World Travel Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

World Travel Holdings Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work From home and saves on other costs (in 69 reviews)

• Good benefits package and pricing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work from home career in the travel industry (in 7 reviews)

• They add hours on to your schedule so forget trying to manage a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Prisoner of your own home."

Current Employee - CCR in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - CCR in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No commute, but I would drive an hour each day for a better company.

Cons

I literally became a prisoner of my own home. No work-life balance. Schedules change constantly, they're always telling you to work through your breaks and lunches, they add mandatory hours willy-nilly and they deny PTO requests because of "business needs."

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses and address what's really wrong. Show ACCOUNTABILITY. You preach it but don't uphold it for yourselves. Stop robbing your employees paychecks.

"Villa Division"

Former Employee - Villa in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Villa in Wilmington, MA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, that's about it. Nice co-workers and flexible hours based on need of customers.

Cons

Poor leadership. Managers were tyrants. Upper management has no clue and watching senior staff lose their jobs to downsizing is very concerning.

Advice to Management

Your company is not all that

"Travel professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the time flexible schedule.

Cons

The plans within the company keep changing affecting sales pay

"Nope, I'll Pass!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get to work in your PJ's, as they advertise!

Cons

Metrics are extremely difficult to meet. Not only must you obtain new bookings by a certain margin, weekly, you're also expected to service ALL of your customers ongoing. Difficult to balance the above while also squeezing in new reading material, slides and videos in between calls, which are mandatory. Travel insurance is where the money's at! If you don't push for travel insurance your not making money. In truth its all I really focused on. A lot to juggle. I did find my manager to be really laid back even while checking up on me the minute my numbers slipped. Definite pressure to sell. At the end of the day you MUST love Sales to appreciate this job.

Advice to Management

Selecting normal 9-5 hours should not be reserved for senior employees or based on your performance measures. If you don't sell much you get the worst hours available. And you must be willing to work all shifts coming into the company. Which is open 24 hours a day. I generally met the metrics needed to keep a 9-5 schedule. But I pushed hard for it.

"Micro-Managed Hire to Fire"

Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Work from home, good initial training, various schedules, computer provided

Cons

The company gives you "metrics" that no one can meet. They hire in binges, then fire off 90% of new hires within their first year, most within the first three months. They constantly bombard you with call listening sessions and tell you what you should have done differently. If your sales are high, you should have taken more calls. If your call volume was high, you should have sold more insurance. There is never a time that they will say you are doing a great job and just continue what you're doing.

Advice to Management

There are so many levels of management, which costs the company money. That keeps the salaries lower than they should be for seasoned employees. Most employees just endure going to work every day, and enjoy interacting with the clients. Almost all employees who leave do so because management is constantly grading them and telling them everything they aren't doing well. Even the top employees who make the company big money get this treatment. It is across the board and makes for a very stressful work environment where every meeting with a manager makes you worry that's the day you'll lose your job. That mentality needs to change. Reduce the management levels, increase the incentives and create a stable work force that clients flock to.

"Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Great incentives-free cruises-people are great!!

Cons

Pay is a little lower than average, you can make more but you have to work hard for it!!

Advice to Management

None

"Great Training- Not So Great Job..."

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nashville, TN

Pros

Work at home, great training, great people, great incentives.

Cons

Horrible schedules, strict start/stop times (by the minute), Not a travel agent basically a telemarketer.

Advice to Management

Look for telemarketers not experienced travel agents since this is a waste of time for us with a big book of business.

"Travel Pro"

Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

I have 15 years of experience in telesales. The job was sold to me as a very low base pay ($8-$10 per hour), but the opportunity to make LOTS of commission. Training was thorough, colleagues were excellent, and the big bonus was working from home.

Cons

Compensation is absolutely minimal for a sales position. I kept the position for almost a year because I was pregnant, and my average take home pay was $700 every two weeks, even though I sold thousands in cruises. No ability to negotiate hourly pay, micromanagement is an issue, monitor everything, and you MUST work on holidays, especially if you're new. I do NOT recommend this company. As an employee, I felt that the job and pay described were very misleading.

Advice to Management

Create a better compensation plan for your sales people. Reward employees with positive behavior. Change the negative work environment to a positive one. Hey, we're selling Cruises here!

"Vacation Expert"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Non traditional job selling cruises and advising customers on great vacations

Cons

The company is quick to discard employees when things don't go how the culture in that particular office wants regardless of how good of an employee or job you are doing.

Advice to Management

Look beyond only what your employees are hired to do, they are full of talent that can be used in so many ways.

"Just a number"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansdale, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansdale, PA

I worked at World Travel Holdings (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had some wonderful colleagues and working travel experiences. Concierge services are excellent in the villa department, and there are some true expert professionals on the team.

Cons

Over and over they would bring outsiders in to try and manager the luxury niche (Villas). They basically Cruisified the department. Each person had different base pay and incentive goals, so someone producing 25% more than another person may end up making the same amount of money. The goals would increase by 10-30% each year, different by person. Each year you had to work than much harder and unpaid overtime to attain the same amount of take home pay. After I was offered a new position, presented as a promotion, that was to pay less money, I decided to leave the company. You have to accept the your initial hire pay for the long haul and expect to have your hours shifted.

Advice to Management

For the Villa department, you should hire management from within the team.