Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

"I would only work in sales at Workday if you have a manager you trust."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong CEO, focused product team, disruptive product in HCM, opportunity to make good money, good health benefits, paid gym membership for remote employees

Cons

Sales leadership was constantly changing. Three different VP's in 11 months. I would only work here if your direct manager is someone you trust and will give you the time it takes to get your deals off the ground. On average it takes 1.5-2 yrs to close a deal. There are way too many AE's covering to few accounts. All the low hanging fruit is covered and it still takes a very long time to close those deals. As much as they talk about Workday core values they do not apply to sales. AE's are way to competitive with each other because they are desperate to close a deal. Not very collaborative. Managers work on deals independently of their AE's. Seems crazy. I don't understand why they don't assign them to an AE and focus on managing, leading and supporting their team.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with AE's about the sales cycle and process. If you believe you are hiring people that are great cultural fits for Workday make sure their managers are there to support them.

"Great company, dysfunctional Talent Acquisition team."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company is a good one. Our product offerings are best in our space, and the overall temperament of the company culture is above average. I also truly believe that our CEO's, Aneel and Dave, genuinely believe in our core values. This review is solely based on the current Talent Acquisition team/leadership.

Cons

Previous leadership in Talent Acquisition, while it may not have been perfect, was unifying, empowering and positive. The team felt driven and supported. It was indeed a "great place to work." There was transparency in the communications out to the team, and consistency in their message, mission and the treating employees with fairness and integrity. There has been many changes within the last 6+ months, and the general consensus is that our current leads/leadership is impersonal, calculating and cold. There are managers who would be prefer to not have to manage people but who are forced to in order to move up the ranks, and there are managers who should not have been promoted to a lead role because of a lack of experience. Along with that, there is a reorg going on in the group, and lots of movement. Both contract employees and full time are being treated as if they are quite disposable and feeling very unappreciated and unnerved. Morale is at an all time low and the overall vibe is quite toxic. Even people who act as if they are content have their eye on the market. A lot of us that have been here awhile feel if it wasn't broke, why try to fix it? Talent Acquisition and HR seem to have lost our bearing and we need to get back to our core values of integrity, collaboration, putting our customers/candidates and our employees first.

Advice to Management

I would say more guidance and training to TA leadership on how to be more consistent, fair, positive and communicative. Treat all employees, regardless if they are contract or perm, with more humanity and appreciation. It's a small world and an even smaller valley, and recruiters tend to have very large
     networks and talk to a lot of people every day.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a fun and challenging place to work. Everyone there is top talent; Workday does not waste its time with mediocrity. Expect to have a lot expected of you and to be surrounded by people who strive to better themselves and learn something new every day. Also, the work/life balance and flexibility is as good as it gets. Work from home whenever you need to, as long as you get your job done.

Cons

Workday is still a fairly new company and is still growing and learning. I think they need to focus on their benefits offering at their regional offices. Headquarters may have free parking, but in Boston it's pretty standard for a company of Workday's size to offer a commuter subsidy. However, only the pre-tax deduction is offered. The 401k match just started in 2016, which is great. But, I hope it grows to be more than the cap of a $3k match. Also, the company has an unlimited PTO policy, which is great for anyone who is NOT in the professional services part of the organization. In professional services, there are billable hours targets that must be met to receive your bonus, and they only give you a 3 week PTO "credit" (i.e. any PTO time or other non-billable time, including the mandatory training and meetings, over 3 weeks has to be made up to achieve your target).

Advice to Management

I would suggest that HR from headquarters in Pleasanton, CA participate in local HR networking and benchmarking groups to get a better sense of what types of benefits and other programs employers in the various regions are offering. I would also suggest they recognize their professional services employees both on billable hours AND how they do their work. As a company they focus heavily on customer satisfaction. However, professional services is only rewarded for how many hours they charge their customers.

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Sales/Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HCM Solution and customers are very happy.

Cons

Workday is not a good place to work if you carry a quota. Only about 15% of the sales people make their number and the other 85% are literally starving. Territories are so tight and the quotas are so high. There is a lot of finger pointing and political games. Workday is a mini Oracle.

Also, it looks like the companies long term outlook is based on the success of their financial solution. It is a pretty good play for mid market companies that don't have complex accounting needs, but it won't ever scale to the enterprise and is only a fit for a few verticals.

Advice to Management

Practice collegiality and integrity. RSMs and RVPs are terrible.

"Taking the work out of workday"

Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture that makes it a continuously fun and challenging place to work. The flexibility and autonomy that are given to employees is unmatched. Last, but definitely not least, the product and innovation keep everyone driving hard day in and day out.

Cons

Keeping a heartbeat on company happenings can be difficult if you're not in California.

"Not a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee perks are nice. work/life balance is good. opportunity to learn new things thats all.

Cons

compensation may not be as competitive, compared to other employers in the area. Manager's seem to care only for the direct reports with whom they are in good terms or maybe friends from some of their previous employers, for the rest of the people on the team its just about hard work, taking up new challenges and at the end don't expect any recognition or promotion for all the good work you deliver. No recognition for any better job done, no growth expectations. Even after putting the Manager's through all the leadership trainings I guess nothing really changes, if the nature of the person is like that.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring bad Managers and try to recognize and appreciate the value a person brings to the table and the Company Or else soon this company will be like one of your competitors whom you keep comparing.

Workday Response

Jun 27, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your feedback; we definitely value it. Our people are our top priority so it’s concerning to hear that you feel managers are falling short. We’re sorry to hear that and we’ll share your... More

"Quality Assurance Engineer"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The culture and the people

Cons

I still have not found a con to this company

"Culture is Great, Technology Not So Much"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday prides itself on its culture, and I actually feel that is a bit of an undersell relative to my experience here. This is honestly a great place to work. The company and the people genuinely care about you. Management gives you all the tools you need to succeed, and they are generally very open about encouraging PTO (it's unlimited) to make sure nobody is overworked.

Cons

There's really no two ways around this, but the proprietary "language" XpressO is not going to do anyone with further career aspirations any good. There are little to no transferable skills, and in general, it is just frustrating to use. Even the more "traditional" software engineering roles are hamstrung by the fact that the company revolves about XpressO. This creates an environment where people are either frustrated in their current positions or have been resigned to being stuck in those positions -- either is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Workday culture is top-notch, but something has to be done about the technology stack or else we are going to bleed top talent.

"Treated Like a Professional"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Given lots of independence and trust in terms of dress code, work dog program and schedule flexibility.
    People treat each other with respect and appreciation.

Cons

California is expensive for living.

Advice to Management

Reinforce with people across the company the freedoms that they have. People don't always reflect and appreciate that.