Workday Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 17 reviews)

"Keep the Faith, We still Rock."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Still an amazing org, with solid senior leadership who still want to do the right thing.

Cons

With any company that grows, new folks come in and they don't necessarily appreciate the history. They function in a manner that they know and have likely worked for them in the past.
    Base & middle management is where i see us struggle the most.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to foster the culture that built the company. Find those who live the core values and support them in leadership roles/opportunities. Continue to remind we are fundamentally different.

2. "Application Development Manager"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Management all the way to the top are very supportive.

Cons

Takes too long for the developers to get up-to-speed.

3. "Employee friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Greats perks
    Startup like environment
    Diversity
    Employee friendly

Cons

Technology used for the application developer is not going to help to market you in some year down the line as it is not used any where else.

Advice to Management

Application developer should be given some of the technology related training apart from the one used in the development so that they can contribute in different ways to company

"Great company"

Pros

Great culture, focus on employee satisfaction

Cons

Can't think of any cons

"Recruitment process"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday has great people. It has become a refuge for ex-Oracle and ex-Amazon employees, where employee abuse is rampant. In contrast to these companies, employees are treated very fairly, unlimited PTO is real (if used wisely and you get your work done). The company is doing very well with HCM, almost all tech companies are using Workday.

Cons

Other products (such as Financials) are not doing as well as HCM. It's not like they are failing, but there is much more to be achieved, and we will see if the gamble will pay off.

When it comes to recruiting for engineers, the hiring bar is wildly inconsistent. I know some crazy talented people who got rejected first round, and then some mediocre people who breezed their way in. This is unacceptable if we want to grow the company in a healthy way. There are some crazy great engineers here, who are balanced out by mediocre talent.

Like everyone else has said, pay is below the market. This can be fixed if we stop hiring masses, and choose engineers more selectively.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to standardize the hiring process, so that we can hire the best. It's better to have 5 engineers who know what they are doing, rather than 10 engineers who sort of know what they are doing.

"The best place ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leaders go out of their way to ensure that employees have a voice here. The amount of perks that we receive as employees is above and beyond. Employee programs plays an instrumental part in helping us celebrate our culture by organizing an amazing Halloween event, company picnic and meeting. For such a small staff I have no idea how they do it and they do not hire extra help either!

Cons

I have some colleagues that like to complain about everything and are frankly ungrateful of all the work that goes into creating a culture to help employees thrive while being happy. My theory is...if you complain about things where you do not understand the reasons why decisions are made, ask...DON'T bad mouth the company.

Advice to Management

There should be consequences for employees that "break" the rules and complain about things that are out of the control of the company.

Workday Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review!

"Great People, Mediocre Technology"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer III in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer III in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I love the people and culture of the team I'm on.
    - You can tell that Workday is making efforts and strides to make employees happy.

Cons

- As an application developer, the novelty of the proprietary language wears off quickly. Those more experienced (read as: more than a year) have quickly realized it's limitations. There are initiatives to relieve the pains of using the language, but I fear it may be too little too late.
    - Compensation is also below market average

Advice to Management

Give application developers a reason to stay. If you're going to force us to use a proprietary language, at least make it worthwhile by incentivizing developers via other means.

"Good for now, but talent pool is diluting"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

There are some smart engineers who are passionate about the project. The product is more modern than competitors, so the company is in a very good place to expand. Culture and values are decent as a whole.

Cons

The talent pool is diluting as the company is trying to expand and hire as quickly as possible. Nepotism is rampant...family members on other family member's teams, alumni going to their respective schools and recruiting mediocre people because they like them, or they know them...it seems like nobody is kept accountable for the new hires.
    this company is truly on the path of becoming Oracle if there is no change...PLEASE look at all other companies who have expanded correctly...Google implemented hiring committees to stop this nepotism from ruining their talent, and look at where they are..their name still has that prestige, people know they are a good company, and that they make great products.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring just to fill spots, and hire for the long run instead of the short run. When the talent pool dilutes, the technical debt piles up, and the company will die.

"This is not the company you're looking for, move along"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Work-life balance but depends on your group. Somewhat good culture but again, depends on your group. Nice people. Company cares about customer satisfaction and seems to be a disruptor in the ERP space.

Cons

Used to be a darling among startups, now just another company. Was once great, has potential to be great again (haha) in a few years, but avoid right now during this awkward and undesirable time. Workday sells their culture but that is nebulous and depends on your group. Workday uses the culture to cover up issues that would turn people away. Proprietary code only goes so far. Rampant hiring without being purposeful. Immature recent college-grad workforce and inexperienced managers. Deadweight pre-IPO people. Salaries embarrassingly below market. Don't expect to be rewarded for being a good soldier or even promotion. Location is so far away from the Bay Area and no shuttles to help out with this. Parking is actually becoming a real problem. Impossible to find a spot after 9:45am, high rate of break-ins, and a history of cars being stolen.

Advice to Management

You want to grow but also reduce costs to show non-GAAP profitability. This creates conflicting goals in orgs. It is confusing that you will not invest in your employees in the name of profitability. But then blow tons of money on an all expense paid trip to the Caribbean for sales people who already make a king's ransom in commission. Cut out deadweight, then grow nurture and reward the people you have.

"6+ years and still loving it"

Current Employee - Managing Partner in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Partner in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome organization with great benefits and product. Customers are world class and we are changing the landscape of software. The opportunities are endless with such a fast growing organization.

Cons

Becoming a large organization has lost some of the entrepreneurial feel. Lots of opportunity for those in the corporate hq.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics and keep the culture in check. Its an awesome place. To work. Don't forget about the little people.