World Affairs Council - Seattle Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- intern happy hours
    - networking events
    - friendly staff
    - great location
    - working for a good cause
    - being able to attend events for free
    - great experience for undergrad students or recent graduates

Cons

- unpaid
    - there are many interns at all times so there is little to no guarantee that your internship could turn into a full time job

2. "Interning at WAC"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern

Pros

Learn a lot about non-profits, collaborate with fellow interns, have independence over your projects, free access to WAC programs, network

Cons

Disorganized work environment, not much recognition for hard work

3. "Intern Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Okay, for one Jackie is incredible. I got to intern while she came onto the team and she is incredibly bright and really cares about everyones success at WAC. There are only under 10-12 employees for the Seattle office and this gives off an intimate and friendly impression when interning. Everyone is accessible and loves to answer any questions you have, regardless of their position. There are lots of networking events and social events put on by WAC that make it great for developing your knowledge and creating closer bonds with other interns, past interns, and employees. My Program Coordinator was very clear about being able to be flexible in any area that I wanted to work on and that freedom was pleasant. Lastly, now that I've been gone from WAC I have still kept in touch with my Program Coordinator and they have been able to answer questions and give me advice for any questions that I have about my career and path.

Cons

There's a high turn over rate for interns and a lot of the work is busy work. When looking back on my time, I can't full say that I myself did a lot of the work. The employee I was working under was the one doing the bulk of the work and I was just crossing the t's and dotting the i's. If you are looking for a place to intern at and then get hired afterwards, this is not somewhere you want to be. You intern and when your contract ends you are waved off with a "good luck in your future". Don't expect to spend a lot of time (if any) with delegates that come into Seattle. This was such a bummer because I wanted to speak with them and hear about their stories and mission and instead I was having to do some of the dirty work for my Program Coordinator.

Advice to Management

Try to get to know your interns. They are doing a lot of work for the program coordinators and it would be nice to be acknowledged every once in awhile. Change some of the duties for the interns, with the work that they have now it's almost impossible to confidently put it on a resume.

4. "great learning experience, professional development"

Former Intern - , IVP
    Former Intern - , IVP

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern

Pros

Really good training for attention to detail skills; research; and editing skills

Cons

staff can be inaccessible, the work can be repetitive

Advice to Management

provide more training sessions for interns and make interns feel like a part of the organization.

5. "Great intentions; terrible execution"

Pros

The folks who work there are passionate about the mission.

Cons

Terrible management (though I hear that's changed); unclear mission and appeal to constituents.

6. "Really pleasant"

Former Intern - Global Classroom Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Global Classroom Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned with the World Affairs Council one summer as part of the Global Classroom program, and it was an all-around positive experience. The Global Classroom team has fabulous directors who work with and support the learning of their interns. A good amount of the time, there will be opportunities to work with computer programs and solve problems individually, knowing that there is someone to ask for help if needed. There is the chance to research, expand usage of Microsoft Office, and work with the team to keep in communication with students. It is a beneficial internship for first time interns.

Cons

It may be hard to build relationship with some others in the office, but this is usually remedied if you frequently take lunch in the main break room and make an effort to know everyone. There is an opportunity to learn about various work experiences from the others in the office, but you must make the effort to seek them out.

7. "Great place to start your career in International Affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at World Affairs Council - Seattle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, Incredible Global Classroom supervisors, overall passion for international affairs, opportunity to connect with leaders from around the world, interns have the opportunity to learn many skills, meet with leaders from around the world, attend internationally focused lectures and other community events

Cons

Long walk from the bus station! But a beautiful walk along the water in the summer

8. "Meh"

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

IVP is like a travel agency. You get to meet heavy hitters from around the world. The WAC's events are also great for meeting lots of interesting people.

Cons

If you don't take well to punctuating itineraries and regurgitating material for program proposals, then you won't do very well, and then they will give you progressively more menial work. As with many internships, the possibility is always there that you will be in and out without meeting people that will help you find a real job.

9. "Worthwhile only for someone with no prior work experience"

Former Intern - Intern, International Visitors Program in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern, International Visitors Program in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Theoretically this internship would open opportunities to meet many local professional people who could potentially be good job contacts in the future. Part of the internship (which is unpaid) is to set up an informational interview for the interns with a company of their choosing. The office has a nice location and the interns also have the opportunity to network with each other, as there are at any time up to 20 interns.

Cons

Too many interns, so no intern has any actual responsibility. On the other hand, the interns collectively do so much of the work for the actual staff members (especially in the International Visitors Program where I was an intern) that it is obvious they have created free time for themselves. There is a very condescending way of instruction paired with the occasional expression that the staff member didn't like their own job. Our supervisors never arranged informational interviews for us, despite repeated requests. It seemed it was because they did not want to call their contacts and ask about this. Lots of attempts by staff to posture as "professional," while in fact being mildly to quite rude to unpaid interns.

Advice to Management

I would suggest having more interns and allowing them to have actual responsibilities. There needs to be some tangible benefit to the intern from this unpaid experience. When there are job openings, I think these should be directly marketed first to the interns as well, we were all surprised and discouraged when they were not!

10. "Abusive President"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority if the staff are exceptional including the new director of IVP, but the President is a tyrant.

Cons

Abusive President who bullies employees and violates the rights of unpaid interns. Other staff members, in particular the program officers, treat interns and other staff members in a condescending manner. The supervisor of the program officers has been working on these issues since she is new, but the President makes daily attempts to sabotage her efforts and to belittle her in the process. I too left when the Board refused to remove the President.

Advice to Management

The President will never change and his behavior has most likely influence the attitude if the program officers. Remove him immediately before you lose more talented people and more students and associates in DC learn about the fact that the President and Board who are claiming to be supporters of democracy and human rights are actually the biggest violators. Shame in the Biard of Directors.