World Travel Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work From home and saves on other costs (in 68 reviews)

• Good benefits package and pricing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work from home career in the travel industry (in 7 reviews)

• They add hours on to your schedule so forget trying to manage a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Chicago IL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work this is the place for you.. They try to give you the schedule you need but call volume comes first but they will work with you. They are always teaching you so your never in the dark about things great company

Cons

Non that i can think of you get to make money in your pj's

Advice to Management

Ive never had a problem with them.. They are always friendly and willing to help

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

Customers, benefits, money and being able to work at home

Cons

Schedule changes every 13 weeks

"Loving working for this company"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home, opportunity to move up in the company, recognized for doing well, coaching and assistance always available.

Cons

Too many pats on the back. You receive emails constantly about your stats. Some people may need this, I for one, already keep track of my work, so it's not needed. Schedule scarves every quarter based on performance. That can be a gripe I hear about a lot.

Advice to Management

I think once a day stats is appropriate. Emails constantly hammering you on performance numbs the sales agent. It isn't necessary.

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Travel Pro in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Travel Pro in Orlando, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work from home. No one nags me because I do my job. I love being independent. I feel respected by my employer and I feel I can call anyone in management with a problem and they are there to help. Love the travel benefits!

Cons

The schedule is not always what I want but it will change in 12 weeks.
    Some Team Leads seem a bit young and inexperienced. (some are awesome and very helpful)
    Dealing with snarky customers can be awkward.
    Compensation could be better

Advice to Management

Please find a way for a better work/life balance.

"Great Place To Work! Love working from home"

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is so much support while going through training. All of the resources are very easy to find. The calls are not what I am used to having worked in the contact center industry for 24+ years. Meaning, they are so much easier than what I am used! The coworkers are great. I am so pleased I accepted this position and love my job.

Cons

Honestly, the only con I have found is the schedules change every 3 months. I'm flexible so it's not an issue with me.

Advice to Management

None. I am very pleased with my job.

"Great!"

Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can work from home, great support team and excellent benefits. Your earning potential is in your own hands.
    You also have the opportunity to go on Fam Trips, to see the product that you are selling.

Cons

Changing of compensation plans in favor of upper management, sometimes made for a hostile work environment.
    Caused the loss of some very good employees judging from their sales figures.

Advice to Management

Keep compensation plans simple. In the training department it is very important that the person has a sound knowledge of Geography!

"Great place to work from home"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, the company is an excellent place to work. No previous travel experience needed, 6 weeks of paid training, plenty of PTO and sick time offered, and well above average starting pay for entry level employees. Plus, the majority of the company is a virtual workforce, so you can work from home. No commute means no gas expense. Excellent training means you dont need to have a ton of travel experience, just the ability to interact with people and sell vacations.

Cons

The only real con to this company is its scheduling system. Shifts are assigned every 12 weeks and are mostly determined based on your performance, call handling, and attendance...hardly radical ideas. However as a 24/7 company this will (and does) leave some people with undesirable shifts that don't work with their personal lives. This can seem draconian, especially when it happens to you, but it is very well advertised both in hiring and training that this will be the case....its not a surprise.

Not really a con, but the company also uses a fairly straightforward attendance policy that rewards people that actually show up for work on time and penalizes those that don't, regardless of the circumstances. This comes as a rude awakening to those people that have been habitually late or have lots of "life happens" days at previous employers. It is by no means a one occurrence system though, there are plenty of opportunities to have "life happens", as it does to all of us. I felt I should put this in cons based on how many reviews spoke ill of it.

The travel industry is by nature seasonal, and as such, hours and work load can fluctuate from busy and flush with sales, to bored and hurting for hours. The company does a pretty reasonable job of balancing this with scheduling, timing their hiring season, and offering both a commission based position and an hourly based position.

Advice to Management

Entry level pay is good, especially with no experience, but the hard cap for most positions is only slightly above entry level. This does not leave a lot of drive and ambition to increase performance once capped, other than the threat of termination. This can lead to a culture of "just doing enough to get by". Removing these caps would reward long time and devoted employees and give a target for those just starting, all for a very marginal increase in operating costs.

Advancement is available, with a focus on internal candidates, however openings for higher positions are scarce, as most of the workforce is in customer care, not support or management. This is another reason why there should be higher pay caps for hourly employees, and a higher base line for commission based positions.

Benefits are great, but health insurance premiums (as they are everywhere) are ridiculous. I don't feel like a lot of attention is paid to this other than "This is what we have from our insurance provider, take it or don't." More communication of health care benefits, what you're doing to bring down premium costs through negotiation and shopping around, and most importantly how the coming ACA changes are going to affect us and our pay checks would go a long way to reduce the burden your employees (and yourselves, since you supplement the plan) pay for health insurance.

"Challenging, gratifying work with some excellent people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the Good things that stand out to me are:
    1) Transparency and communication are high throughout the organization. You know how well the company is doing at all times and feel like you have a stake in it's success.
    2) There is committed, engaged ownership who are experienced in travel and genuinely enjoy being in the travel space.
    3) I have an open, honest relationship with my boss. There is very little I feel I can't share and I get regular performance feedback, both positive and negative. It is empowering to be given a clear sense of how I need to improve and where I'm doing well.

Cons

So many "priorities", not enough hands to accomplish them. The projects multiply like rabbits around here to the point that sometimes it feels overwhelming and unfocused. There is also a bit of an entrenched way of doing things, which limits testing new ideas/approaches.

"yes i can attitude."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

best service provided good guest communication and handling chutes.

Cons

to be on time according the guest .

Advice to Management

more provided job opportunity.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive environment and wonderful people to work with. Great perks!!

Cons

Only 2 weeks of PTO per year which makes it difficult to take advantage of some of the travel perks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing a great job! Consider increasing PTO as you are a bit below what other work at home companies offer.