World Travel Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work From home and saves on other costs (in 70 reviews)

• Good benefits package and pricing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work from home career in the travel industry (in 7 reviews)

• They add hours on to your schedule so forget trying to manage a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Nice job that gets frustrating over time"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home. Can be a fun job, helping people plan vacations is enjoyable. Can develop lots of repeat customers who become friends.

Cons

Misleading marketing results in a lot of unhappy callers. Unrealistic expectations. (two thirds of agents aren't meeting "expectations" which makes those expectations meaningless)

Advice to Management

Get realistic expectations. If two out of three agents don't make a goal then maybe the goal is not realistic?

2. "Wth"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexiibility, work from home, team members, travel opportunities

Cons

Management, avaya phones bad quality

3. "Worthwhile if you are good at phone sales"

Former Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home- based job, can make a lot of money if you are able to keep customers engaged

Cons

They train you too fast to really understand the products

Advice to Management

You need more time for coaching.

"Great Intentions in a Challenging Environment"

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do try to treat their employees right and create an open and transparent culture, as much as they can with everyone working from home. As an example, they give employees an HRA fund to help offset healthcare costs. Don't know any other company that does that. The opportunity for a good living is there with this company you just have to be patient and work hard. I hear scheduling is an issue for some, but honestly, that's what we signed up for to service people when they're available! There are so many people that I've seen grow and move into other positions with the company and that is awesome. I would recommend them to anyone.

Cons

There are positions that pay less than others but we don't have to pay for a lot of things that come with working out to home so it makes sense. This is a virtual work from home company for the majority of its employees, so there are some challenges when it comes to staying connected but they are always trying new things.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep putting employees first and building programs to keep people feeling connected and you will continue to succeed and improve.

"Some good, some not so good, but great experience for a virtual job."

Former Employee - Virtual Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Virtual Travel Consultant

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

Working from home. Flexible scheduling if you understand the scheduling process. Pay is not as good as it could be but is adequate considering you are working from home. Good benefits package and pricing.

Cons

A little micromanaging can go a long way. A lot is just too much. Requiring extra training for cruise line specialist courses is time-consuming and you get nothing for doing the work, except your regular pay. The absentee policy is too stringent.

Advice to Management

Let experienced agents use their past experiences at selling. Most people who are calling want pricing and special incentives only. Make automatic Thank You emails to booked clients a MUST. They really do help and they give the agent information in the closing of the email not in the invoice . Make the incentives requirements easier for booked clients to understand and follow. Place them in an email not the invoice.

6. "Travel Professional"

Current Employee - Travel Agent
    Current Employee - Travel Agent

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fully trained every week through agency

Cons

Self-paced training with time limit

7. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

Love this company, great culture

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

8. "Okay Job"

Pros

Work from home
    Provide equipment

Cons

Training is A TON OF INFORMATION
    You don't necessarily have the job quite yet
    There point system is horrible not realistic to fit someone's life

9. "Chicago IL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work this is the place for you.. They try to give you the schedule you need but call volume comes first but they will work with you. They are always teaching you so your never in the dark about things great company

Cons

Non that i can think of you get to make money in your pj's

Advice to Management

Ive never had a problem with them.. They are always friendly and willing to help

"It's what you make it."

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LOVE working from home. Obviously the biggest perk is never having to leave my comfort zone. Got rid of my car and my savings account is actually growing for once. One awesome perk about WTH is you can relocate to pretty much anywhere in the country you want to go, and take your job with you. Just have to have internet/phone at your new place obviously and let them know where you are. I will be taking advantage of that soon. I wear whatever I want, have my dog on my lap most of the day & can have dinner cooked and my house cleaned on my lunch break. My teammates are the best part, I can chat with them all day and they make it fun. It's not lonely like you would think it would be, you will definitely make friends. Long hold times waiting for cruise lines to pick up leave a lot of time to be on fb or laughing with your buddies in team chat. Definitely feel like part of a team where I have constant access to my teammates/friends (who started out as my training class) and management, but mostly I work independently and never feel "watched" or bothered. Clients can sometimes be fun to work with. Tons of hours available to make extra $. Training is excellent and thorough and the trainers are very available and continue to teach you after you are done with their class. 99% of people you talk to in your average day who work for WTH in any capacity are very friendly and helpful. They have a reward system within WTH where you can give each other points for basically doing what is expected of you (teamwork!, etc) and redeem for prizes and it doesn't take long to get a redeemable amount of points without really trying. Cruise lines also offer "prizes"/points for selling and a few give us free cruises when we complete our training with them. Pretty neat. *Most* team leads and people in positions to "help" are friendly, funny, positive and encouraging and there is always extra training or other resources available if you need some extra coaching. If you want to succeed, this company will go out of their way consistently to help you. Lots of people complain about the metrics and related stress but I never think about it, I just do the best I can one call at a time and my metrics are always in the acceptable range. When you do well they brag you up in the company wide emails.

Cons

They misrepresent the availability of shifts during the hiring process. Yes they are open 24/7 but you have to be here for a long time to get any kind of shift that starts earlier than 10am or later than 1pm so be prepared to spend the bulk of your daytime at work and do not plan on getting the shift differential as those shifts are just "taken". Also they do add on mandatory OT at their discretion and they do it a lot. Your days off are left alone but I usually have only 2 or 3 days out of a 2 week pay period that are not extended by at least an hour. So pair that with the shifts they let you choose from, and kiss your life goodbye. Pay rate per hour could be better. Customers often speak to you like you are a robot or an idiot. You need to call the cruise lines constantly and hold times can be crazy, which gets boring and leads to crappy surveys from clients which factor in to your metrics. This contradicts my "pro" regarding hold times, but like the title says, its what you make it. Lots of repeat issues with service calls which gets boring fast, and lots of people calling just to argue about pricing which gets boring fast. Also, *some* team leads are ghosts who clearly do not care and always leave you hanging. It's the luck of the draw who you are assigned to. Travel discounts from WTH are actually nothing much to speak of when you really break it down, I don't know anybody who has actually won a cruise or fam trip (other than the ones the *cruise lines*, not WTH, give us) so ignore the hype about that, and you probably won't get vacation time anyway. Constant emails updating you on the sales rankings can be annoying if you aren't having a great sales day/week/whatever, which really isn't in your control because most of the calls for this position are service and you need to nail pretty much every sales call you get to be a "rockstar" and therefore have a passing interest in the constant emails. Bear in mind half of your sales calls are just people who are price shopping and have no money lol.

Advice to Management

We get the message that opportunity for advancement supposedly exists, but could you tell us where/how? I reached out to several members of management and HR during my training period inquiring about common advancement paths, what additional training I could take, what are the other job descriptions or titles I could work toward and was basically told to worry about the job I already have. Makes it hard to make WTH part of my long term plans. Also, please hire some spanish speaking agents, or schedule us training in spanish (since we constantly have mandatory ongoing training anyway about stuff we already know). We lose a lot of business because we can't communicate with half of our potential clients. Hard to understand why there's not a spanish department but your agents don't have any hours left in the day to learn a second language outside of their working hours.