World Relief Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Stephan Bauman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Extremely high turnover in staff due to low pay, high stress and poor management" (in 2 reviews)

• "depending on branch you work at, little accountability for branch managers to be responsible and pay workers fairly" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Mobilizer"

I have been working at World Relief full-time

Pros

Wonderful organization and people, consistently lives out its mission with passion and integrity.

Cons

Lower pay, as expected for a typical nonprofit

2. "Great staff and amazing clients, poor training and little to no career advancement"

Current Employee - Office Staff
    Current Employee - Office Staff

I have been working at World Relief full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with amazing staff to serve, assist and give people from all around the world the opportunity to have a better life. Freedom to work independently and good work/life balance. Great job right out of college.

Cons

Poor training and little pay. Decent programmatic opportunities within each office, but very little long-term career opportunities or advancement.

Advice to Management

A purposeful organization that allows you the opportunity to change the world in your city with little pay and no true genuine goal of staff advancement or staff development. World Relief gives raises, but the starting wages are nowhere near other jobs, even other non-profits and human service based jobs. Too much of a divide and little understanding between staff providing services and management as well as home office and field offices - although that has improved within the last couple of years. Flexibility and work/life balance is great other than clients often calling at all hours. No true advancement other than hearing, "try to be a director someday." High turnover rate and those who stick around stick around for the wonderful clients they serve and the great staff they work with. Asking for more training is often met by management with a blank stare and no solution. World Relief needs to find a way to invest in the people they have who want to stay long term, but ultimately won't because they're burnt out from the organization getting every last thing out of them and can't because they simply can't financially afford to. World Relief is a good organization but could be a great organization if they truly focused on staff as well and not just their organizational objectives. Seems like they are content having young college grads come in, get as many years as they can out of them for cheap, and then start that process all over again. While true advancement opportunities are already difficult, organizational clickiness makes the few advancement opportunities all but impossible.

3. "Great Cause, Great People"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at World Relief full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, wonderful cause. Work is never boring because it's fast-paced. I see some improvement in the organization and the strategy year over year, but it's slow.

Cons

The work involves putting out a lot of fires--both administratively and with needy clients--so it is stressful on a regular basis. Communications within the organization are also weak, with people across so many locations domestically and internationally there isn't enough being done to keep everyone in the organization informed of what's going on outside their own office. People stick around because you can't beat the people that work there and you get a lot of satisfaction from working with the church and the vulnerable clients.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people by giving opportunities for training and development so people can make a long-term career there without getting burned out. Also put some time into developing internal communications systems.

4. "Coordinator"

I worked at World Relief full-time

Pros

Meaningful work with purpose and good intentions

Cons

Lack of respect for employees

5. "Youth Manager"

I have been working at World Relief full-time

Pros

-Making an impact in the community
    -The work is so important, especially in the current political period
    -Diverse staff
    -Local leadership is open to ideas
    -I feel my voice is heard and part of the conversation
    -You acquire skills that makes you become a master in flexibility and you must be able to pivot

Cons

-Low salaries
    -Unstable and unpredictable environment due to exterior influences
    -Not a lot of room for upward mobility within the organization

Advice to Management

The work is hard and emotionally exhausting, so to prevent losing quality employees, you must compensate them well for the work and heart they are putting in.

6. "Marketing"

I worked at World Relief full-time

Pros

Worked with talented people, great corporate culture, great camaraderie across various departments

Cons

Lack of role clarity, confusing strategy around some marketing campaigns

Advice to Management

None

7. "Little support to employees"

I have been working at World Relief full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Fair pay. Enriching experiences.

Cons

For my location, weak management. There is little support across offices and no clear path or direction on handling workplace conflict that should be handled by HR. Managers are often left unsupervised to do whatever they want. I found myself in more than one dangerous situation with a client and it was simply shrugged off by management when brought to their attention.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Make routes for conflict resolution clear.

8. "A joy to work here"

Former Employee - Immigrant Legal Services Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Immigrant Legal Services Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at World Relief full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family like environment, passionate colleagues, flexible work schedules, great location in downtown Baltimore, easily accessible via public transportation and decently affordable monthly parking.

Cons

Cramped building, not all floors/areas have windows but the space is laid out well. Great work, non-profit pay, also while there is relative job security, the majority of the work in the U.S. is refugee/immigration related so the work is highly affected by the current political environment.

"Hypocritical - WR spouts "Justice" to Market Itself, then Treats Employees Unjustly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at World Relief full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission, Vision, most HQ and Field staff.

Cons

World Relief screwed me out of $20K, yet sponsors an annual "Justice" conference. Seems quite hypocritical. When I tried to get a hearing on this, past President Stephen Bauman urged me to approach this as "friends", then promptly cut me off at the knees, ditching me off with a flunky and refusing to have any more contact with me.

Advice to Management

Try to APPLY what you claim when you advocate for JUSTICE.

10. "Great Social Service Provider"

I have been working at World Relief full-time

Pros

Good cultural atmosphere
    Provides good employee support.
    Helps employees maintain good work life balance
    Makes measurable impact in the community

Cons

Sometimes burnout becomes a very real danger