World Vision International Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
World Vision International President & CEO Kevin Jenkins
Kevin Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Offers competitive salary, with work life balance and (in 8 reviews)

• Great work environment for clearly inspiring cause in a faith based atmosphere (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent staff turn over which affect work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• like any other non profit, pay is low compared to the private sector but that is to be expected (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great organization with a great mission"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at World Vision International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working in an organization where a meeting / conference call can consist of people from 20 different countries! Staff are smart, driven people. Salary is fair for a non-profit.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge given limited resources and global presence. Working beyond normal business hours was expected to meet with staff in different time zones.

2. "Staff Attorney"

Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at World Vision International part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Legal team is small, but extremely well balanced, knowledgeable, and easy to get along with. Legal portfolio covers international legal matters (contract, IT, trademark, HR, etc.) requiring travel, daily contact with foreign legal counsel, and assessment of legal risks. Generally, work with senior management in country offices (i.e. national/country director, operations directors, etc.) or regions.

Cons

As a nonprofit salary was fair, but not as high as private sector. Work Life Balance can be demanding especially as foreign offices may be on a different time zone requiring early morning or late evening telephone calls.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to do something that has an impact on the world and can allow me to use my professional skills

Cons

Can be hard to get a good job.

"Great place to work. Information Technology"

Former Employee - Director in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Monrovia, CA

I worked at World Vision International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are great and fun to be around. This is a non-profit so salaries are slightly under market value.

Cons

Frequent turn over at the CIO level presented challenges for a unified strategy.
    Work life balance needs to be managed. Its very easy to work yourself into an early grave.
    Changes in global philanthropy will force all NGO's to explore new revenue streams.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to admit failure and move unqualified staff into other roles quickly.

"Short review"

Former Employee - General and Team Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - General and Team Manager in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High degree of trust between supervisors and staff; everyone supported the same mission statement of the organization.

Cons

Too many and too frequent organizational changes and team reorganizations. High level of anxiety while going through annual budget setting processes.

6. "Working for World Vision International"

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, faith development, personal growth, supportive leaders and management.

Cons

Salaries are competitive with other NGO's, but it is low in comparison with for profit.

7. "Friendly people, bureaucratic structure"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Monrovia, CA

I worked at World Vision International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I met on my team as well as other departments was genuinely kind, loving, and wanted to be at World Vision because of the good work this company does in the world.

Cons

Higher management is not always looking out for the best interest of current employees, they favor external candidates rather than developing internal talent.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for current employees to grow in their careers.

Apr 19, 2017 – Employment Branding

A full life for every child--it's such an empowering thing that resonates through all of our goals, staff members and drives the good work we do around the globe. Thanks for recognizing this and your... More

8. "A Great Place to Work During Adverse Situations"

I worked at World Vision International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Trys to be a positive, supportive environment, even when during a long term financial downturn

Cons

Huge infrastructure makes it difficult to react quickly to changing times

Advice to Management

Once a turnaround plan is approved, do not delay in executing it!

"I love working at World Vision"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love waking up every morning knowing I am headed to work at an organization that is making a difference around the globe. I do not work in the field or with the children and families we serve directly, but my work in corporate marketing here at World Vision still makes me feel like I am a part of something that truly matters. I have had excellent colleagues who have become friends and have been blessed to work for managers who really have my back.

Cons

It's a non-profit organization, that means money is always tight. Sometimes I feel like the organization prioritizes the least expensive option and sacrifices quality and time.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job becoming more accessible and transparent. I would love to see this continue even more!

Apr 19, 2017 – Employment Branding

Thank you for your review of working at World Vision International, we value your encouragement and feedback.

10. "Meaningful Work & Strong Company Culture"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a large International NGO with over 40,000 employees, World Vision is able to maintain a friendly company culture across continents and cultures. World Vision is a reputable organization that is making a real impact in the world and I feel fortunate to be a part of that positive change.

Cons

The complex organization structure sometimes leads to some bureaucracy, but this is not uncommon for for such a large international organization.

Apr 19, 2017 – Employment Branding

It's true, one of the best things about working with World Vision International is our amazingly talented and diverse global employees. We pride ourselves in maintaining the friendly organization... More