Working Families Reviews

Updated Sep 1, 2020

3.2
Working Families Executive Director Dan Cantor (no image)
Dan Cantor
  1. "Canvasser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Working Families part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Management, everyone is friendly and welcoming

Cons

Lots of Seasonal work, not a lot of full time positions

2. "Good working environment"

Former Employee - Field Canvasser

I worked at Working Families full-time

Pros

Most of the people working there were great. Training was helpful.

Cons

The hourly rate was fairly low but may be higher now.

3. "Liberal Yuppies who are not for the Working Class"

1.0
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Working Families part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros were some of the other canvassers you hired to exploit.

Cons

They posted a deceptive ad on craigslist, which promised benefits and the potential to move up after you canvass. That wasn't the case. The higher ups aren't working class. They are some yuppie liberals who endorsed a candidate that doesn't even support policies which would benefit the working class! How do you call yourself the working class part, when you didn't endorse the only candidate who represents the working class!

Continue reading

"Fighting against poor working conditions...with poor working conditions"

2.0
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Working Families full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom and self direction. Great crew, great training.

Cons

Downright shady employee conditions, got paid less than employees I managed.

5. "Great seasonal job"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Hartford, CT

I worked at Working Families part-time for less than a year

Pros

Door to door, making a difference, working with other members of field team

Cons

Seasonal work, relatively low pay

6. "The Real Deal"

Current Employee - Field Canvasser in New York, NY

I have been working at Working Families full-time for more than a year

Pros

The WFP doesn't fuss around with pie in the sky idealism, they are about affecting progressive change at every level of government through direct grassroots advocacy and organizing and they are very successful at it, as evidenced by the fights over the minimum wage, paid sick leave, and paid family leave. WFP helped win all three of those in the past 2 years alone.

Cons

Well, we're socialists. There's no Koch Network backing us up, so money's tight. They expect their fundraisers to bust their behinds bringing in the resources to keep things going and so there can be a lot of anxiety about hitting your quota as a canvasser. That can't really be helped though, it's built in to the structure of a grassroots, non-profit organization

"actually values working families"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Working Families full-time for more than a year

Pros

WFP is the first place I've worked where I felt the needs of my family (chosen and biological) come first. People are extremely receptive to taking time off when you need it, or being able to do an errand for a family member that can't. In terms of work-life balance, you're definitely expected to work often and be available some weekends -- but people respect your space when you say no, and you don't feel de-valued in the organization. WFP is also rapidly growing and expanding, and it's a really exciting time to be a part of this team as it becomes a staple in progressive political organizing.

Cons

Hours and forms of reaching people are sometimes ambiguous, which can make for slow turnaround, but overall the work gets done especially when emphasized that it is urgent. Unfortunately, that sometimes falls on the more proactive people to get the work done.

"Communications Director"

Current Employee - Communications Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Working Families full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic, innovative, passionate coworkers who are invested in making this country a better place for everyone. Collaborative work environment, feedback received well. Heading in a great direction with new partnerships outside of WFP

Cons

Need to work on diversity within team and mixing up senior leadership -- the same people have been in management roles for a long time.

9. "Canvasser"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Working Families full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, great coworkers! It's a very fun environment with like minded people that you get to know very well if you stick around. Love talking to people on the streets, its a very humbling and grounding experience - plus you get to be outdoors and not cooped up in an office. Quota system seems stressful at first but you get comfortable with it and it no longer becomes difficult to hit every week. Lots of training and helpful feedback available. Prizes and some benefits available as goals are met. Also some opportunity to network and get to know other parts of the org.

Cons

Not much growth opportunity beyond canvasser unless you actively push for it - it is a small office. It can get exhausting beyond a point, esp in inclement weather. But all in all it's a great stepping stone if you're into politics and activism.

10. "Canvasser"

1.0
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Working Families full-time

Pros

Being more politically active with a community and organization that I believe in.

Cons

Very poor management with a lack of accountability and a severe lack of training in the job. Frequent problems with communication from upper management as well as tech issues with tablets we were using in the field. Very frustrating.

Found 38 reviews