Workday Software Development Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 10, 2020

3.7
  1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part it's employees and top management that contributes to the company being one of best in its field. they have made Workday a great place to work for a reason. Witnessed Company growth that is phenomenal without losing much of its core values. For the most part very positive work environment and work/life balance. The company truly care about its employees. Very good snack programs. Great opportunities within the company and career growth, at least this is how I feel. encourages internal transfers and personal career growth but I think it is expected that employees has to be initiative. A lot technical challenges to overcome,which presents opportunity to grow and improve. Managements constantly engage with employees to find out pain points and challenges using skip level meetings, which shows they truly care or at least they are trying.

Cons

A lot of pros I mentioned might be listed as cons in other reviews. However it's very hard to give a very objective views in general about the company so in this case look at how the company fairs in "Great Place to Work.", which I believe speaks volume. Depending on the team and location same thing can be positive/cons at the same time. As for personal career growth it is expected that employees have to be initiative and actively engage. don't expect that just working hard and get recognized. don't wait to be put into position to grow. be initiative.

Advice to Management

As I said in pros, it's great management and employees that builds a great company. Advice to Management: keep engaging with employees and listen to them. there are great employees. keep the core values of being fun and employee first.

Workday2019-12-26
  2. "Great company with many perks"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday for less than a year

Pros

1. Free snacks 24/7 2. Beautiful Pleasanton campus, ideal location for Bay Area residents as you'll most likely go against traffic to get there. 3. Really interesting and forward-thinking things happening in some key departments 4. Competitive intern pay 5. Interns are treated as full employees 6. People on my team were extremely smart, articulate, and most of all accessible 7. My team consisted of some of the coolest people I've ever had the privilege of working with 8. Unbeatable work-life balance

Cons

1. Some other intern projects seemed to be less substantial, so it really depends which department you get placed with. 2. I've been waiting on a decision with my return offer for around 3 months now. They kept delaying our decision over and over again. Really frustrating. 3. No discounts at the company store for interns ;)

Advice to Management

A lot of things are being done very right at Workday, but I wish there was less red tape surrounding the Talent Acquisition department.

Workday2019-11-28
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Software Engineer Internship"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Workday full-time

Pros

The company culture is very welcoming and positive.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to get used to their framework.

Workday2019-11-08

"Not as advertised"

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Flexible work schedule -Easy enough to take PTO -Some really smart people to learn from

Cons

-Advertised as a place to grow your career but really you're most likely stuck in the job that you're currently in. If you don't like your starting comp and area, I would think hard about joining. -A Diverse Workforce is awesome and important, but Workday focuses it's culture on diversity and it's very prescribed and non-authentic. -Toxic as hell. It's all smiles inside the office all the time and management are all the happiest clams in the world. Just like at any big company, backstabbing, favoritism, "networking" are very important to do anything here.

Advice to Management

Workday's culture is very inauthentic and prescribed. Make sure that all candidates in the skilled labor force have equal opportunity, no matter their race/gender.

Workday2019-10-15

"Extremely nice and smart coworkers"

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workday has a great culture of teamwork and kindness. From what I've experienced since starting here, there seems to be a minimal amount of politics and ego issues. Work life balance and work hour flexibility is great.

Cons

Compensation is fair but not as competitive as other companies in the bay area. This might be because it's based in Pleasanton.

Workday2019-03-01
  7. "Top notch company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very focused on providing a great place to work, either in the office or remotely. After decades in this business, this is the only place I've worked where I don't think I could name a single "disgruntled employee."

Cons

Like any engineering organization, some of the technology decisions are maddening, but usually driven by keeping service reliable for customers.

Workday2019-02-26

"a very sales driven environment - to the detriment of actual engineers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

lots of opportunity to learn - particularly with the acquisition by Workday.

Cons

An over-emphasis on the role of the sales team - with a five day trip to the Caribbean for top salesmen every year, while the people that actually build the product that salesmen sell are asked to settle for free lunch on Mondays and Fridays. Unfortunately - the acquisition by Workday has slowed strategic decision making to a crawl. So great swaths of the Adaptive team are in holding patterns, wasting a lot of eager talent. Unless you are a salesman - it doesn't feel like anyone cares about your career success. The hiring process takes forever and ever - and it looks like Workday's processes will slow it down even more.

Advice to Management

Retire the entire joke set from all-hands meetings. nobody cares about the Patriots or finds the jokes funny. Your staff would rather hear strategy than thin, awkward jokes.

Workday2019-03-05

"Management, management, management."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with. Flexible hours. Quite a few perks/events.

Cons

Management is slowly getting worse. "Employee first" is no longer true for every team. Management. Management. Management. Only good when landing on the right team.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about individual growth for the employee. That's the only way talent is not lost. Some teams are being treated completely differently than others because of managers...

Workday2018-08-01
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company works hard to retain talent and make it a great place to work

Cons

Proprietary technology can be a bit uninteresting after a while

Workday2018-09-23

"Don't come here right out of college"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to land a job right out of college as a software engineer Can easily go on cruise control if thats your thing Unlimited PTO Flexible wfh policy

Cons

Coming here right out of college as a SDE really set me back in terms of my skills and my career path. The biggest obstacle is using xpresso, workday's proprietary language that is specifically designed to make building workday application features very VERY easy. Try explaining xpresso during interviews - you will be met with a lot of confused looks. It is also a skill that isn't transferrable and it silos you as an engineer - you don't get exposed to the full SDLC nor do you get exposed to industry standard technologies and practices. Too many engineering managers are questionable at best. MANY of them do NOT know how to code, nor do they have technical knowledge of how software is developed. QA is a complete joke, many QA / automation engineers don't have engineering backgrounds, workday gets away with this because WATS (another proprietary tool) is a super straight forward GUI point and click tool to write test scripts...which is why if you want a career in engineering, you most definitely do NOT want to join as QA. Obviously, most of my cons are targeted towards career and skill development. Workday's hiring bar is INCREDIBLY low, don't be fooled by getting an offer from them while you are still in college. Also, due to their rapid hiring - their culture that they were once known for is also rapidly deteriorating, maybe the higher ups don't really care since the stock price has surged?

Advice to Management

It looks like the business itself is doing well, so you guys probably overlook a lot of stuff in terms of employee satisfaction and career growth. My feedback would be to encourage the growth of your employee's skills and abilities especially for engineering - but again - you guys probably don't care since the stock price keeps going up anyways.

Workday2018-09-30