World Travel Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

World Travel Holdings Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

Pros
  • Work From home and saves on other costs (in 65 reviews)

• If you want to work this is the place for you (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before (in 6 reviews)

• They add hours on to your schedule so forget trying to manage a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Great Training- Not So Great Job..."

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nashville, TN

Pros

Work at home, great training, great people, great incentives.

Cons

Horrible schedules, strict start/stop times (by the minute), Not a travel agent basically a telemarketer.

Advice to Management

Look for telemarketers not experienced travel agents since this is a waste of time for us with a big book of business.

"Diverse business model; shaky leadership"

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

WTH offers a fun working atmosphere in the exciting industry of travel. The business model of the company is solid: selling cruise vacations (with a white-label solution) and luxury vacation rentals.

Cons

Better leadership at the executive level could propel WTH to greater heights. Absenteee VPs with no knowledge or interest in their reporting staff severely hinder the opportunities for faster growth.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the needs of your existing employees. Everything is not as rosy as it seems.

"CCR"

Current Employee - CCR in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - CCR in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Virtual position which is convenient as well as the additional financial savings associated with a work from home position.

Cons

Your work schedule is subject to change due to industry seasons and demand. It is a 24/7 operation so holidays are always included

Advice to Management

Have lower management more involved in the daily work load and assisting in the call flow when necessary to ensure clients are taken care of in a timely fashion.

"Decent job"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home a definite plus

Cons

Work/life balance is not good...long hours away from family is difficult. You are assigned additional hours whenever management feels like it not taking into consideration that we have lives and families. Company makes empty promises that it will change and its hard to get a good schedule. Management should hire the right number of people and consider our scheduling needs. Not impressed with management.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to take a good look at middle management and team leads and staffing numbers to accommodate work flow. There should be temps for busy time so you don't burn out your employees.

"Low wage increases"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Travel benefits, work from home

Cons

Scheduling and shift bids not fair

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to accomodate people scheduling needs. Also to take up so many hours in people's lives salary needs to make sense.

"good company- depends on your role and your supervisor"

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

Excellent travel discounts, great people, those in non-agent/corporate roles have flexibility and better pay. Ability to work from home. Helping people book a dream vacation.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance in agent positions - have to work at least one weekend day, strict attendance policy. A lot of unhappy people based on changing priorities within the company. Unhappy customers can be tough to deal with.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, teach the team leads and sales management to have a little more tact and compassion when dealing with people. You've lost a lot of good people over the years, many could have been prevented if you would have cared a bit more.

"Sell vacations, but don"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Riverside, CA

I worked at World Travel Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, work from home, can make pretty good money, fun industry. Some travel perks, feels like a little family, even if you never actually meet anyone in person.

Cons

Travel Pro's don't get paid vacation. Well, the really bad ones do, but not the good ones. They give you 2 weeks time off at like $10/hr. So, if you make $25/hr while working, that time off is nothing more than that. So, save $$ for your vacation and for bills, all you really get is a little time off, NOT vacation, from WTH.

Advice to Management

Not only should you pay actual vacation to your sales force (how would it go over if you announced you would be paying $10/hr for vacation for all positions?), but how about giving a little more time off? Maybe 2 weeks paid and 2 weeks doing what you do? You should maybe require sales agents to take 2 weeks a year on the kind of trips they sell. They would be better representatives, more intimately knowledgeable and happier. I know I'd still be there. Everyone laughs when I tell them how much in liked my job at the vacation company but that I had to quit for the lack of vacation.

"Travel Pro"

Current Employee - Travel Pro in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Travel Pro in Tampa, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to make good money. Freedom to work from home. Travel discounts. Great co-workers.

Cons

Long hours during busy season, January through April. It can be difficult to make a good paycheck during the slow season, September through December.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance is a big problem for those of us with a family. The bottom line is what counts, I get it, so I don't see this changing anytime soon.

"I loved it until reality kicked in"

Former Employee - Travel Pro
    Former Employee - Travel Pro

Pros

When I first started working at WTH I was absolutely fascinated, enthralled, and grateful for being part of such a great company. I felt like it was a positive working environment full of amazing leaders who were going to help me reach my full sales potential. I came to work everyday happy, willing to work my butt off and go after every sales opportunity.
    Then reality kicked in.
    After 2 years, I had become worn out, beat up, and in a total burn out. As the shiny veneer started to peal off of WTH's positivity stance, the truth came out. No one at this company really knows what they are doing, and about travel in general.
     Management was constantly changing, and every team lead gave me the same canned advice in terms of sales. I was reaching out to them because my numbers were good, but I wanted to be better and excel as much as I could. The only advice I got was , " Love your job", " Follow up, follow up, follow up." and nothing that I couldn't figure out myself.
      Then when it gets rough and you have a livid customer of the phone, a cruise line who didn't give a customer what they were promised, or a magical price increase on your booking that you didn't even do, they seem to somehow disappear.

Don't get me wrong, as a starting travel agent job this place is fantastic. However, after you realize there are more opportunities out there that won't cause you having shingles and staying awake at night wondering if you're going to get fired over having an Agent
    Error, good luck finding another travel agent job again unless you make yourself learn SABRE, actually learn how to do land bookings, and learn what a real FIT rez is... because no one will hire you. WTH's claim to the ' best trained travel professionals' is a total joke.

WTH needs to work on maintaining employes, vrs the revolving door of new people coming in and people always leaving. It'd be better for customers. It'd be better for the company. Yeah, I worked my butt of while I was there and loved it at first, but once I realized that no one knew what the hell they were doing and the bi polarness of being 'the favorite agent' one week to worried about losing your job the next gets extremely old.

Cons

-Terrible management
    -No clear standing on if your job is in jeopardy or not
    -No help with learning how to be better as a sales person
    -False positivity
    -HIGH turn over
    - A job, not a career, as much as you will try your hardest to make it your career and passion

Advice to Management

Work on keeping your people

"Not loyal to employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, flexible scheduling for non-agents, fun and friendly co-workers, plenty of training available, great product offerings, travel discounts

Cons

The company loves to talk about creating loyalty. Unfortunately, they are not loyal to their employees. The pay scale is WAY below average and almost insulting for the combination of experience and education they request, along with their drawn out hiring process.

Advice to Management

I truly believe the owners/CEOs are good people, with good hearts and good intentions. I would urge them to consider rewarding long-term and top performing employees. I don't mind a heavy workload if I'm being paid fairly but please don't take advantage. Also, please provide a clear career path. No one knows what is a promotion, what is lateral, etc. We want to work hard for you, as we love the company too -help us!