World Travel Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Work From home and saves on other costs (in 69 reviews)

• Good benefits package and pricing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work from home career in the travel industry (in 7 reviews)

• They add hours on to your schedule so forget trying to manage a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Don't buy into this company's deceptive recruitment marketing"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aside from the fact that you work from home, NOTHING.

Cons

Low wages, employee abuse and neglect, inhumane scheduling, and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and get a new scheduling procedure. If you continue to abuse your employees your company will go under. Hiring large groups of people every year because most agents quit is a really bad look.

"Travel Pro"

Current Employee - Travel Pro in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Travel Pro in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, which is not always a pro, but has it's advantages.

Cons

Company is struggling and looking for ways to cut expenses, therefore paying us less. Each year I work harder and make less than the year before. Schedules are horrible. Not a good choice if you have kids, or a life.

Advice to Management

Lack of integrity, unfare pay scale, shady advertising, these are the reason you get bad reviews and lose your best agents. By the way, the last few reviews look fake. Any 4 star or 5 star reviews about great new schedule policies (which we all hate) are probably fake. Especially from Virginia Beach.

"Prisoner of your own home."

Current Employee - CCR in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - CCR in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No commute, but I would drive an hour each day for a better company.

Cons

I literally became a prisoner of my own home. No work-life balance. Schedules change constantly, they're always telling you to work through your breaks and lunches, they add mandatory hours willy-nilly and they deny PTO requests because of "business needs."

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses and address what's really wrong. Show ACCOUNTABILITY. You preach it but don't uphold it for yourselves. Stop robbing your employees paychecks.

"Villa Division"

Former Employee - Villa in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Villa in Wilmington, MA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, that's about it. Nice co-workers and flexible hours based on need of customers.

Cons

Poor leadership. Managers were tyrants. Upper management has no clue and watching senior staff lose their jobs to downsizing is very concerning.

Advice to Management

Your company is not all that

"Travel Pro"

Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

I have 15 years of experience in telesales. The job was sold to me as a very low base pay ($8-$10 per hour), but the opportunity to make LOTS of commission. Training was thorough, colleagues were excellent, and the big bonus was working from home.

Cons

Compensation is absolutely minimal for a sales position. I kept the position for almost a year because I was pregnant, and my average take home pay was $700 every two weeks, even though I sold thousands in cruises. No ability to negotiate hourly pay, micromanagement is an issue, monitor everything, and you MUST work on holidays, especially if you're new. I do NOT recommend this company. As an employee, I felt that the job and pay described were very misleading.

Advice to Management

Create a better compensation plan for your sales people. Reward employees with positive behavior. Change the negative work environment to a positive one. Hey, we're selling Cruises here!

"Just a number"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansdale, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansdale, PA

I worked at World Travel Holdings (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had some wonderful colleagues and working travel experiences. Concierge services are excellent in the villa department, and there are some true expert professionals on the team.

Cons

Over and over they would bring outsiders in to try and manager the luxury niche (Villas). They basically Cruisified the department. Each person had different base pay and incentive goals, so someone producing 25% more than another person may end up making the same amount of money. The goals would increase by 10-30% each year, different by person. Each year you had to work than much harder and unpaid overtime to attain the same amount of take home pay. After I was offered a new position, presented as a promotion, that was to pay less money, I decided to leave the company. You have to accept the your initial hire pay for the long haul and expect to have your hours shifted.

Advice to Management

For the Villa department, you should hire management from within the team.

"BEWARE! This company has NO loyalty to its employees!"

Current Employee - Expert Travel Professional/Trainer in Not, MO
    Current Employee - Expert Travel Professional/Trainer in Not, MO

I have been working at World Travel Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are NO Pros to list, There are NO Pros to list, There are NO Pros to list at ALL.

Cons

They woe you in and promise you everything you want to hear, you build a solid book of business then they send you on your way and keep your customers.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the same respect you give to your customers. You go out of your way to give customers promised things so that negative word of mouth does not make you look bad, but you forget it is YOUR agents who are doing ALL of the work.

"You're going to want to pass on this one"

Former Employee - Travel Pro in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Travel Pro in Wilmington, MA

Pros

I was going to say the novelty of working from home, but that eventually loses its luster. I have nothing stellar or even remotely good to say about this company.

Cons

Don't be sold on the dream. I should have known what I was getting myself into from how they facilitated the training. You spend most of the training period learning information about the cruise industry and different ports of call that you will never remember, and apparently it's against company policy to utilize their training resources off the clock to become more familiar with the industry as a whole. Your last two weeks of training is when the focus is somewhat shifted to learning the actual sytem you will be using, and becoming familiar with the sales process or as they call it, "customer connection". It's honestly all a joke. This company is run by people who I wouldn't let manage a fruit stand. There really isn't a sales component to this job except selling insurance, and setting follow-up appointments. What they fail to tell you in training is that they filter calls based on popularity. If you don't kiss management's butt then you most assuredly are getting less desirable calls. I spent the last four months of my employment with this company wondering everyday whether it would be my last. It was a nightmarish experience. Now let's get to pay. As a travel professional you get paid $8 per hour or your booking commission, whichever one is higher. You have the opportunity to bump the $8 per hour to $12 if you have a 25% conversion, and you're taking atleast 1 call per hour. Year to date I brought in almost 900k in revenue and made the company over $120,000.00 in net profit. My take on that was a gross of 19k, so about 16k after taxes. Do a quick cost benefit analysis and see if it's worth it because it isn't. Working harder doesnt equate to making more money in this organization. You're at the mercy of management. If they like you then you will get decent calls, and if they don't then you might as well get a second job or start looking for employment elsewhere. I have a feeling this company will eventually run into legal issues due to wrongful termination complaints and inequality in the work place issues. By all means, steer clear.

Advice to Management

No sense in wasting words of advice. They wouldn't listen if the success of their company depended on it.

"worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

training was okay, but you will learn that the training was all false information to provide positive outlook on the position.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. They do a massive hiring before wave season and let 90% people go afterwards or several employees quit before wave season is over. They force you to work long hours with minimal pay, the management are on a power trip. If you are looking for a longterm position this is not the place to apply.

Advice to Management

management is on a power trip.

10. "Travel Agent"

Former Employee - Virginia in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Virginia in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Good training, ok travel benefits

Cons

hours were not flexible, pay was not great, cut throat due to commissions, other employees would still your sales and you did not get adequate help from supervisors.