Workday Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Sales

Workday Sales Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2019

4.1
  1. "Unlike any other company"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

This place truly values its employees and their ideas. The amount of investment in our workmates is a huge differentiator. Employees are given many career development opportunities. Management is held to very high standards and go through comprehensive training to make sure they align to and live by Workday's core values.

Cons

Finding the "right fit" in candidates will continue to be challenging as we grow. Just being talented, accomplished, driven isn't enough to have a great career at Workday. It's about how you treat others and collaborate to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue evangelizing our core values message. Any company can make money, but it takes truly special people to do so with humility and integrity!

Workday2019-09-09
  2. "Great department to kick off career"

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the best department out there to give the training and resources needed to kick off your career.

Cons

Internal grown was difficult but has gotten better from what I hear.

Advice to Management

Management is great. Any advice would be too nit picky.

Workday2019-11-01

"Sales Operations"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company as a whole is good. Lots of fun events to make employees happy.

Cons

Middle management in sales operations (deal management) is horrible. Management is mediocre and promoted to their level of incompetence who abuses power and destroys team morale. Even after several members of the team have left the company because of the this terrible middle management, the company has done nothing to remediate this behavior. Other parts of the company is great, just beware of joining their deal... management team. Worst working experience ever. Don't ever expect to grow your career within this group if you are not personal friends with your manager.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples before you lose all the good people.

Workday2018-10-09

"Protein and the department sales management goes hand in hand..."

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

During my time here I had the opportunity to travel to my area and work with some great people on my team. The regional sales team I worked with were always super helpful and willing to talk to me and help me get comfortable in the role. All of the people I met outside of CSD were amazing and really showed a passion for what they do and the company. The company itself is really well run and has tremendous... benefits and snack program that was great when you're pinching pennies and trying to save some money. Overall a great company

Cons

Buckle up gang... As you can infer from my title the management staff seems to be better trained in lifting heavy weights and flexing their so-called "muscles" than they are in the area of leading. There is this false hope that there will definitely be a spot for you after your 2 years, but not even the management can get a job anywhere else in the company. Like any good sales staff, you are a bunch of trained... monkeys who make dials dials dials! Have fun with the power hour!!! Nothing motivates you more than a bunch of gym bros yelling power hour via slack. Additionally, there seemed to be very little constructive criticism until things get so bad that you are put on a performance plan. In summary, this place is filled with false promises that no one in there can keep and they are just looking to trap you for as long as they can until you get smart enough to bail. With all the tech companies in the area, I would highly recommend looking somewhere that may be able to back up their claims of having great success at moving up in the company after your time here. If you are unlucky enough to get a job there at least fight for some equal pay. Chances are that chump next to you is making 15 K more than you.

Advice to Management

Spend a few less hours in the gym and a few more hours googling "Managing for Idiots."

Workday2018-08-07

"Not what it used to be...sales POV"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Market leader in HCM, catching up in FINS and tons of referenceable customers. Great product to sell. You can make great money here IF you have a good territory and take advantage of company-run SPIFF promotions. Great systems and enablement in place to aid in your success as a rep. Decent work/life balance. Innovative technology makes selling fun here. You will compete against free or heavily discounted vendors so... your skills will be sharpened.

Cons

Culture has been diluted due to explosive growth, frequent (and chaotic) sales re-orgs and lower than average market compensation for sales. Less than 20% of AEs make their number at Workday. Although to management’s credit, quotas were finally reduced in some market segments to right-size this issue. No 360° feedback and lots of incompetent RSDs. Overhired reps in most territories so patch shrinks every year or... shifts slightly. Deal velocity is slow at times so being mentally prepared to deal with the “valleys” as well as peaks is key. Not hitting your number is a very real possibility. Definitely a “boys club” so if you’re into that, WD is the place to be. Lack of female mentors and leadership in sales is a problem. Management is so focused on Tableau analytics and logging #everysinglething in Salesforce that it becomes a time-suck from prospecting and running deals.

Advice to Management

I genuinely love this company but there is room for improvement. For an HR company, we suck at HR. Expecting employees to go through an e-ticketing system for help (and not ever being told who is our HR business partner) is amateur hour. Stop making us pay for parking. Revamp your maternity leave policy for women in sales; it’s truly punitive and awful. Would love to see more women in sales management. P.S. Bring... Dave back!

Workday2018-06-29

"Great Company! Not so Great Department"

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workday is an amazing company. The culture of the company as a whole is remarkable. Compensation for this role is very strong.

Cons

Workday is an amazing company, however this department is a black hole. They have no real plan to get CSDs (even the great ones) out of this department into other sales roles. The management team is more like a gossiping high school girl click rather than a leadership group.

Advice to Management

Why spend thousands of dollars on training so many bright, young, talented individual if you don’t provide a path to move them further into the organization? I have met enough AES and SCs to know that a talent gap doesn’t exist.

Workday2018-06-06
  7. "Corporate Sales Development Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best Place to Work and has a great culture!

Cons

There are no cons right now.

Workday2017-11-09

"Best place to work? Not in sales."

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product. Solid c-levels.

Cons

Way too much rolling out from corporate to field sales (admin, meetings, surveys, training, more meetings, marketing, and a few more meetings,). Sales needs to be in front of prospect more. Fire drills are going to happen, but EVERYTHING there is a fire drill, making it very difficult to plan/schedule selling activity. Highly touted culture may exist at corporate, but doesn't translate to field.

Advice to Management

Establish a steady cadence in the field so the days are more predictable.

Workday2017-09-28

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

A major player in the HCM world, and coming in strong to the financials world keeps you at the forefront of the industry. Also, Workday really does care about its people. The salaries are good, great benefits (healthcare, PTO, stocks, etc.) and they have many perks - like discount services in the area, and their snack program.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done with the politicking. Workday seems to be so concerned with hurting someone's feelings / admitting mistakes in hiring that the bad apples tend to stick around for years. You just have to keep working around them, and in many cases cleaning up their messes to get your job done.

Advice to Management

The hiring practices need help: too many times I've seen people come in who presented well / had flashy resumes only to get into the trenches with them to find out that they know almost nothing about how to do the job they were hired for - even after EXTENSIVE training / assistance. Frankly, it would appear that many have misrepresented their achievements at other companies so they would get the Workday job. As the... hiring decision is often made by the department managers who have head count open it would benefit all concerned if they got a crash course on how to read / evaluate job candidates better as the interview guidelines you send out don't seem to be cutting it. Also, with regards to the perks: snacks and multiple yearly events are nice, but I would prefer to see the employee programs budget reimagined so it contributes a bit more to quality of life rather than just entertainment. Such as Ott lighting or better natural lighting in the offices (those fluorescents make working in the office very tiring), better seating (our desks keep getting smaller and smaller with each floor plan shuffle), or shuttles from the high populated Workday employee cities - San Jose, Concord,/Walnut Creek, etc. Yes, these are all big expenses, but I'd gladly trade the gifted Coke, Cheese Nips, Halloween Party, etc. for more me-time to read or listen to music to and from work each day.

Workday2017-07-18
  10. "Changing Enterprise Software"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great products, a real focus on customer success, management cares about the workers, lateral transfers are common, still a meritocracy.

Cons

Sometimes acts like a start up and sometime like a big red tape legacy organization. Very flexible working schedules and locations which makes some workers feel left out. However, there are multiple events workers can attend if they are willing to come into the office.

Workday2017-04-19