Workday Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Friendly atmosphere and work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Great culture & transparency from executives (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 17 reviews)

"Keep the Faith, We still Rock."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Still an amazing org, with solid senior leadership who still want to do the right thing.

Cons

With any company that grows, new folks come in and they don't necessarily appreciate the history. They function in a manner that they know and have likely worked for them in the past.
    Base & middle management is where i see us struggle the most.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to foster the culture that built the company. Find those who live the core values and support them in leadership roles/opportunities. Continue to remind we are fundamentally different.

"Great Company but no room to advance career"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a great company and has an awesome culture. The management teams all the way up to the CEO are easy to work with and in my opinion make very good strategic decisions with regards to growing the company.

Cons

There is little or no opportunity for career advancement.

"Great company"

Pros

Great culture, focus on employee satisfaction

Cons

Can't think of any cons

"Great culture that is struggling to keep up with scale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with, in terms of technical skill, management and leadership prowess, and just as human beings. Senior management is extremely motivated and taking steps to maintain and nurture the great culture that Workday was founded on, as well as the high-efficiency startup feel.

Cons

Newer managers (either first-time or new to Workday) don't always fit the culture and can become toxic to the environment if not identified early.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture and development efficiency, and promote/showcase those who embody the culture and mindset that Workday was founded on -- our people are #1.

"It has some bright sides but also some dark ones too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of low level positions. A lot of people are leaving the company, the turnover is quite high, so there are always openings.

Exposure to a lot of technologies.

Free snacks are great.

Easy to work from home. For the most people no overtime.

Cons

The elephant in the room is the below market compensation. Bay Area is a very pricy place and it's hard to be a happy employee excited about the company when your paycheck is below what your peers in other places make. The days of dreaming about Workday stock hitting $500 are gone and the harsh reality is settling in.

Low efficiency. You think that Workday is a cool company and you think I can get by on a low salary but I'm going to learn something, how about that? Workday does have some nice tricks to learn. It's core HCM product is competitive, customer support is great, finance team is above and beyond, there are bright people here and there. But overall Workday is extremely inefficient. While its major competitors are highly profitable, Workday just can't figure out how to make money. It drags a lot of useless individuals and whole teams, its data centers are underutilized, it's acquiring other companies and developing products and they just don't bring profits in.

Career dead end technologies. Workday tries to reinvent the wheel in many ways. A lot of developers are using a proprietary language called Xpresso - stay as far as you can! It's core products are using in house developed software - same story, very proprietary, not being used outside of Workday. I guess it helps companies to keep salaries low because after a few years it's hard to find jobs outside - this is something to consider.

What happens when you put together a lot of people who can't find jobs outside of this company, keep them working on reinventing the wheel and under pay? Yes, right. Politics, secrecy, nepotism - other reviewers have mentioned it many times and it is true.

Advice to Management

We all want our company to look good, but some issues are becoming too hot to hide. The low pay leads to high turn over - it's real and easy to see. The happy employees are not supposed to leave the company at this rate. Our goal of becoming profitable doesn't seem to be consistent with our practices. No accountability, dragging on inefficient people and projects - really? As reviewers mentioned before our goal of zero security events and more and more questionable security practices. The list keeps going on ... We've stated great values - we just need to be true to them, can we?

And one more thing ... It was a really nice move to buy more parking spaces ... Can we add more restrooms too? The lines around 2 pm are bad.

Workday Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We value it and will definitely keep this in mind. We understand that compensation is an important part of attracting and retaining great talent, and it’s concerning that ... More

"The best place ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leaders go out of their way to ensure that employees have a voice here. The amount of perks that we receive as employees is above and beyond. Employee programs plays an instrumental part in helping us celebrate our culture by organizing an amazing Halloween event, company picnic and meeting. For such a small staff I have no idea how they do it and they do not hire extra help either!

Cons

I have some colleagues that like to complain about everything and are frankly ungrateful of all the work that goes into creating a culture to help employees thrive while being happy. My theory is...if you complain about things where you do not understand the reasons why decisions are made, ask...DON'T bad mouth the company.

Advice to Management

There should be consequences for employees that "break" the rules and complain about things that are out of the control of the company.

Workday Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review!

"Software Development Engineer - One Of OMS CORE, API, GRID, CLOUD, DATA, QUERY, BDA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is challenging and exciting.
    Colleagues are intelligent and friendly.
    Managers are very capable and technically strong.
    Perks are good like fruits, bagels, snacks etc.
    Very positive environment.
    Workday is amazing company cares for employees.

Cons

One star is missing for one reason but it is very important to address. Pay is way below market, stock based compensation is not enough to cover the pay shortage.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that please please work on the compensation, many are frustrated without hikes for many years. There are lot of talented people thinking of moving out of workday and even complaining that they get paid less than apps teams. I understand cost cutting not at the extent of losing dedicated talented and smart people.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Workday is an outstanding employer. One of the core principles is that employees are core to the business, without which there wouldn't be a business. And management live that principle every day. Its a wonderfully supportive environment to learn and work in. And because the company is continuing to grow quickly and scale upwards, there is a continual new set of challenges that keeps work interesting.

Cons

I havn't seen any so far.

Advice to Management

Make sure we retain this wonderful culture as the company grows.

"Isn't it ironic?"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday got the basics covered. The offices are reasonable (not counting lack of parking, occasional lines in the restrooms and constantly failing coffee machines), there are free snacks and fruits (yes!), ping pong and pool tables, fitness allowances and other perks. There are cool company events (the latest picnic and Halloween were below average but still not bad).

On a more serious note, it's a large company with a lot of people and projects, it is well known in ERP world and has some very competitive products.

Cons

Speaking about irony ... Workday sales pitch is based around helping customers to make data driven decisions. You give us your data and we help you to make sense out of them. Not just review, but analyze and react, or, even better, be proactive. Great! However, for some reason internally Workday does exactly opposite. It avoids making data driven decisions. Setting clear goals and measuring the results? Feedback on the managers? Defining clear requirements for a promotion? Review of the projects? Measuring efficiency? Public metrics? No! Secrecy becomes an integral part of how the company operates. Sometimes we get people hired nobody knows why. Then people disappear without any explanation. Projects get started then cancelled - no explanations either. Security is increasingly based on obscurity. The technical debt is exploding. We are doing more and more work with less and less progress. And as many reviewers mentioned, the compensation is below market.

If a lot of pointless work for little pay doesn't scare you away - you're welcome to join - and it should be easier by looking at the turnover numbers.

Advice to Management

Workday used to be a company based on trust. Happy employees, open door policies, executives giving straightforward answers to the burning questions. The numbers about our results were everywhere. Everyone knew what is gong well and what is not. What happened to all of that? Look at athletes - the key to become better is to measure and analyze results. Where are the metrics and the results to look at? Why such secrecy?

11. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company OK people good growth

Cons

Technology Technology Technology Technology Technology