World Vision Reviews in Federal Way, WA | Glassdoor

3.7
World Vision President Richard Stearns
Richard Stearns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Supportive environment; strong work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Supportive work environment for all staff (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenging work life balance overall (in 8 reviews)

• Limited opportunities for promotion and career advancement; no other strong cons, as long as you come in expecting non-profit salary ranges (in 10 reviews)

1. "Employment at World Vision"

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am so excited to be working at World Vision. Not only is it a Christian organization, but it is a place where Christianity is lived out in its very vision "when you do for the least of them, you have done for me". I'm proud to say I work for an organization that stands behind its promise.

Cons

I don't think there is a downside to working for an organization like World Vision. What it does is holds us accountable for our actions, words and deeds. Sometimes this can feel a little restrictive, but it is good for us.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and welcoming to your staff. My welcome to WVUS has been overwhelmingly positive. The process of getting hired is a little arduous, but I would assume that is an attempt to get quality people. The downside is that quality people are often the first ones snapped up by others and WV may miss out.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager\Work Intake Coordinator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager\Work Intake Coordinator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working towards helping the poorest of the poor is very rewarding experience and World Vision does it better than anyone else,

Cons

Being a non-profit organization we frequently have to do more with less so at times that can be very challenging.

"Love this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of people who genuinely want to make the world better. Companionate and smart co-workers that challenge you to be the best at what you do. Pay is good for a non-profit. Allowed a work from home one day a week schedule. Had a once a month self-improvement time to take a class or work on improving your job training.

Cons

Unfortunately, It's very hard to get the right people in the right jobs because they can make more money somewhere else like Microsft or Google just down the street. This causes the wrong skill set for some jobs and it slows down the work. It also can take up to a year to get the right people in the job opening so it can double your work load. If they were able to do more of a work from home work plan they may be able to get higher qualified people in.

Advice to Management

Not really to Managers but to HR. Please try to push more work from home so that the more qualified people want to come to work there. It's an amazing company and it deserves to have the best.

4. "Great non-profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, World Vision is a good place to work:
    -Great people.
    -Good work/life balance.
    -Career advancement opportunities.
    -The charitable model and the work being done around the world is impacting millions of people every year.
    -Positive Christian environment.
    -Great new COO who is changing things for the better.

Cons

-The salary is below market value (but that's to be expected for a Christian non-profit).
    -Very bureaucratic (but new COO is fixing that).
    -Undisciplined business practices (again, COO is fixing).

"Too much churning"

Current Employee - Marketing Management in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Management in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cause! Like Pacific NW

Cons

Too much churn and expensive to execute the causes.

Advice to Management

Stop philosophical discussion. Let's do something to make a change.

6. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time

Pros

Great mission and people. I loved my time at World Vision. Flexible work schedule depending on who you work for.

Cons

Difficult to advance your career. Lots of lateral movement. You experience depends on the team you work for. Some great managers and healthy teams. Other teams, not so much.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training managers. Create better consistency. Improve value to loyal employees.

Jun 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for your advice. Your comments are spot on with our focus on managers, improved, standardized and simplified processes. We've got work to do and we are committed to staying the course in... More

7. "Fantastic Place to Learn!"

Current Intern - Intern in Federal Way, WA
    Current Intern - Intern in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision as an intern

Pros

I work with some of the most qualified fundraising professionals in the nonprofit sector. It's wonderful to learn from such seasoned fundraisers and project managers. It's an incredibly positive and friendly work environment, and everyone is truly excited about their work!

Cons

There are few young people, as the positions require many years of experience. These standards are much too strict to hire young talent for full time work. I also find it interesting that most of the employees I've come in contact with are working at the WVUS Federal Way HQ office as a second career. Hiring interns just doesn't happen.

Advice to Management

Focus on finding and promoting young talent. Keep the culture about the Lord and children around the world, and you will continue to succeed.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their work has powerful impact hear in the US and across the world. They produce some of the best content of any organization I've ever worked with. You certainly get to play a part of something bigger.

Cons

They mean well, but often bureaucracy, silos, and keeping information as currency kills great ideas and disrupts progress. Often the requirement for buy-in across large cross functional teams muddles the outcome of projects. The work cut off and be done with half to one third the people involved. More agility is needed.

Advice to Management

Change. Trust the experts you have employed and give them more power to make decisions that can drive results. Hire more experts at the top of their field. The investment will be worth it. Yearly surveys don't cut it.

Apr 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

Improving our agility is a key focus for us. Some of the elements you describe - eliminating bureaucracy, hiring experts, enabling the right people to lead out versus having too many people involved... More

"Prospect Development"

Current Employee - Research Director in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for an organization that does so much to improve lives of families and children around the world. It feels wonderful to be part of such a noble cause.

Cons

The complexity of the work can be daunting.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clear communications regarding annual goals, what changes the organization faces, and continue to invest in people who do the work.

"Place of hypocrites"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are few wonderful people there

Cons

The company is full of people who have big egos and are hypocrites. They pretend to be humanitarian and Christian and go to donors to get funding but they treat their employees very badly with racism and evil soul. There is so much hierarchy and unfairness.

Advice to Management

You need to act based on what you pretend to say to donors.

Apr 7, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

It breaks my heart to read your review. We are listening to our employees through a number of venues - anonymous surveys, focus groups, employee emailbox to senior leadership and more. And, we are... More