many times and it is true.

Advice to Management

We all want our company to look good, but some issues are becoming too hot to hide. The low pay leads to high turn over - it's real and easy to see. The happy employees are not supposed to leave the company at this rate. Our goal of becoming profitable doesn't seem to be consistent with our practices. No accountability, dragging on inefficient people and projects - really? As reviewers mentioned before our goal of zero security events and more and more questionable security practices. The list keeps going on ... We've stated great values - we just need to be true to them, can we?

And one more thing ... It was a really nice move to buy more parking spaces ... Can we add more restrooms too? The lines around 2 pm are bad.

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We value it and will definitely keep this in mind. We understand that compensation is an important part of attracting and retaining great talent, and it’s concerning that... More

"Sr. Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, the evolution of ERP will begin with Workday.

Cons

Lack of recognition and professional development.

Advice to Management

Find leaders from outside of the industry, don't pull in leadership from the competition, it just continues the vicious cycle.

Jan 17, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your feedback; we definitely value it and will keep this in mind. Providing our employees with a rewarding career experience through recognition and professional development is... More

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great CEO, great culture, good people

Cons

Need to work 10 hours a day at least 2 days in a week.

"Excellent company and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Work with smart, caring people in a fast-paced, fun environment.

Cons

None I can think of

"Unbeatable culture"

Current Employee - Department Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Department Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

The culture is unbeatable. It definitely falls under the "tech company with a ping pong table" bay area stereotype, but it's so much more than that. I feel comfortable raising ideas to my team. I know I am supported by my management. Genuinely, everyone I work with really cares, all the way up to the top (because this is the kind of place where you see the CEO walking around campus). Truly amazing. I love it here.

Cons

I wish I made more money but I think I could say that no matter where I worked or how much money I made.

Advice to Management

Continue connecting with your team. Spend the 5 minutes before a meeting asking how everyone is doing. This is prevalent, but I'd love to see more of it.

Jan 17, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review!

"Fantastic company and technologies"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III Lead in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III Lead in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

culture, work/life balance, always learning, always contributing, opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

certain policies are shifting away from start up and towards a corporate feel. this is natural and expected, but worth nothing.

Advice to Management

continue empowering your employees and giving them opportunities to show off their abilities.

"Company Culture is great, but challenging Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is strong and clearly important to Senior Leadership and that flows down thru management. The management style is collaborative and as a result, the politics of many companies this size doesn't seem to be as prevalent at Workday.

Cons

Work-life balance is not as easy as it should be. While no one is saying you must stay late or work into the evenings / weekends when home, the company is growing so fast and hiring isn't keeping pace. To get the job done - it often means long hours.

Advice to Management

Continue with the open communication and focusing on keeping the company culture! But also keep employee retention in mind as business decisions are made - the learning curve is long for developers and many of the young ones seem to be on the fence about how long they are going to stay.

"Great team dynamic, lower than market pay"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the fun and culture of the company. Supportive team members and cross team collaboration makes getting things done easier. Management focuses on career development and is supportive of lateral moves.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, no annual raise for inflation, stock is given out instead of pay increases. Poor performance doesn't mean that employees will get cut, not a very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring the best talent, and paying them more, vs hiring too many people that aren't the most qualified.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company lives its core values better than any previous employer, which is very much appreciated. The culture focuses on being a best place to work for its employees and being excellent at truly partnering with customers. Life long learners fit in best at Workday. Employees need to enjoy learning and teaching because the product continues to change and evolve. Ramp up period to contribute is longer than most other companies, so potential employees need to be ok with being uncomfortable for 6-9 months.

Cons

I have been trying to find the cons for over a year, but have yet to find anything substantive. Not perfection, but Workday strives to create a great culture.

Advice to Management

Making employees, customers and culture higher priorities than profitability initially will in the long run lead to a very profitable company. Continue living the Workday values.

"Great technology, horrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday has great technology. The platform is very modern, robust, and innovative. The UI is easy to use and customers, for the most part, have a positive experience with Workday. I believe that our CEO is an honest, ethical, smart leader.

Cons

Unfortunately, our CEOs ethics do not translate down into the trenches where we work. Middle management is horrible! It is very much a boys club and preferential treatment is given to those that are a part of the in-crowd. Communication from middle management is terrible and employee feedback is definitely an "F" word. I am planning to leave this year and hope that my next company stands behind its stated core values.

Advice to Management

Solicit honest feedback from your employees in an anonymous way and have an open door policy. If you take the time to speak with the worker bees, you will get a completely different perspective.